Rumor: Tobey Maguire in Talks For The Hobbit

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Honestly doesn't seem like a bad guy for the job. He's got that whole innocent, slightly goofy feeling to him, plus he's short. Certainly wouldn't be a bad choice. He's a pretty decent actor. Hell, he made a movie about a horse interesting.

EDIT:

pigeon_of_doom said:
Thoughts on Michael Sheen? 40yrs old, 5ft 10...

I'd totally buy into him as a hobbit, and he's definitely an actor capable of doing the role.
Well, I like this a lot better. Although, Maguire would be a better suited for the action segments. I personally don't see a problem with either.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
are.you.the.god.its.me.vader said:
Samuel L Jackson should of been Bilbo...

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
"I've had it with these mother fucking orces in this mother fucking cave!"

...I'm sorry, it had to be done.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
pigeon_of_doom said:
Thoughts on Michael Sheen? 40yrs old, 5ft 10...

I'd totally buy into him as a hobbit, and he's definitely an actor capable of doing the role.
I think he'd do better as Pippin's older brother.

Wasn't James McAvoy asked to play Bilbo.

sokka14

Mar 4, 2009
oh god, please no.

also, for those complete retards out there, frodo was also 50, and he got played be elijah wood.

i'm personally hoping that if they went for someone like elijah wood in the LOTR, they might go for Max Pirkis with the hobbit. he's an astonishingly good young actor.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Simriel said:
Bilbo is 50. He isnt Tobey Maguire.
Hobbits age slowly. Frodo was in his fifties during LOTR. So were the other three main hobbit dudes. That's pretty young for a hobbit, according to the original novels...

Anyway, if he acts well then I don't see the problem. If he doesn't then we have a problem, but only the same risk that would be faced with any other actor. Therefore, I say give him a chance and we'll just have to wait and see if he sucks or not. Besides, I actually liked the Spiderman films (gasp! Shock! Horror!).

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
WanderFreak said:
Who thought Elijah Wood could have done such a good job at Frodo. Maguire has shown in other films that he can act, but most people remember him as Spider-Man so that's going to naturally be what they go to. Me, I could see it happening. He's a big enough name to draw in some studio cash, he'd be a headliner so he'd bring in some tickets, and he's a good actor so he could probably bull it off. Give him something to chew on instead of Peter Parker for a change.
This is pretty much my feeling on it. I find it irritating that the moment Toby is mentioned every jumps around saying "We don't want Spiderman!"

He's not Spiderman or Peter Parker. He's an actor. He acts. He won't play a nervous american nerd or a smart mouthed superhero, because that's not what Bilbo is.

I've seen him in a couple of different things and he's a pretty decent actor, certainly good enough to pull the Hobbit off.

Simriel said:
Yeah, your right. They should cast someone who's the same age as the Hobbit in the book, just like they did with Lord of the...Oh wait!

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
Trivun said:
Simriel said:
Hobbits age slowly. Frodo was in his fifties during LOTR. So were the other three main hobbit dudes. That's pretty young for a hobbit, according to the original novels...

Anyway, if he acts well then I don't see the problem. If he doesn't then we have a problem, but only the same risk that would be faced with any other actor. Therefore, I say give him a chance and we'll just have to wait and see if he sucks or not. Besides, I actually liked the Spiderman films (gasp! Shock! Horror!).
Actually Frodo and co are roughly 34 in the movies. The hobbit equivalent of like 20. Tobey isn't round faced enough to play bilbo. Bilbo wasn't pretty he was frumpy.
Edit: I enjoyed the Spiderman movies too btw.

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
SomeBritishDude said:
WanderFreak said:
Who thought Elijah Wood could have done such a good job at Frodo. Maguire has shown in other films that he can act, but most people remember him as Spider-Man so that's going to naturally be what they go to. Me, I could see it happening. He's a big enough name to draw in some studio cash, he'd be a headliner so he'd bring in some tickets, and he's a good actor so he could probably bull it off. Give him something to chew on instead of Peter Parker for a change.
This is pretty much my feeling on it. I find it irritating that the moment Toby is mentioned every jumps around saying "We don't want Spiderman!"

He's not Spiderman or Peter Parker. He's an actor. He acts. He won't play a nervous american nerd or a smart mouthed superhero, because that's not what Bilbo is.

I've seen him in a couple of different things and he's a pretty decent actor, certainly good enough to pull the Hobbit off.

Simriel said:
Yeah, your right. They should cast someone who's the same age as the Hobbit in the book, just like they did with Lord of the...Oh wait!
It isn't really about the age. It's about the fact that bilbo should be frumpy.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Simriel said:
SomeBritishDude said:
WanderFreak said:

Simriel said:
It isn't really about the age. It's about the fact that bilbo should be frumpy.
Then he puts on weight. Actors put on and loose weight all the time.

Feb 13, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Ok, for everyone saying that Maguire is a bad choice, offer up someone that would be a good choice. Assume for the moment that "star-power" doesn't factor into it (in other words, it doesn't have to be someone bankable like Maguire), just the ability to actually do the role justice.
Surely the guy who could really do it justice is Kenny Baker; given that, as he has dwarfism, he can actually bring his own personal experience into the role.

Problem being, of course, that the temptation to take it into politically incorrect - or overcorrect - would be rife.

Tobey certainly could do a cracking job, but there's the Leslie Nielsen/Scott Bakula/William Shatner problem. If you ever watch Return to the Forbidden Planet, Enterprise or T.J.Hooker you immediately re-cast in your mind back to Police Squad, Quantum Leap, or Star Trek. Especially when Bilbo's going to be fighting the Spiders in Mirkwood.

That said, Ewan McGregor in The Men Who Stare At Goats actually used his Jedi role to good effect.

I dunno, I just imagined Bilbo to be a lot more "waddley".

quiet_samurai

Apr 24, 2009
I don't see the problem, he's actually a good actor in my opinion. And I don't see why people are so concernced about his age, it's called make-up and special effects. Also Frodo was supposed to be in his forties in LOTR yetthey got a 20 year old to play him, so stop comoplaing about the possible inaccuracies of the movie when it's cimenamtic predecessor left out a ton of shit or altered things completely.

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
HUBILUB said:
I do not want spiderman to play Bilbo Baggins.

How fun would it be to watch a guy who can turn invisible AND climb on walls?
That would be hilarious. Everybody and their dog knows how to deal with invisible people sneaking into the girls' changing rooms (Sudden Invisibility Situation Number 12), but you could bypass being whacked with a broom by crawling in through the top of the door!

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Megametalwolf said:
fuck me just get ron perlman
Ron Perlman WILL be in the Hobbit. Del Toro already said he has a part for him. It could be either:

A)Thorin
b)Beorn
C)The voice of Smaug

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
That'd be great, as far as I'm concerned.

He's kinda short, iirc.

Hobbits are short.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Disaster Button said:
Gxas said:
Disaster Button said:
Then, whilst making his favourite alcohloc beverage, a Shirley Temple, you accidently drop 23 painkillers into it, and only then realise what's happened afterwards. You take the kid and run, or not, depends how much you care about it. Obviously if its named Josh you're going to leave it there.
Alas, the child's name will be Keith. He will grow up not knowing his true father and will, in turn, resent me for it. We will live together, alone in the Yukon, among the wolves, until I pass on and he is free to go about his life, which will be short lived due to being raised by wolves.

All because of you Toby... Damn you and your penetrating stare!
TOOBBBYYYY! *shakes fist*

Also, epic mindfuck. I was debatign using Keith instead of Josh.. If I said Keith would you have said Josh?
If I said yes, would you give me a highfive and be my best friend?