Rumor: Modern Warfare 3 Going Epic With Huge, Destructible Levels

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
AbsoluteVirtue18 said:
I do not care...about...destructible environments! My name...is AbsoluteVirtue18! And I will have my...information on whether or not Soap survived the end of Modern Warfare 2.
My money is on him doing a Han Solo carbon freeze.

AndrewOfHell

In-Beta
Dec 8, 2009
awesome cant wait for the next COD! better have WAY more guns than black ops has, and some nicer graphics. really hate it when games cut corners on textures, models (especially enemies!).. but ithink it will be cool no matter what, i trust em.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Taking bets on what the useless sidekick with the same voice actor who's name starts with G's name is. I say "Grape"

Lightning Delight

Apr 21, 2011
Shreder55 said:
I still don't care. Modern Warfare 2 was bad and so was Black Ops so I feel no need to get hyped over what will eventually be the same game with only like two "new" features.
Agreed. The series has pretty much deteriorated since Modern Warfare (excluding World at War, if it was any good. I never got to play it), and I don't know whether they will be able to handle a change to the old formula. This sorta reminds me of all the MMO's that try to overthrow WoW with a WoW clone. You don't beat WoW with a WoW clone, so you can't beat Battlefield with a Battlefield clone. And by clone I mean stealing one element of the game.

Smerf

May 4, 2011
all i can say is NOT ANOTHER ONE!!!! at least do what valve does and wait a few years before releasing it

ezeroast

Jan 25, 2009
Destructable environments? Sounds like they have to build a new engine to me but i could be wrong. I guess it comes down to how destructable they are going to make it. If they went full 'frostbite' then lol yea i'm betting on a new engine and a long production time

Hachura

Nov 28, 2007
Over COD to be honest. I can't keep answering the call of duty once I return to the battlefield in November.

I'll buy MW3 for the story and see how it ties together in the third act, spec ops was kinda fun in MW2 as well so I hope they don't ditch that.

I quite liked where the fake trailer 'Find Makarov' was going though - HALOing into Moscow to nab Makarov and bring him to the world's attention. Check it out on Youtube if you haven't already, impressive bit of special effects work.

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
Hachura said:
RobCoxxy said:
Gee, I wonder where they got that idea from?
The original Red Faction of course! No two ways about it :)
ah, damn.

Ahem. I meant
Gee, I wonder where they got the sudden desire to do something another franchise does from?

Safe.

Why do I care

Jan 13, 2010
Hey, that's not totally trying to compete with another game that has that exact same feature.

I personally would stick with battlefield.

qwertyz

Mar 19, 2011
I'll stick to Battlefield 3, thanks. After Black Ops, the gameplay just seems... stale to me...

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Fuck MW, the only thing I like about the series was Ghost and they killed him without hesitation...-_-

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
Y'notice how everyone's always looking forward to how awesome the next Call of Duty is going to be, only to go back to the previous one because "this one sucks"?

Yeah....

SuperNova221

May 29, 2010
Urgh, it's just a pissing match between battlefield and IW to see who can make the most things explode persecond. MW2's problem wasn't that they didn't try hard enough to be epic, it's that they tried far, far too hard. They need to tone it down.

Edit: I can't see anything good coming out of this in terms of multiplayer, I've played lots of destructible environment games offline and offline, and don't particularly like any of them. Although technical limitations explains a lot of my complaints. Also, if you have TF2, look at the developer commentry. See how much thought, work and care went into every detail of every map. Destructible environments ruins all of that. Not that there would be any care or thought other than "That would be pretty sweet" into any of the maps. But it still ruins it. It ruins everything they know of map designing. They need to adopt a different approach to accomodate destructible environments, which I really don't think they can pull off.

thinking more about singleplayer, do we not have enough things exploding already? I'm going t oreference Yahtzee's review of Crysis 2 here, he mentioned that every time a building blew up it had some impact since they weren't falling down continuously since the start. CoD is the opposite of this. Where everything blows up. All the time. Making even more things blow up won't have any impact on the player, but on gameplay? Might ruin the cover based rail shooting that they usually adopt. So lets hope they can change their style there too.