Rumor: Tobey Maguire in Talks For The Hobbit

nYuknYuknYuk

Jul 12, 2009
Bobic said:
ouch, i'm not very fond of the idea of spidey being Bilbo.

My choice would be Martin Freeman http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0293509/
Holy shit yes him. Err... I mean.. He is perfectly suited for the role.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Ok, for everyone saying that Maguire is a bad choice, offer up someone that would be a good choice. Assume for the moment that "star-power" doesn't factor into it (in other words, it doesn't have to be someone bankable like Maguire), just the ability to actually do the role justice.
James McAvoy?

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
McAvoy would put me off, looks too young and I don't particularly rate him as an actor (I thought he was perfectly cast in the State of Play miniseries though). He has talent, but he usually irritates me. I also don't think he's capable of combining a hobbity good nature with Bilbo's fussy nature and underlying resilience, although few are.

mojopin87

Jun 5, 2009
Searlero said:
That Sheen guy is a pretty good shout for Bilbo

oliveira8 said:
Ron Perlman WILL be in the Hobbit. Del Toro already said he has a part for him. It could be either:

A)Thorin
b)Beorn
C)The voice of Smaug
Ron Perlman should be Thorin and Jeremy Irons should do the voice of Smaug
Oh my god yes.

Arsen

Nov 26, 2008
NO.

The guy's too much of a puss in the first place, why the heck should he play one of the basis's for modern day fiction/fantasy?

Orange_Clockwork

Oct 29, 2009
It's like I'm a cake and he's going to use the spider as a spoon.

[hr]

Anyway. I'd muchly rather have a better actor, The Hobbit demands a good actor, unlike the terrible casting as of late. Plus, Tobey just does not look like Bilbo Baggins. Baggins has a wide face, a slightly snubbed nose and curious, though intelligent eyes. I don't want to stare at a screen plastered with Tobey's face for 2 hours that isn't at least Spiderman.

Starfox84

Dec 17, 2009
The Tobey Maguire/Hobbit rumor was reported false by many sources, including quotes from Tobey himself, well before this article was even posted here. I think a little more homework needed to be done.

http://www.collider.com/2009/12/15/tobey-maguire-busts-hobbit-casting-rumor/

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2009/12/14/34657-could-bilbo-have-webbed-feet/

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
That stare is terrifying. I feel like my soul just got eaten, and it further fueled the stare.

I'm not sure about Bilbo, but I think we've found a new Sauron.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
oliveira8 said:
Megametalwolf said:
fuck me just get ron perlman
Ron Perlman WILL be in the Hobbit. Del Toro already said he has a part for him. It could be either:

A)Thorin
b)Beorn
C)The voice of Smaug
Honestly, it's going to be impossible for the movie to top this.

...[/youtube]

Spitfire

Dec 27, 2008
I really don't think Tobey Maguire would make a good Bilbo. It wouldn't keep in canon either, for several reasons.
Bilbo was 50 in The Hobbit, and how they think they can make Tobey look 50 and not be laughably bad, is beyond me. Also, he was supposed to have barely aged since he found the One Ring, so in Fellowship of The Ring he still looks 50, even though he's 111.
In other words, GET IAN HOLM. Not only is he best for the role, but his age wouldn't be an issue either, as it's keeping canon with the series.

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
Honestly, it's going to be impossible for the movie to top this.

...[/youtube]
Hmmm, that's got me thinking...how is the visual style of this film going to fit in with the LOTR trilogy? In The Hobbit, the orcs/goblins were much more comical, the trolls much more personable and a talking dragon won't work well in the same visual style of LOTR. I'm sure Del Toro will think of some suitable solution, and Jackon's involvement should help provide some visual consistency between the films, but a faithful stylistic approach would be some achievement. I'd prefer for it not to go for a very light-hearted approach (as the casting of someone like Maguire would suggest), but LOTR's style (except the tone at the beginning of FOTR in the Shire) would be detrimental imo.

Del Toro is fully capable of taking the film in his own direction, but I'd rather see him adapt Tolkien's direction to the screen instead. Jackson did a fantastic job of transferring the epic, sentimental side of LOTR to film, so while Del Toro may have a difficult time making the film's mood mesh with Jackson's work, there's no need for him to create a new atmosphere for the film, or mould it into his current vision explored in other works.

Sven und EIN HUND

Sep 23, 2009
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0868219/news#ni1308549

Guess not. I don't think he would suit the character anyway. Also, holy fuck, Guillermo Del Toro?! This will be very interesting.

ChromeAlchemist said:
Susan Arendt said:
Ok, for everyone saying that Maguire is a bad choice, offer up someone that would be a good choice. Assume for the moment that "star-power" doesn't factor into it (in other words, it doesn't have to be someone bankable like Maguire), just the ability to actually do the role justice.
James McAvoy?

I whole-heartedly agree.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009

Just staring as he thrusts. Just... staring.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
You know, if you put a curly Elijah wig on him and make him seem shorter, I think Maguire could actually pull this off. He's about the right age, and he's got that look about him that I always thought Bilbo might have; He looks like the kind of guy who could man up and stab an orc in the eye, if he really had to, but given the choice, would rather stay home and eat cake.

Dopi

Dec 1, 2009
Oh my god, I so hope Maguire will be playing Bilbo. It would be so epic! *crosses fingers*

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Simriel said:
Bilbo is 50. He isnt Tobey Maguire.
to be fair that's 50 for hobbits, and it's been awhile since I've read the books but I swear that's when they come of age.

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
messy said:
Simriel said:
Bilbo is 50. He isnt Tobey Maguire.
to be fair that's 50 for hobbits, and it's been awhile since I've read the books but I swear that's when they come of age.
33 is when they come of age.