RuneScape Has 105 Million User Accounts

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
this can,t be fair counting.
i made over 10 accounts on rs so i guess then it,s possible.

what the actually should have done is count all te addresses from where the acc came.

teh.arkhon

Jul 14, 2009
Altorin said:
just for clarity sake, WoW has 14 million ACTIVE SUBSCRIBERS.

I'm not saying they'd have 105 million, as I'm sure I would have heard about a game selling that many units, but there could easily by 50 million accounts.
Oh, I thought they had sold 14 million copies...

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
RougeWaveform said:
Everyone, at some point, has to have a RuneScape account. It's like a nerd rite of passage.
aint that the truth i know i have mine though its been so long since i used it and it was only for an hour

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
I still play it, I dragged other people into it, and I'm starting to get back into it. But you can bet as soon as section eight is out I'm back on the console. Then there is ODST, then Modern warfare...

However that is a load of bull. If jagex discounted all the accounts not on for more then a week, they'd have a huge gap in their numbers. Then you have all the muti accounts (I know someone with over 20 he regually goes on), bots (still there, just very hard to find and even rarer to see working) and all the accounts they banned for saying something they didn't like.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
Fat Man Spoon said:
L33tsauce_Marty said:
While only 20,000 actually kept their accounts over a week.
And half of those are multi-accounts and bots.
And about 100,000 accounts went dead after they introduced tha bullshit trading system. Incidentally, that is why I left.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Probably the only popular game I have never played, am I missing out or was it average?

Goodluf

Apr 14, 2009
So, Runescape is still going strong, eh?

Many were the days spent playing that game, when I was a child. I remember I got bored around the time my entire play time consisted of me chopping wood and trying to sell it. Mindblowing, I know. There was not much to do after I completed all the quest for non-members (Yes, I managed to complete them all, wohoo for me). I suppose my account is still there, included in those numbers.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Psst, guys. It has 10 million "active accounts." Says right up there :p
Then isnt it smaller than WOW?

RougeWaveform said:
Everyone, at some point, has to have a RuneScape account. It's like a nerd rite of passage.
I've never had one and never will.

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
Had an account for a few months, then stopped playing; it's not a bad game, I just had other things to do and I didn't enjoy it all that much, since I was playing for free and you pretty much have to be a member is you want to really experience the game, I wasn't willing to pay that money for it.

As for 105 million accounts, well as other have said only about a tenth of those are active, and I'm not even going to begin speculating about how many of those are sock accounts, but even so, that's still something Jegex, and most Runescape players, should be proud of.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
Altorin said:
just for clarity sake, WoW has 14 million ACTIVE SUBSCRIBERS.

I'm not saying they'd have 105 million, as I'm sure I would have heard about a game selling that many units, but there could easily by 50 million accounts.
WoW costs money, WoW does not work on just about every computer, MMORPGS Suck.

(the first two are explaining why wow wouldnt have as much, the third is just my overall opinion)

terraNivium

Apr 15, 2009
I am still lost for words at why this game is so popular. It's awful, and there are so many free mmo's that are vastly superior in every way. The fact they have a subscription plan is laughable xD

Contun

Mar 28, 2009
RougeWaveform said:
I'm considered a nerd by many and I've stood clear of it for this long....

dwoo21

Aug 30, 2009
I applied to Runescape like 5 years ago so now me and you have completed and utterly shattered Runescape's astounding 105 million user accounts!!

YYZed

Jun 25, 2008
i used to play, have a lvl 100 account i never play on and i think i made a good 30 other accounts that i used for random things like bank, pures, mess around and other things. Not bashing the game i thought it was good when i was like 4th - 6th grade (it appeals to that crowd, i always called it babys first mmo) but a good amount of those 105 million accounts are never actually used.

Irishhoodlum

Jun 21, 2009
L33tsauce_Marty said:
While only 20,000 actually kept their accounts over a week.
GamerLuck said:
I think in total i had like 5 accounts after forgetting passwords and names of the others... and just plain getting bored of the thing... That nice big number is a total crock.

Guys maybe you should read the part that says;

CantFaketheFunk said:
RuneScape Has 105 Million User Accounts

... but a good chunk of that 105-million-strong playerbase does come back regularly:

"More than 10 million. It depends if you're taking a day, a week, three months. We did another stat for the Guinness Book of World Records that was total active unique [users] over time, and that was just over 105 million. So 105 million people have touched it," Gerhard told Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/jagex-on-runescape-mechscape-and-funorb-interview].

105 Million unique users. So you guys can have made as many accounts as you want, but the point is there's a lot of people who have played (and still do).

irefusetoincludenumbersinthisname said:
To parrot everyone else, how many of those Runescape accounts are actually active?

I know I played something like five years ago. I hope that one doesn't count toward that inflated number they're tossing around.
Souplex said:
How many are active and how many of those actives are members?
bob-2000 said:
I wonder how many active accounts there are.

www.runescape.com -> "There are currently 124914 people playing!" 125k Active players at any given time? That's not too shabby. Not to mention the previously said 10 million. And really... Look at all these people who didn't do their homework. I'm gonna be honest, the first half dozen replies to this thread... Fell completely on their faces in failure.

There's way to much hate for Runescape, a free game that has yet to kill your cat or dog.

cowbell40 said:
Anyone remember how many bots there were a couple years back? Yeah, I'm pretty sure at least a half of those accounts were bots. Hell, I think I saw at least 50 million auto woodcutters at the free-to-play yew trees alone.
If you kept up with the game's news, reading just any thread on their forums you'd see that they almost completely removed botting. Don't believe me? Log on, tell me how many you see. Incidentally, doesn't WoW rack up a fair amount of bots?

Uggh I hate to sound like such a fanboy standing up for Runescape, a game I don't play anymore, but it was fun while it lasted and it deserves some actual praise.

D_987 said:
dodo1331 said:
I'm willing to bet that only 100,000 are active AT MOST. The majority of the active users are pre-teens I'm guessing though.
According to the site: There are currently 128,617 people playing!

I'm not listening to your guess-timates again.

Honestly, the amount of Runscape-bashing on this thread is ridiculous - your insulting a game created for kids, one that in its own way was innovative, because you don't like it. I hope you realize how pathetic that makes you all look...
This about sums up my feelings on the replies. Sorry for all the quotations, but I was trying to make a point on how many people here are just... Wrong.

thecodemaster

Jul 6, 2009
People forget about Runescape I think, simply because I reckon its too overshadowed by WoW.
Personally I enjoyed my time playing RS far more than I did playing WoW. Crummy graphics aside, RS was easily more accessible to new players and I'm still ashamed to say I went through I bad case of game addiction with it. Unlike WoW, which I played for two weeks - then quit.

cowbell40

Jun 12, 2009
Irishhoodlum said:
cowbell40 said:
Anyone remember how many bots there were a couple years back? Yeah, I'm pretty sure at least a half of those accounts were bots. Hell, I think I saw at least 50 million auto woodcutters at the free-to-play yew trees alone.
If you kept up with the game's news, reading just any thread on their forums you'd see that they almost completely removed botting. Don't believe me? Log on, tell me how many you see. Incidentally, doesn't WoW rack up a fair amount of bots?

This about sums up my feelings on the replies. Sorry for all the quotations, but I was trying to make a point on how many people here are just... Wrong.
You misunderstand me. Notice how I say a couple years back. I am an active player (and i certainly testify to the merits of the game) who is simply pointing out that before they completely re-worked many portions of the game, there were a LOT of bots. You're right in saying that now there's hardly any left. The only reason I brought it up was to illustrate how the number given by the OP is probably inflated significantly by the vast amount of bots that once populated the game.