Rumor: Mass Effect 3 Getting "Better with Kinect"

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Iggy Rufflebar said:
while irritated that it is the most likely cause of the delay for the release date my main concern that the use of kinect will be mandatory...
Calm down. It can't be mandatory. ME3 is a multi-platform game.

GreyKnight3445

Nov 2, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Flame shields up everyone. This is gonna be a doozy!

"Better with no bugs" would be preferable.

cap`n tha flame shiels `ave ova`loaded, we`re takin brain damage from fanboy fire!

Darthbawls77

May 18, 2011
"Apparently, the folks at BioWare have been cooking something that all hardcore Mass Effect fans have been clamoring for: Kinect support."

Um, no we havent -_-.

robandall

Jan 25, 2010
LavaLampBamboo said:
robandall said:
LavaLampBamboo said:
What you said.
What I said.
What you said.
I wouldn't really call that a "claim" as, from what I've seen, there isn't a core game that's been built from the ground up for Kinect. I also think that some people didn't receive the message as intended - people want more core games, *not* more core games for Kinect. It's about wanting mice, keyboards and control pads - not wands and gestures. Now I have a Wii and some games with motion controls are fun but, really, I think most of them would be fine, if not better, without them.

Similar to product placement - EA benefits as, I would imagine, MS paid them a substantial amount of money, in one way or another, to include Kinect support. ME is an established franchise and it using Kinect would benifit MS in a number of ways. MS's "core support" agenda gets a bit of easy credibility, Kinect potentially gets more exposure with core gamers and MS avoids the messy business of making a good core game, that is actually better for the inclusion of Kinect, themselves.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
NO body except the ones selling Kinect thinks this is a good idea.
Too bad they are the ones giving wads of cash to the devs.

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
You know - you won't NEED Kinect to play the game. It'll prolly only amount to a couple of small features that those who don't have a Kinect motion sensor really won't care about. So stop your bitchin' already!

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
LavaLampBamboo said:
Not one for raging, but here we are.

Give it a fucking chance, people! The whole internet complains "oh motion controls only have party games, let's get some real games!" and then it happens, and everyone loses their shit over it.
Absolutely no one says that.

In fact, the thing people are worried about is the tacked on entry of motion controls in hardcore games, because then it would cease to be a hardcore game.

The kind of people who are complaining about this realize that it's going to be a "point to what you want to say" gimmick that will be outdated in less than a year and will not add anything to the gameplay except a headache.

darksaber64x

Aug 15, 2008
I don't care if they want to make a kinect game, but leave it for something that's NOT a very popular series.

Make something new, or a Mass Effect spin off if they want to pull something like this.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
spartan231490 said:
Thanatos5150 said:
spartan231490 said:
Between this and the continued "stream-lining" (read: dumbing down) of this series, I really don't think I will even play ME3.
Please explain, in detail, the nature of this complaint to me. Please. I Want to understand where you're coming from.

(On another note, bugs will always exist in programmes.)
The dumbing down argument? It's been covered pretty well elsewhere, but I will try to point out the specific things that bugged me.

The armor and weapon system. I thought that the organization of the ME1 menu was horrible, but the armor choices added a level of depth. Some people say that there was always one "best armor" and that choice was meaningless. This doesn't hold out with my experience. You usually had an armor that had high shields and high armor values, and almost no tech/biotic protection, and another that had high shields and high tech/biotic, and pretty often you had one that just had ridiculously high shields, and low everything else. I played the ridiculously high shield armor all the time, because it fit the style of my character. They should have revised the menu of the system, not taken the inventory system out entirely. Same with weapons, you usually had a choice of comparable weapons with one having the most shots before overheating, one having the most damage, and one having the most accuracy. These were choices that could complement or even define the combat style used by your character, which really added another layer of depth for me.

Thermal clips, completely defeats the idea of a weapon that needs no ammo but can overheat. It was so much cooler to have to control your overall rate of fire, then just to reload like in every other shooter ever.

My favorite part of ME1 was the way the retical expanded while firing. It made it more realistic and immersive, and less repetitive, than the traditional perfect aim you see in shooters, where recoil seems to have no effect whatsoever. This was taken out in ME2.

The smaller list of powers to choose from and the global cool-down took away a lot of options and combinations, and generally made your party weaker. Especially when you're in a tough fight with low cover, if you have to keep rezing party members, you basically can't use any of your main characters powers, because you need to be able to rez without waiting for a cool-down.

ME1 felt like an RPG, there were flaws but instead of addressing them and fixing for ME2, they just removed the systems entirely, pidgen-holeing the player into set styles of play. ME2 had really fun smooth combat, but it felt like a shooter, a limited shooter at that, not an RPG. As someone who loves the RPG feel of ME1, as well as the different ideas they tried like the expanding retical and the lack of a need to reload, I was very disappointed by the cowardly approach they took to ME2. Instead of expanding on the innovative ideas and fixing the unwieldy menu systems of ME1, they just took the easy way out and removed everything that made ME1 unique and fun, leaving behind a disappointing futuristic shooter. Even the level design in ME2 was more linear, leaving only one or at most 2 ways to move through the levels. In several ME1 levels, there were so many forks and interconnected paths that I would often get slightly lost, and I loved that about ME1.
Oh hey, everybody.

What this guy said.

Omechron

Apr 15, 2009
The only way I would be interested in this is if it used facial expression recognition to read your reactions and add more depth the the branching storyline that is really the only good thing about Mass Effect in the first place. Don't take that as an insult, it's quite a thing, but honestly... take it away and all that's left is a rather bland shooter.

I remember when the Project Natal videos hit youtube and Peter Molyneux was talking about how it would read your expressions and pick up on them and then it showed us Milo and it seemed to be more about small movements and body language. That's what I want in Mass Effect Kinect. That, and maybe speaking dialog choices aloud. Doesn't Kinect have a mic for voice recognition? I seem to recall hearing it did. I don't have one.

I should have known better than to believe words that came from Peter Molyneux. All that talk about immersion and recognizing subtle gestures... instead we got motion controls and jumping up and down.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Have fun with that, kiddies. I'll be busy playing the functional version on the PC.

hiddendragonv5

Apr 18, 2009
Kinect is a bad idea you can't make the game more inpactful with motion control I think that it will kill the flow of the game when your killing someone then a watching shep starts freak out becouse you steped of the scaning area. I hope you can turn it off without it having to be a part of core gameplay.

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
If there's a gun sensor like Killzone 3, sign me up. If not, at least make the Kinect the optional feature for those of us who still can't afford the upgrade to the next-gen Xbox 360.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Blah blah blah Mass Effect blah blah blah Kinect............................................................................

No, no, no, a million times no.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Damn you Microsoft, damn you to hell!

Herianden78

Apr 8, 2009
If they throw in a bunch of random kinect shit on ME3, I'll probably just end up buying it for PC. I don't want a bunch of retarded gimmicks in my most anticipated game of all time.

Zac Smith

Apr 25, 2010
Kinect may be good to casual gamers and people that aren't fat and lazy...but I am none of those

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Looks like another shit-storm heading this way...

I'm not exactly sure how they are going to implement the Kinect into Mass Effect 3, but I just hope that they don't change the entire game just to shoehorn them in.

My guess would be that they'll use the Kinect to scan player's faces and use them to create a custom Shepard.

And I just realized how funny that would be if guys did that with a FemShep, or vice versa.