Ryan Reynolds' Green Lantern Costume Officially Retconned

Rivers Wells

Aug 26, 2010
What was wrong with just the regular suit? Is is the white gloves? Ok, make them green and part of the costume like you've done. Why individual toes? Why weird nonsensical lines? And if you're committing to a domino mask, why do the more traditional parts of the costume bother you so much you redesign it?

It's honestly not a terrible design, but I just don't get why they feel it needs to be so different. I guess they're going for a look that's really smooth, shiny, organic, natural, earth friendly, meant to make us think about taking care of our planetOHGODAVATAR!!

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I suppose the one advantage of a CG costume is that they can change the design of the costume at relatively short notice. With a CG costume a design change just means a few more weeks of post-production as opposed to re-shooting the entire frikin' movie.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
Ergh, I donno. I'm a massive Green Lantern fan (see avatar) and I can't make up my mind about this. The feet to look completely stupid. Boots? Maybe? Heard of them?
I'm not one of those people that say "rage! It's not faithful to the comics so it's shit!" (although that is the reason I'm not a huge fan of Tim Burton's 1989 Batman movie) so I don't mind that they've gone for a half-original design, but it just seems to be trying to juggle originality and faithfulness to the comics at the same time and not doing a great job at it
I'll judge properly when I see the film but, right now, I'm not too impressed by the costume, but the extended trailer looks fan-fucking-tastic (except Parallax, he looks like the Balrog)

Lucifron

Dec 21, 2009
The.Bard said:
Lucifron said:
Wow. Comic fanboys must be a unique breed seeing as they can whine endlessly because the costume of a big-budget movie adaptation isn't identical to that of the comic.

Also, the rest of the world didn't call, because it didn't care.
In fairness, I imagine that a modern day Moby Dick movie in which the White Whale looked like a giant turd would be met with distress by Melville fans.

I can only speak for myself, not everyone else who dislikes the outfit, but I personally don't care if it's identical to the comic. I just ask that it not suck toes. In that regard, this outfit goes right next to Michael Bay's Transformers as a hideous freakish thing to be burrrrrned.
Well, the suit really isn't that bad. Although I suppose I can agree with the toes. 'Tis dubious.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
You sure do gots some purdy toes Mr. Jordan...Mhm, mhm, mhm...

perversion aside, I didn't see the difference until I saw the trailer and it does look a bit better but then, I was more impressed by all of the pretty, pretty non-humans and the Magma giant.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
Sonicron said:
Ha! That reply made me laugh. I like your writing style. ^^

Yeah, I can definitely understand and respect that opinion. I mean, a lot of people who are going to see this movie at the cinema will have no prior knowledge whatsoever of the Green Lantern, and they'll judge the costume with unbiased eyes; I'm looking forward to reactions from the general public once this movie is released.
In the end it all comes down to personal opinion. I'm sure the internet will burn me at the stake for saying so, but I quite liked a lot of the robot designs from the Transformers movies. Go figure.
Thanks, always glad to generate the giggles. Now that I have filled my quota of laughs for the day, I shall commence flame baiting and shouting at you angrily for liking the Transformers designs.

... waitforit....

nah, just kidding. But seriously, I hate you for liking the Transformers aesthetics. Hate you with a deepseated hate from the bowels of the dude who came up with ToeBoy here.

*ahem*

I can't speak for the layperson, and I'll concede that the Green Lantern's feet will probably not make it into every second of the film. But in general, I would say the vibe they're giving off veers a tad on the silly side, visually.

I'd give a movie like this a spin on Netflix. It could definitely surprise me, and I imagine that even at its worst it will still be better than Wolverine, a movie that I'm still crying about on the inside.

But hell if I won't be staring at his feet in outrage THE ENTIRE TIME!

Zom-B

Feb 8, 2011
TheBluesader said:
This new GL costume is about at the same point. It's WAY better than the crappy one they used first, but it's still not great. But it kind of works. After all, if we're going to say that the ring makes a kind of green gel-like suit that covers his body when it's active, it makes sense that it would look something like this. Still not as cool as any of the GL comic outfits, but okay.
Redwall said:
I never read the comics and I suppose I can see where a lot of you are coming from as far as nostalgia for a seemingly superior costume goes, but overall I'm rather prone to agree with the notion that, since this costume is meant to be universal and to fit a variety of different alien species, it would make sense for it to adapt more to the users body than stylistic preferences.
The problem is, that if you think about it in some sort of "comic book movie logic", like okay, the suit is some sort of covering that envelopes his body and shows off the definition of his muscles and toes, why doesn't it do the same for his penis and crawl right up his ass crack?

If the suit is "smart" enough to hide or smooth out his junk, why wouldn't it do the same for his muscles and toes? Is it because the Green Lanterns want to look all tough and muscle-y? Or are they only modest when it comes to genitals? And if so, why bother with a full body suit at all, or even an opaque suit? Why not just a transparent protective barrier?

See, when you try and apply any sort of logic to a super-hero, it just falls apart.

And for the record, all three versions, so far, of the GL costume look terrible. Hollywood still hasn't learned that what works in a comic book doesn't translate to the movies.

Zom-B

Feb 8, 2011
rancher of monsters said:
In brightest day
In blackest night
no semen shall escape my tights
let STDs and all their like
Burn from my power, Green Lantern's light!
HAHAHAHAHA

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
spectrenihlus said:
Where are the white gloves?

I agree. At the same time though this is looking better each time. I really am looking forward to this film. Huge Green Lantern fan over here!

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Meh, I never got what the issue was in the first place. As long as he doesn't look like Halle Berry in a Catwoman costume, I don't really care.

THEoriginalBRIEN

Aug 23, 2010
I like the idea of the "organic" suit. Jordan's costume is in fact just energy projected by the ring, so it actually makes sense. What I don't like is that it just looks like cheap CGI. WB should stop trying to make it look "organic" and just make a CGI version of a more faithful suit. I mean how many people would tailor themselves an intergalactic crime-fighting suit with individual toes? GIVE THE MAN SOME BOOTS.

sjt

Nov 17, 2009
to quote Alex Ross from his book Mythology,

"There's a unique aesthetic value to the Hal Jordan Green Lantern that sets him apart from all the other heroes - he wears green, and he has brown hair when everyone else has black hair & blue eyes. And white gloves - a super hero with WHITE gloves? But it WORKS, and it translates beautifully to all the aliens of the GL Corps. You can put any life form in that suit and it's instantly recognizable. Gil Kane's costume design is perfect"

Couldnt put it better myself.

For a hero who's powers are rooted in a particular color, it seems counterintuitive & somewhat antithetical to change the color of one of the major aspects of his costume.

Just sayin' (bring back the white gloves).

TheGreatFedora

Mar 25, 2010
So far everything I've seen about this movie has looked bad. This is no exception.

Green Lantern is a really hard mythology to put into a movie without it seeming like an overblown cheesefest; if you stick to the look and feel of the comics at least. Ditto Thor.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
It really doesn't matter as long as Guy Gardener is done well so he can come in and kick some arse!

OT: I don't think it looks much like the suit from the comic at all. I don't think that it is a major issue either though. If this is the only thing that fans can find to complain about, the ignore it. Focus on making a good comic book movie please.