Rumor: Force Unleashed 3 Cancelled and Staff Axed

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
cancelling a sequel to a game that hasn't even been released yet? that's a new one, don't they usually wait for the numbers to come in first?

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Hmm.. I would think the people who should be most concerned by this are all of those who have shown extreme interest in TOR. Yes, the game will finish development under Bioware but, really, development on an MMO actually never ends. This new boss seems a bit of a control freak and, unless there is some sort of contractual obligation that says otherwise, I could see LucasArts trying to take over control of TOR once the initial development is finished. TOR might look good now but how is it going to be once it's past the launch stage and is firmly in the hands of the possibly inept LA staff.

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
As I was scrolling down the page I read this too fast and only saw the italicized Unleashed and thought it said Uncharted and I nearly shat a brick.

Rayjay06

May 13, 2009
I guess my dreams for a PROPER Knights of the Old Republic sequel have been shattered (assuming this is true).

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Honestly, I can't help but wonder if this will cripple TOR at the onset. Without the ability to release new retail content, they'll be stuck either with the microtransaction route, and end up in the same vein as a lot of Korean MMOs or they're going to be stuck with a slowly dying product...

DocBalance

Nov 9, 2009
That's it, who wants to start a riot with me? We gonna burn this monkey-hugger down, aight?

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Some of you need to get educated... Star Wars: The Force Unleashed was supposed to be a trilogy from the moment they started TFU2. The rest of my comments... will have to wait.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Force Unleashed 2 looks like it will be epic, and he may have cancelled a 3rd instalment! I hope he doesn't last long!

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
Now now lets not be so hasty to be so deflamatory towards this guy. Who's knows what he has planned and whether this will be in the best interests of the company or not. Perhaps by down-sizing the company and abolishing outside development this will mean greater creativity within the company for more focused and possibly even totally original games to be made by Lucasarts. Granted losing outside developers like Bioware or Travellers Tales and the possibility of great Star Wars titles might not seem like a good move from where we're sitting as gamers who've reaped the rewards over the years but perhaps this will now mean there will be less Star Wars games being churned out all so often and more focused development occurring. Don't get me wrong, I love Star Wars games but not when their being made simply to bank on certain releases or shows for the main purpose of reaping money which I'm afraid is the truth when it comes to many games in the Star Wars universe as of late such as the Clone Wars games or the new Force Unleashed 2 which I'm pretty sure they made mainly for the profit.

I mean c'mon Starkiller died in the first game, it was a great, dramatic and unexpected ending and they should have left it at that and continued on with other things. But no, The Force Unleashed, despite being rather average gameplay wise, was the biggest selling Star Wars game to date so naturally they had to make a sequel even if they had to use some questionable storyline.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
TehIrishSoap said:
The 2nd One Isn't Even Out Yet! Couldn't They Just Concentrate On The Task At Hand?
Spam Making Titles gets you an F

Because then you get the repeatable BS

Release -> Review Critics Sales -> Decision -> Make Sequel

Also:

Battlefront 3?

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
...yikes. So, you've hit on a winning strategy by partnering with other companies to release games based on older IPs, you've got a hit new IP within the Star Wars universe with a hotly anticipated sequel coming up that you probably can milk for another couple runs, you've got loyal and knowledgable people onboard... and then you flush all of that rapid fire. Wow.

I hope for their sake this is a rumor, or if true, heralds their return to being a powerhouse internally as far as development is concerned. But you don't fire developers and programmers when you intend to expand internally... might be more of a tolling of the bell for the dead than a wake up call to action.

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
That unnamed project better not be Battlefront III. If it is, his head will be on a pike sitting on my front yard. Force Unleashed 3 shouldn't happen though, there are way too many trilogies with stories that are just dragged out. I'm also pretty sure that Starkiller died...

InnerRebellion

Mar 6, 2010
Paksenarrion said:
They're going the casual route. Instead of Force Unleashed 3, it's Forceville. You train various padawans for a particular amount of time, then you kill them when they're ripe, earning you force points and midichlorians, which allows you to train more padawans. Also, it's going to be ported only to PC users...

...via Facebook.
Ahh that made my day.
OT: It says rumour, which means exactly that...but if it's true, I shall paraphrase the Queen of Hearts, "Off with his head!".

Darkgoosey666

Jul 18, 2010
Right now hes not sounding to cool to me- i loved force unleashed and cant wait for 2, however if the 'unnamed project' is battefront three, i honestly would rather have that.

Jim Grim

Jun 6, 2009
Does... Does this mean less chance of Battlefront 3? Cos I don't want to lose all hope in that area.