Saddest Fictional Death

Jazzyjazz2323

Jan 19, 2010
Godwyn Fischig in the Eisenhorn books, of course John Marston and John Coffey, but another one that did it for me was the death of Fredo at the end of the second godfather.Not because i thought he would live but of how the scene was set up and the relationship he had with his nephew.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Pay'j (or Pey'j) from Beyond Good and Evil

Yes, I know he comes back, but it's still really, REALLY f*cking sad those few minutes you didn't know that, right?

Soushi

Jun 24, 2009
The race on the PLanet who's sun is going Nova in the Star Trek Next Generation Episode, "The Inner Light". The one where Picard plays the flute, it gets me every single time *sniff*

That, and Lockon Stratos from Gundam 00, the Haro coming back crying like a broken toy. *double sniff*

minarri

Dec 31, 2008
The one that had me crying for hours when I read it was this:

Skarlath from The Outcast of Redwall by Brian Jacques.

Granted I was in middle school at the time but I get a bit teary-eyed just thinking about it even now.

Edit: Come to think of it, when the picture book of The Lion King came out before the movie--what, in 1993 or so?--I remember having my dad trying for the longest time to stop me from crying about Mufasa. That seriously tore me up. I must have been 6 or 7.

KSarty

Aug 5, 2008
Kamina from Gurren Lagann
Spike from Cowboy Bebop (even though it was part of the greatest ending of all time)
Boss from MGS3

But the first one that came to mind for me was Emma Sheen from Gundam Z, which really made me pretty depressed and angry. She was the 'normal' person hero of the series, no newtype powers to speak of and really nothing special as a pilot but she was still a strong character. The spectacle of the whole situation didn't help. An entire battleship is sacrificed trying to save her and then she still dies, in severe pain, in the main character's arms.

jumb

Apr 3, 2010
The horse from Shadow of the Colossus. It was so unexpected and I'd grown quite attached to it.

Admittedly though, my first thought was "Noooo, now how will I get around quickly?"

Edit: also, as has been said, Jurassic Bark from Futurama. Easily the closest I've been to tears since watching the Lion King as a child.

Unia

Jan 15, 2010
dariuskyne said:
Pretty much the entirety of the Stark clan, Eddard Stark gets introduced and killed in the first book of the series, framed for treason and beheaded as his daughters watch, then about the third book Eddard's son, Rob Stark, gets his head taken off and Rob's pet wolf's head nailed onto the stump, at his uncle's wedding, also this is where Katelyn (rob's mother) also gets killed and these are just the MAIN CHARACTERS! the "good guys" the people you follow through the story, and over half of them get offed in horrible, mean ways... which is why this series is so goddamned good.

I like that the author's willing and able to kill off characters, but man, vicious...
My personal fictional death I still grieve is from the same series.

Sandor Clegane, alias The Hound. Although the death is never described as much, and still not 100% certain to me. Considering Martin's track record though...

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
Lt. Hughes's death by Envy's hands. The guy had a family dammit!

EDIT:

LUIIIIIS!

Damn near everyone! Even that kid w/ the camera Colin Creevy! What did he do to deserve a death? And Dobby...poor Dobby!

Has anyone said Mufasa yet?

jultub

Jan 18, 2010
RobotNinja said:
no_more_usernames said:
AREITH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Indeed. Her theme song still gives me shivers.
Also Kamina, from Gurren Lagann. I almost cried manly tears when he died.
Incredibly manly tears though. Kamina was awesome :/

Zenoss

Mar 22, 2009
ARTAX!!!! NOOOOOOOO!!!!

I know it's been said already, but i just had a massive flashback. And it hurt.