Rumor: More Evidence Suggests Always-Online For Next Xbox

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Genocidicles said:
As bad as this sounds, I know idiots will still buy it.

"Who cares if I'm being fucked in the ass by Microsoft?! I GET MY SHINY GAMES YAY!"
Yea, you know, I think the last thing to surprise me about gamers is how many bought a console that had a 50/50 chance of bricking and charged you to play online.

I don't think they're really planning on doing all that. But you never know. Hell, given what gamers have put up with this generation, maybe they're just looking for the absolute limit. If they're able to wring enough money out of those consumers who aren't completely turned off, it will be a success for them...based on current corporate looter culture.

Speaking of Mitt Romney, is that the cackling jittering visage in your avatar Genocidicles? That shits going to give me nightmares.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
If true, Microsoft won't simply be shooting themselves in the foot, they'll be blowing their own fucking legs clean off.

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
I for one am happy with this, after all, Microsoft did such a fantastic job with GFWL I can totally trust them to give this new console an unobtrusive, fully functional, bug free and fully supported in all regions DRM.

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
IF this is true than this is a deal breaker for me. This'll be the first console generation that I pick up a PS4 than an xbox.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
So, let me get this straight. They're shipping us a console that will inconvenience the end user, incorporating the worst aspects of PC gaming without any of the benefit, with a forced motion controller?

MicroSoft won me over from Sony this generation with the 360. Looks like if this is true that Sony won me back.

First off - motion controls. Why? A controller works perfectly. It allows us to express our actions with tactical feedback. Even the Wii was better than the Kinect because, despite its flaws, there was tactical feedback - there was feel. Kinect didn't work becase using a glitsy webcam to work games was not only finnicky and glitchy, but it just wasn't fun.

And I don't know why they're thinking that inconveniencing the end user is a good thing. My gaming room is not big enough for the Kinect to pick me up. My internet cuts out because either the bill doesn't get payed or natural disasters - I should note, this happens far more than my electricity goes out. Why should I be forced to give up convenience because they want to be anal about things? The point of technology is to make things more convenient.

I'm sorry, but I hope this is all just crap. I enjoy console gamigna s much as PC gaming, but MicroSoft is really just taking a shit on us if they expect us to put up with this crap. No one asked for this stuff. No one begged for the next Xbox to force you to have Kinect, or force you to be online. So why do it? Do they have a crippling fear of success?

Silverbane7

Jul 1, 2012
well i have to say, im part worried and part 'Meh' *shrug*

on the one hand, i do most of my console gaming (most days, when its not too cold to be in my room cause its a loft...so its freezing in winter and boiling in summer lmao. thank hell that english summer is like a month long XD) on my newer 360. had to replace my old white arcade+hdd after RroD and USB fail (got her reflowed, but then a month later the USBs fell) and got the newer 250g black one.

and i can tell you, i dont WANT allways online. i have about 50 games for 360. and out of those.... only 5 or so have multiplayer as an option. the rest are 1 player. i nevr use gold, only have the net connected via LAN so i can send messages to the fiance, but now he uses his PC all the time *shrugs, then slaps microsoft for moving everyone to skype, i dont touch that crap*

and built in kinekt? puleese. why would i want to buy shovleware, i didnt get it from nintendo... *glares at the satanspawn that is star wars kinekt* my loft is too small, to close to my tv and..guess what? i dont have a pure plain totaly flat wall behind my bed, even if i DID want kinekt.
and why would i want my one bought from microsoft film (Zardoz, of all things XD) to suddenly stop and come up with a message that 'sorry, playback will only be resumed once you have paid for the multi user licence, there are too many people in the room for the licence you originaly purchased. would you like to go to the Store?' stuff that!
*pulls out her dvd copy bought from Oxfam* HAH

if allways online is simply a case of 'i must be ABLE to connect' rather than 'i must MAINTAIN A CONSTANT 2 WAY CONNECTION' then thats not so bad. but why would you need a permanent connection allways pinging you back and forth, if your not playing CoD or other games where your on a server to do anything?

i dont usualy choose one console over another, at least, not for anything other than a specific game... i use my ps3 for the FREE uTube (so clear ^^) and to run the net for my mom downstairs. i use my 360 for most bethesda games, mainly becasue befor now, my PCs couldnt handle them (baby can now tho ^^) and i get my wii and DS for my zelda and naimal crossing. but the nextBox is looking more and more like its going to be a NotBox :(

*peers curiously at SteamBox as a replacement* hm..Linux eh?

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Uhm... whats happened to 'just put your disk in the drive and play' advantage consoles had over pc's? why is everybody suddenly deciding you have to install everything before you can play it?

Admittedly, these are all rumours, but everything seems to be suggesting that 'ease of use' and 'customer enjoyment' are being treated as dirty words for the next generation.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Strazdas said:
The_Echo said:
Always online? Well, that's gonna suck major ass for people with bad Internet connections.
Or maybe people with bad itnernet connections will finally wake up and start demanding their ISP to stop charging them a fortune for some crap connection that became obsolete 20 years ago....
I'm... I don't think that's how these connections... work. And it's not always about ISPs charging a lot. Some people just plain can't/don't feel the need to afford a great connection.

ellers07

Feb 24, 2013
Well, that sounds awful. I have really enjoyed my Xbox 360. I occasionally connect it to the internet in rare cases where I want to download some DLC or play some multiplayer and I have never wanted anything to do with the Kinnect. Assuming this is all true, I will not be buying the next Xbox. Sony currently sounds like the better choice, but I don't see myself rushing to buy that either. This is shaping up to be a dark time for console gaming. Perhaps it's time to see how the PC gamers live.

Or maybe it's time to get back into board games! I miss board games...

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
Yeah, I'm not buying this story. Part of this comes down to me having no idea who this "VGLeaks" is, so I have no reason as of yet to believe that they're trustworthy or reliable. There's also the fact that this entire story doesn't have any actual proof for this, as well as the whole "every little thing you don't want in the next Xbox is going to be forced on you!" thing that makes me think that an anonymous (not the Anonymous) troll could have came up with an photoshopped pic and started spreading this rumor for the lulz. There's also the fact that trying to force players to install all their games on the harddrive just doesn't seem practical unless you're going to allow incredibly easy, quick, and unlimited installs / uninstalls or put 1TB+ harddrives into these consoles.

Not saying that this is rumor is automatically false, but there's simply no reason to believe it's automatically true either.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Remember when it was a dead certainty the PS4 was using it, too? Remember faked images of both consoles and fake specs from "real" image sources?

Oh, why wait for confirmation. BURN, MICROSOFT! I HATE YOU SO MUCH!

However, if this is true, I'm just buying a new gaming PC. If I'm going to have mandatory installs and DRM, I might as well just go with Steam.

PS: Note to Microsoft: Don't make Steam look good.

Snotnarok said:
This may be the great video game crash all over again.
LOL, not likely. People will rage and protest and then buy four copies of Halo 7.

Aeonknight said:
As long as they can not fuck up the launch with stuff like RROD like they did with the 360, will be a hit. Calling it now.
I doubt even RROD will be a deal breaker. People didn't learn after the DREs from the PS2, why would they learn now?

Sol_HSA said:
Forget DRM.

That's a 3d camera in your living room that's connected to internet all the time regardless of whether you're using xbox or not.
Or in my case...Bedroom.

I think I'm going to drape something over it at night, like you do with birds. >.>

Snotnarok said:
I'm honestly hoping for another video game crash so the industry takes a step back and tries to do right by the customer instead of taking more and more away .
Are you familiar with the old game "corrupt a wish?"

I'm just saying I think I can find a few dozen ways this could go wrong.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Strazdas said:
Or maybe people with bad itnernet connections will finally wake up and start demanding their ISP to stop charging them a fortune for some crap connection that became obsolete 20 years ago....
Yes, making demands of monopolies generally gets things done.

Look, you're expecting people to make a big fuss to companies known for terminating service for people who make a big fuss. Doesn't that seem...You know, unrealistic?

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
Literally everything I've seen/heard about the 720 has only made me want a PS4 even more.

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
Hmmm. When DRM is talked about I always tend to compare it to Steam's. If the source is credible, and if they're referring to a kind of "Sim City stay online or you get kicked off" kind of DRM then it's a very simple choice for me not to invest. If it's just a background scan for updates or similar to the current xbox/steam's way of checking versions before allowing online features then that's fine with me.

What I'm more curious to is whether the next xbox will require subscriptions again. I haven't played enough recently on consoles to justify to myself the charge. A new console with an uncertain library and mandatory subscription for online would really not interest me.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
And so I lost all interest in dedicated video game consoles. Rest in peace, we had a good run.