Rumor: Dragon Age Getting Multiplayer

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Oh the humanity. Dragon Age: Origins was so awesome, DA2 was playable, and now they are gonna ruin everything. This is what happens when you sell out to EA. Bioware used to be so cool.

Chase Yojimbo

The Samurai Sage
Sep 1, 2009
I FUCKING KNEW IT! I knew this would happen eventually, and Bioware would buckle down to EA's retardation. Bioware is now dead to me. Single-player is now officially dead, for only companies like Bethesda stand as a beacon of hope (Obsidian gives Singleplayers a bad name though). I don't want to play with my friends, we never get together for such events on common grounds. Dragon Age is for fat nerds who don't generally have friends, not Modern Warfare tards who friend random people on facebook.

Despite this being a rumor, the fact that it even is a rumor frightens me.

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
sir.rutthed said:
Fucking... Why does everything need multiplayer? I wanna play alone damnit! Origins really was the end of an age, it seems. Fare thee well, strong narrative driven RPG's that kick your ass at every turn...
dude come on, skyrim.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Flight said:
If that's the case, I certainly won't be buying it. I liked the first Dragon Age, and I'm considering checking out the second, but this just sounds ridiculous.
Don't check out the second one. It's not worth it.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
If this is implemented well, it would actually be fun. But it won't be implemented well, because tactical/pausing heavy RPG combat and multiplayer do not play well together. Now Jade Empire multiplayer, that would be a different story...

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
hey, remember the time when Jim Sterling said that not every game needs multiplayer?
and remember how he said that Skyrim proved it's true?
and remember how another example was Dragon Age?

well by my illogical logic, you just killed Jim, Bioware.
murdered him in the face, behind his back.
you're also now owned by Taiwan.
and they hate you for killing Jim.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
42 said:
sir.rutthed said:
Fucking... Why does everything need multiplayer? I wanna play alone damnit! Origins really was the end of an age, it seems. Fare thee well, strong narrative driven RPG's that kick your ass at every turn...
dude come on, skyrim.
By 'Narrative driven' I meant 'not open world' and more linear and traditional in nature. Which Skyrim really is not.

SAMURAJ

Mar 20, 2009
Bioware was in a vegetation state after releasing "dragon age" 2 and now Bioware died !!!
well let's go back to DA:O and Shogun 2 !!!

thespyisdead

Jan 25, 2010
should i even be surprised, after bioware announced multiplayer for ME3

i'll say this one more time: do not shove multiplayer into a game just for the sake of multiplayer

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
SnakeoilSage said:
AugustFall said:
This is absolutely true. I want my cleave back! That bloody rocked for clearing out mobs. The older games were clearly attempts at creating a DnD style game, hence the settings of Neverwinter and Baldur's Gate which I think is a major fault of the newer games in that they stray from it. I felt like KOTOR was the perfect mix of engaging combat with control over a party of chars and the customization available from a DnD-esque game.
Aye! We want our Cleave! A few tweaks and you could kill everything within melee range.

Well it's hard to start from scratch and make a setting as incredible rich and detailed as the Forgotten Realms, which has been enriched over the decades with contributing ideas. I think the Dragon Age setting has potential - or at least did before EA got their hands on it.

Knights of the Old Republic is also based on the Wizards of the Coast Star Wars RPG; I really wish you could be some other race than a human in KOTOR. Gamorrean Jedi!

I really would have liked to see a game that covers a vast chunk of Faerun (the central continent in the Forgotten Realms setting), with a table-top battle system (turn based, following D&D rules) and gameplay. The point of the game isn't to play out a pre-made campaign (although one would be included), but to be a means for players to play D&D together, with all the benefits of a video game. The GM creates the campaign using a simple editor that allows him to pick a location and build from there, creating quests and plots, and if the players just wanna dive into a dungeon, the game would be packed with them, including famous dungeons created for the table-top editions.

That would be the perfect RPG.
Yeah that sounds awesome. For DnD virgins like myself it would be a nice easy way to get a group of friends together to try it without all the peripherals required to play DnD. However the DM's job in that setting would be minimal as it would be a lot harder to come up with stuff on the fly and to incorporate it into a game.
I was pretty annoyed to hear the next NWN is going to be an MMO, it seems like WRPGs were gradually moving to the point where we are today where the graphics and power of the machines could create incredible stories and settings but now that we are here everyone has abandoned it either in the way that DA dropped the established setting and others expanding into MMOs.

Pandabearparade

Mar 23, 2011
Bebus said:
Bioware fans in 'refusal to buy game before knowing the smallest thing about it' shocker.
I gave Dragon Age 2 a chance despite misgivings, and I was burned for sixty dollars. Not happening again.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
Volothos said:
getoffmycloud said:
To everyone saying Bioware has sold there soul all im gonna say is neverwinter nights had PvP so this isnt new to them and if you were true older bioware fans like you all claim to be you would know this
This is an interesting comment. Sadly, it'll be ignored :(

Also, i never tried a NWN game, how are they?
yeah I know it will but never mind :(

The first one is pretty awesome never really played the second one as computer couldn't run it very well but the little bit I did play was fun

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
getoffmycloud said:
To everyone saying Bioware has sold there soul all im gonna say is neverwinter nights had PvP so this isnt new to them and if you were true older bioware fans like you all claim to be you would know this
Pahaha, you think Bioware fans are going to be rational? You clearly haven't visited the Bioware forums. Quoted for truth though. Bioware made Neverwinter Nights, which had multi-player, so it's not like this is unheard of.

Anyway, OT: I love how everyone is saying "SKYRIM PROVED YOU DON'T NEED MULTIPLAYER" and don't even give passing nods to the other large single-player games released this year:
Dragon Age 2 (even if you hated it, it was a critical success and a big release)
L.A. Noire
The Witcher 2
Infamous 2
Alice: Madness Returns
Shadows of the Damned
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3DS
Limbo (Arguably, it was released on XBLA in 2010 but retail, PSN, Steam and etc. in 2011)
Bastion
From Dust
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Ico & Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection (If I put Ocarina of Time, I might as well put this too)
Batman: Arkham City
Sonic Generations (Does have online leaderboards for zone clear times, but that's about it from what I know)
Super Mario 3D Land
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

And Single-player with Co-Op but not competitive multi-player just for the hell of it:
LittleBigPlanet 2
Two Worlds II
Red Faction: Armageddon
de Blob 2 (big for Wii owners at least)
Hunted: The Demon's Forge
Kirby's Return to Dreamland

Now, granted, Skyrim may have out-sold all of those games, but don't pretend it's the only significant single-player game released this year.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
AugustFall said:
Yeah that sounds awesome. For DnD virgins like myself it would be a nice easy way to get a group of friends together to try it without all the peripherals required to play DnD. However the DM's job in that setting would be minimal as it would be a lot harder to come up with stuff on the fly and to incorporate it into a game.
I was pretty annoyed to hear the next NWN is going to be an MMO, it seems like WRPGs were gradually moving to the point where we are today where the graphics and power of the machines could create incredible stories and settings but now that we are here everyone has abandoned it either in the way that DA dropped the established setting and others expanding into MMOs.
Well MMO's are really the easiest setup for game developers. You don't need a lot of content or story, its nothing more than a glorified scavenger hunt. World of Warcraft is slightly steering away from this; Cataclysm boasts some minor region-based storylines, and many dungeons have some interesting challenges besides just bashing things.

Still, these are not true RPG's and I'm not happy about WRPG's steering in that course, because WoW has had years to polish and tweak itself and very few other developers are willing to take it that far... they just want a fast, simple, cheap MMO to make them fat subscription dollars.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
getoffmycloud said:
Pahaha, you think Bioware fans are going to be rational? You clearly haven't visited the Bioware forums. Quoted for truth though. Bioware made Neverwinter Nights, which had multi-player, so it's not like this is unheard of.

No I haven't been on the Bioware forums but they way you describe them it sounds like a great place to annoy some fanboys

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Thank God I'm not a Bioware fan, otherwise my heart would probably be breaking right now (if it didn't already with DA2).

Instead I'll just exude a sigh followed by a headshaking smirk.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
getoffmycloud said:
No I haven't been on the Bioware forums but they way you describe them it sounds like a great place to annoy some fanboys
It's . . . hard to describe. I'll let Sir Alec Guinness do it for me:

Well, I couldn't find a shorter clip, but the first 14 seconds are the relevant bit. Just replace "Mos Eisley Spacesport" with "The Bioware Forums".

It does have some normal threads, but . . . overall, it's a pretty creepy place, filled with hatred for Bioware over every little thing they do.

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
SnakeoilSage said:
AugustFall said:
Well MMO's are really the easiest setup for game developers. You don't need a lot of content or story, its nothing more than a glorified scavenger hunt. World of Warcraft is slightly steering away from this; Cataclysm boasts some minor region-based storylines, and many dungeons have some interesting challenges besides just bashing things.

Still, these are not true RPG's and I'm not happy about WRPG's steering in that course, because WoW has had years to polish and tweak itself and very few other developers are willing to take it that far... they just want a fast, simple, cheap MMO to make them fat subscription dollars.
Agreed, I have played a bunch and there is a burn out factor. I love guildwars as it had a coherent story behind it and the multiplayer was very fun. Looking forward to GW2. But it wasn't a WRPG. Honestly Skyrim may have divided a lot of people but the perk system which adds new gameplay elements as you advance has totally engrossed me just the same the feats in KOTOR and NWN did.
Also it has no multiplayer and has sold very well (I don't like Jim but that was a good point he made) so hopefully this will push a movement of Single Player RPGs.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
AugustFall said:
Agreed, I have played a bunch and there is a burn out factor. I love guildwars as it had a coherent story behind it and the multiplayer was very fun. Looking forward to GW2. But it wasn't a WRPG. Honestly Skyrim may have divided a lot of people but the perk system which adds new gameplay elements as you advance has totally engrossed me just the same the feats in KOTOR and NWN did.
Also it has no multiplayer and has sold very well (I don't like Jim but that was a good point he made) so hopefully this will push a movement of Single Player RPGs.
I thought that the improvement system in Skyrim was fantastic, a stroke of genius that should find its way into more RPGs. As much as I enjoy a good set of character classes, Skyrim pretty much made the whole concept obsolete. Implemented into an MMO, I would design it so that character have a base class (like Tank, Healer, Striker, whatever) and give each one a set of skills that work similarly to Skyrim's, with perks you can purchase. And THEN I would give it a Talent tree, to tweak what Perks you have so that you can be, say, a hardcore Archer Striker or a jack-of-all-trades Tank who can control crowds with two-haned weapons or defend with shield and one-handed weapons, or bolster allies with strategic commands.

I've got to write the stuff down...