Rumor: Next Elder Scrolls Game to be set 200 Years After Oblivion

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
I want to visit Summerset Isle during the Renaissance! TES V is going to be awesome, as long as they keep the moddability :D

Also, please Bethesda, make an angel race or something! You could make flight a skill too! 25 lets you fly for a limited amount of time and 100 is unlimited flight. Well, I have many ideas, but this is not the thread I'd post them in.

Oh and a city on water! Like Venice!

Bored Tomatoe

Aug 15, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
You're all assuming that the universe these games take place in will follow in Earth's technological footsteps.
Thank you. We got lucky and created a bunch of technology really, really fast. I'm sure if things had gone slightly different, we'd be in the 1700's era still.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I hope the next TES does away with some of the more annoying features of the game-- the skill based leveling is something I've never really appreciated. I have never really appreciated the shit monsters-- i mean, cliff racers are dangerous at level 1, but once you have command of a wide assortment of gear and power, they just shouldn't fuck with you anymore.

The other thing that always bothered me was that there were these gorgeous ruins and caves... which are totally generic and pointless to explore. Theres only endless piles of the same old weapons and armor that no one wants to carry around anyway. If it was tough to enter some of them, or some interesting reason to go there, it would be worth it. I stopped exploring at a certain point when I realized I was just clearing caves for no reason and no real reward.

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
What's with all backlash against a new setting? I mean, it shouldn't be too different, but do you really love the Elder Scrolls generic, cliche fantasy setting so much as to not want a few changes?

Xaositect

Mar 6, 2008
No muskets and cannons and gunpower please, because thats total shit, and ruins the high fantasy feel that Elder Scrolls has had from the beginning.

Please let the 200 year gap be instead about how the politics have changed with now independant nations, after that shitty empire will have undoubtedly fallen.

Mar 17, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
You're all assuming that the universe these games take place in will follow in Earth's technological footsteps.
Exactly what I was going to say. Fantasy worlds tend not to advance that much technology-wise, even after millenia.

I doubt the weapons/locations/characters will go through any change at all, it will all stay delightfully medievalish and fantasy-like. Wouldn't really be an Elder Scrolls game if that weren't the case.

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
Can we set it someplace new please? Or perhaps a return to Morrowind? Or the Summerset Isles or Elsewyr or any fucking place that's not a human archetecture road hub? Or if we must do it in the Empire still, Let the city grow so it doesn't feel like a five part town and instead is a city that it would take a while to run across.

Oh and BRING LEVITATION BACK!

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
Oh, afterthought: When just about anyone can shoot fire from their hands (or buy a scroll that lets them shoot fire from their hands for a short burst), guns are a bit superfluous.

[zonking great]

Aug 20, 2008
johnman said:
Logar_Ithme said:
Oblivion with guns! :D
You mean Fallout 3?
In morrowind the Dwarfs already had masses of steam machinery, in Oblivion they just had some empty stone corridors.....
Screw you, pal. Fallout 3 is not Oblivion with guns. Just because it used the same engine, doesn't mean it's the same. Big fat middle finger to you.

Trotgar

Sep 13, 2009
I wouldn't like muskets or anything, but I would like that the world would have some gear etc. powered machines and all.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
The only gun I'm hoping for is a small heavy musket that takes a minute to reload and has the accuracy of a retarded baby throwing a small pebble, but with the force of a giant retarded baby chucking a mountain.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
ravens_nest said:
Skratt said:
TES V: The MMO Prelude...

ick
God I hope not... They've already taken Knights of the Old Republic 3 from me...
While, they'll never come out and say it, they desperately want a piece of the MMO pie. Who can blame them really?

Despite them making really good games, they still have so many things to fix before they can do a proper MMO anyway. That being said, I don't play MMOs anymore, not because they aren't fun, but because the whole "the game begins at level 80" mentality is pretty much shit. I won't even go into the nuances of why as that drum has been beat to death and nobody cares, but it would make me sad to watch the TES franchise dry up after an MMO flop.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
jthm said:
Can we set it someplace new please? Or perhaps a return to Morrowind? Or the Summerset Isles or Elsewyr or any fucking place that's not a human archetecture road hub? Or if we must do it in the Empire still, Let the city grow so it doesn't feel like a five part town and instead is a city that it would take a while to run across.

Oh and BRING LEVITATION BACK!
I always found the game to be a bit small because of the whole city in sections thing. Why can't they make it like daggerfall where entering a city was the loading screen and before you lay this massive sprawling expanse you can traverse?

Sure Oblivion was huge, but with fast travel and cities being more like towns, it still felt small and empty. I kept expecting to see throngs of people like Assassins Creed towns were, with full soldier garrisons and the like, but there was only ever a handful of guards, unless you decided to stir up the hornets nest, and then they were never ending - in ones and twos.

Oh, and before anyone flames, the Assassins Creed reference was just an example because I recently played it, but was in no means meant to compare the two games.

iain62a

Oct 9, 2008
Considering that canonically the Elder Scrolls Universe has had exactly the same level of technology since forever, I doubt that there'll ever be any advancement.

roekenny

Jun 17, 2008
I doubt will add guns but might be interesting the setting slowly changes to that of the Eberon campain settings for dnd as not steam punk but magic gets a whole lot more interesting as magic in the elder scrolls been getting weaker each passing game as lost pass wall and levitation.