Rumor: Tobey Maguire in Talks For The Hobbit

Zac_Dai

Oct 21, 2008
GothmogII said:
Ehh....Bilbo was supposed to be somewhat of a middleaged, slightly stuffy upper-middleclass gentleman in the Hobbit (for starters, he get's character development), I don't really know how it'd work with Maguire. Though, I resent the implication (if such is there) that Bilbo needs a young face on him.

Maybe Ian Holm is a bit old, but, someone with a similar bearing would be good. What I'm worrying is who they're going to get to play the dwarves, who are all said and done, the whole initial impetus for the story progression in The Hobbit. Or is it going to end up as Thorin and his oddly stereotypical collection of Dwarfy chums + the fat one?
Lol all I can think about now is the cast of Time Bandits being in the hobbit!

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
steeltrain said:
Suggestions? Sean Connery, cause he can do anything. I think Liam Nesson could also pull it off.
I could just see Connery going over the script:

"A... hobbit and a wishard? What ish thish magic and roleplaying ****** crap?"

theklng

May 1, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
So what do we think?
i'll have to stop you there and say i don't think for you, the escapist site, the escapist forum's populace or any other number of people other than myself. please leave your collectivist comments at the door.

Da_Schwartz

Jul 15, 2008
I mean alright, by looks I suppose him and elijah could be "related" in the movie world, but...no. I think they should go with an unknown. TOby will draw too much attention away from the role and the story. The spiderman comments are already chock a block and just. Well...i guess..idk..It;'s like in all honesty he could probably do a really good job. But i'd just rather see someone else play the role.

LesIsMore

Jul 22, 2008
No. No no no no no no no. I can barely stand him in Spider-Man (though that's more a general "ehh" for the films than anything else) and I can't really see him stepping into the shoes of Bilbo Baggins, bravest little hobbit of them all.

Also, my objection is based on the fact that the strength of the LOTR films was they had actors who you didn't really know in defining roles, but had seen here and there (yes, some big name stars like Cate Blanchett and Ian McKellen, but no blockbuster big names). Maguire just seems too prolific for the position.

Then again, I never would have pegged the star of "North" and "Flipper" to be such a competent Frodo.

Searlero

Sep 22, 2009
That Sheen guy is a pretty good shout for Bilbo

oliveira8 said:
Ron Perlman WILL be in the Hobbit. Del Toro already said he has a part for him. It could be either:

A)Thorin
b)Beorn
C)The voice of Smaug
Ron Perlman should be Thorin and Jeremy Irons should do the voice of Smaug

Fudj

May 1, 2008
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=26531

Debunked by himself on the Empire Website :)

not a flat out denial but it looks unlikely

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
steeltrain said:
Nurb said:
steeltrain said:
Suggestions? Sean Connery, cause he can do anything. I think Liam Nesson could also pull it off.
I could just see Connery going over the script:

"A... hobbit and a wishard? What ish thish magic and roleplaying ****** crap?"
"You want me to play a dragon? You're out of your damn mind and....it pays how much?"
:D
Fun fact: Connery was considered to play Gandalf

Patroclus

Sep 28, 2009
SIMON PEGG! I CHOOSE YOOOOOOU!!... i dunno. I'm about as surprised as everyone else. Maybe Toby can pull it off?

oliveira8 said:
Megametalwolf said:
fuck me just get ron perlman
Ron Perlman WILL be in the Hobbit. Del Toro already said he has a part for him. It could be either:

A)Thorin
b)Beorn
C)The voice of Smaug
I think Ron Perlman would make a great Smaug. Forgot who the other two are, it's been so long time since I've read the book =/

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
Been waiting for this movie for a long time, Toby Maguire isn't that bad.

But any reason why Peter Jackson has suddenly taken a producer role in all his latest outings, Lord of the Rings was awesome, I want The Hobbit to be just as good.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
That would be awful. i'd use the bilbo in the lord of the rings or at least one of the other hobbits so that there isn't too much bewilder for the major public.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
Gxas said:
Disaster Button said:
Gxas said:
Disaster Button said:
Then, whilst making his favourite alcohloc beverage, a Shirley Temple, you accidently drop 23 painkillers into it, and only then realise what's happened afterwards. You take the kid and run, or not, depends how much you care about it. Obviously if its named Josh you're going to leave it there.
Alas, the child's name will be Keith. He will grow up not knowing his true father and will, in turn, resent me for it. We will live together, alone in the Yukon, among the wolves, until I pass on and he is free to go about his life, which will be short lived due to being raised by wolves.

All because of you Toby... Damn you and your penetrating stare!
TOOBBBYYYY! *shakes fist*

Also, epic mindfuck. I was debatign using Keith instead of Josh.. If I said Keith would you have said Josh?
If I said yes, would you give me a highfive and be my best friend?
. It's possible yeah. I might also get a restraining order on you for stalking my mind. Probly the first one though, I do love me a high five.

Misaek

Oct 28, 2008
Simriel said:
Bilbo is 50. He isnt Tobey Maguire.
50 for hobbies is only like late twenties early thirties though for us short living freaks though right?

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
OH GOD NO!!!!!!!!!

No no no no no, do not let the perpetual creepy guy be Bilbo. It just doesn't fit. I mean yeah, they got Jack the Ripper to play Bilbo in the Trilogy but he was still less creepy than Maguire.

Creepy kid in Pleasantville, creepy kid in Ciderhouse Rules, creepy kid in Seabiscuit and now creepy guy in Brothers. And lets not forget creepy Peter Parker. Bilbo is not creepy, but every character played by Tobey Maguire is.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
Despite the questionable direction he was given in spiderman, Toby Maguire has always been a pretty damn fine actor. Age him a bit, give him slightly longer hair and a bit of a frumpy look and there you go. We know he can do the unwilling hero bit, now it's just he's annoyed and scared, instead of depressed and scared.

one small problem, due to the anti-aging effects of the ring, bilbo as seen in the fellowship of the ring is supposed to look exactly like he did when gandalf left him at the end of the hobbit. That doesn't exactly give them any lee-way to say "oh, this is what he looked like when he was younger.)