RuneScape Has 105 Million User Accounts

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
L33tsauce_Marty said:
While only 20,000 actually kept their accounts over a week.
Yeah I tend to remind people that I don't know any wow player other than myself in the real world that doesn't have two accounts.

Which means it is safe to say that a nice size chunk of wow is likely duplicate accounts for people who want all the advantages of multiboxing (of which there are apparently enough to justify the 30 bucks a month).

D_987 said:
dodo1331 said:
I'm willing to bet that only 100,000 are active AT MOST. The majority of the active users are pre-teens I'm guessing though.
According to the site: There are currently 128,617 people playing!

I'm not listening to your guess-timates again.

Honestly, the amount of Runscape-bashing on this thread is ridiculous - your insulting a game created for kids, one that in its own way was innovative, because you don't like it. I hope you realize how pathetic that makes you all look...
Don't waste your hope. People who opt to be Retards never come out of that lifestyle choice.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Yoshi_egg80 said:
I smell *sniff*....I smell *sniff* *sniff* Runescape flame trolling.

So hard to get a decent thread about any mmo/halo 3 game without this annoyance.

All I can say to this is.....
The penguins are watching you.
I'm inclined to agree. The sheer number of people questioning the legitimacy of this for no reason other than just to question it (srsly, guys, it says right in the OP that there are ~10M Active accounts) is startling. So what if RS sucks, and 90% of the accounts are inactive or bots. It's a game made for kids, and it's still .1 Billion accounts. Also, your bot arguments are invalid. How many of those 15 Million active WoW accounts are really Chinese gold farms?

I see the same thing with Halo, as well. Only there, you have people who never played the game bashing it, whereas I think every true nerd has played RuneScape at least once. I guess it's popular, so it sucks. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Ptitle6cd1cskka05i?from=Main.ItsPopularNowItSucks]

Oh well. On topic, I remember playing RS when I was a wee lad. It was about 6 months before I realized I wasn't really doing anything. Just leveling my mining, crafting, and smithing levels so I could get nigh infinite adamantium plate armor. Then I quit, because that took too long, and I got bored.

epiphany1993

Jul 8, 2009
im so tempted just to annoy them to go on the site and deactivate my account just to take their numbers of if you jsut leave it it stays on permanatly so i urge you delete your accounts all 12 of them

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
The stupid virus is spreading much more quickly than anticipated!! Hurry everyone take your suicide pills!!

This-is-Hip-Hop

Feb 21, 2009
I enjoyed Runescape for the three months that I played it, I reached level 60 or something and had full adamantium armor, never advanced to rune, because I pefered green.

I learned a lot about the Internet from Runescape, such rules like, if they Say 'BF' its probably 'BS'. The power of the 'Mute' Button, how to make internet friends, how to make actual friends, and the whole sort.

-This-is-Hip-Hop

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Haxordude said:
I thought Runescape was a decent game........
It is a decent game. I enjoyed it when I played it when I was younger. I only quit because I was sick of paying 5 bucks a month.

It's actually a really creative game. A lot of the members quests have are quite entertaining and unique.

LiftYourSkinnyFists

Aug 15, 2009
They did say "free-to-play game, its numbers aren't anything to sneeze about: 105 million players have signed up for the game over the course of its lifetime."

They're boasting about how many accounts have been made, not much else.

philzibit

May 25, 2009
I see Runescape as the kiddie pool. If you enjoy it, you go ahead and move up to the big boy pool (WoW).

I, on the other hand, was a part of the crowd that didn't care for it. I like instant gratification, like someone cursing me over a microphone because I killed them. Much more satisfying than spending weeks leveling up, but hey, different strokes, right?

TerribleTerryTate

Feb 4, 2008
Amnestic said:
How many of those 105 million accounts are active and paying accounts?

Heck, even I have a runescape account. I played it for 10 minutes and got bored, but I'm contributing to that 105 million stat with my 10 minutes of playtime. Forgive me if I'm not uber impressed.
This. Same here, I find it difficult to be impressed when clearly it's inflated due to a lack of activity.

Nargleblarg

Jun 24, 2008
I'm so proud that 4 of those accounts were actually mine, but the 1 account I actually used I used for way too long. (2 years)

dodo1331

May 23, 2009
D_987 said:
dodo1331 said:
I'm willing to bet that only 100,000 are active AT MOST. The majority of the active users are pre-teens I'm guessing though.
According to the site: There are currently 128,617 people playing!

I'm not listening to your guess-timates again.

Honestly, the amount of Runscape-bashing on this thread is ridiculous - your insulting a game created for kids, one that in its own way was innovative, because you don't like it. I hope you realize how pathetic that makes you all look...

Eh. Close enough. Round 128 to 100. I hope you're not referring to me, I'm fine with runescape.

Zildjin81

Feb 7, 2009
Internet Kraken said:
Haxordude said:
I thought Runescape was a decent game........
It is a decent game. I enjoyed it when I played it when I was younger. I only quit because I was sick of paying 5 bucks a month.

It's actually a really creative game. A lot of the members quests have are quite entertaining and unique.
Yeah. I always here people complaining about the questing in Runescape but I actually thought it was quite good. One of the only MMOs I've played where you actually need to think about what do to next in a quest/mission.

HotShooter

Jun 4, 2009
Sorry for adding 5 accounts to the count. I made them so I could swear out a friend. As far as I know they're still active.

WaywardHaymaker

Aug 21, 2009
I didn't mind RuneScape. I used to play, as did literally everybody. The only reason they can toot their horn over 105 million accounts made is because it's free. You can't really compare that to how many people bought a $200-$400 Xbox 360, and then had to buy $20-$60 games for it. 90+ million RuneScape accounts only last for a week or two, and I'd bet money that less than 4 million actually payed to play it, and less than 2 million currently are paying.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
I just went back to check, it turns out the account I made in around 2004 is still there...though I don't use it. This is how they have that many users.