RuneScape Has 105 Million User Accounts

KissofKetchup

May 26, 2008
I have one of those 105 million accounts. It was fun for like a month or so and then it just became like work. So I stopped playing.

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
I just got bored, and didn't want to pay so much, especially after I got hacked for the nth time and had everything stolen... again. I still have the account, but the last time I touched it was about three years ago.
But don't bash it. It is a rite of passage, as it has been said. Basically it's the 'My First' MMO, and, for that, it's pretty good. I can remember having some fun on it, especially duping noobs into the Wild and slaughtering them with a friend.

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
I still play the game. Im a bit annoyed by all the flaming that is going on here against it but hey thats their opinions.

Deathkingo

Aug 10, 2009
one of my all time favourite MMO moments was when i was questing with a friend and i got sucked away into a different dimension. i eventually got back, and he asked what happened. "there was this other dimension where everything was upside-down and there was a magic cat," was my reply. it was amazing.

LifsAndlat

Jul 14, 2009
(Long time lurker, first time poster).
I've never felt the need to reply to an Escapist thread before, but this has changed that.

I've been playing Runescape fairly steadily for almost 6 years now, and I love it, it's probably my favourite game, and for a long time the disrespect and general ignoring Runescape received upset me. It pleases me to see Runescape being recognized as a part of the gaming community.

That being said, of course 105 million accounts isn't the actual number of players, I myself probably have at least 20 accounts I don't play, but the actual number of paying subscribers is still pretty impressive. According to mmogchart.com, Runescape controls 7.2% of the MMOG market - second only to World of Warcraft (as of April '08), making it one of the MMOG superpowers.

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
Runescape is the perfect starter MMO. It requires no monthly fee and no downloads. I remember as kid playing it because I couldn't play Everquest at the time. Ahhh... Everquest, I remember when they put out Everquest 2 and everyone said WoW was going to be the Everquest killer. How right they were.

Whistler777

Nov 14, 2008
RougeWaveform said:
Everyone, at some point, has to have a RuneScape account. It's like a nerd rite of passage.
If we had signatures, you would have just gotten sigged, my friend. Quoted for Truth, indeed!

LifsAndlat said:
(Long time lurker, first time poster).
I've never felt the need to reply to an Escapist thread before, but this has changed that.

I've been playing Runescape fairly steadily for almost 6 years now, and I love it, it's probably my favourite game, and for a long time the disrespect and general ignoring Runescape received upset me. It pleases me to see Runescape being recognized as a part of the gaming community.
I agree with you completely, and I think it's a totally legitimate MMO and a game with above-average design. Though I stopped playing a few months ago (it was destroying my social life), I could just as easily pick it back up again and have lots of fun.

I think those who bash the game after only having played a small bit of it haven't seen the Members portion of the game.

Kris015

Some kind of Monster
Feb 21, 2009
I have an account from like i don't know.. Long time ago. I played it only one time! One day, then i got bored.

Damien_B

Aug 15, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Psst, guys. It has 10 million "active accounts." Says right up there :p
And how many of those "active accounts" are actual people?
How many are members?
I'd like to bet that at LEAST half of those are ad. bots.

LifsAndlat

Jul 14, 2009
Damien_B said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Psst, guys. It has 10 million "active accounts." Says right up there :p
I'd like to bet that at LEAST half of those are ad. bots.
Jagex updated their macro detection systems on June 11, and have stated that "there are [no macro systems] we cannot detect". Speaking as a player, I haven't seen any bots or macros in months.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Um... no...

According to Wikipedia, Runescape's servers have a maximum capacity for 340,000 players at a time. I logged on to the Runescape website which boasted 60k players a the moment.

The Guinness Book has really lowered their standards for this one.

mikemart

Apr 16, 2009
an account costs 6 bucks a month, 105 million accounts..

you would think with that much money they could make the money decent enough that isnt a complete grind

you want to raise a skill high enough so you can do fun stuff? have fun working 10 hours at the same area doing the same thing..

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
im guessing about 5% uses their account. i had a lvl 71 once, but the game was so incredibly boring, that i switched side to WoW, where i finally recalled what a good MMO is.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
mikemart said:
an account costs 6 bucks a month, 105 million accounts..

you would think with that much money they could make the money decent enough that isnt a complete grind

you want to raise a skill high enough so you can do fun stuff? have fun working 10 hours at the same area doing the same thing..
accounts are free unless you buy "membership" which unlocks 90% of the stuff you can do.