Saddest Fictional Death

Nimzar

Nov 30, 2009
I actually cried when reading Where the Red Fern Grows

When the male dog died it was sad; when the female one died too...

...it was just too much.

I think that is the only time I've cried over a fictional death.

EDIT:
Neonic-Ink said:
Grave of the Fireflies
The little girl from the anime movie, Grave of the Fireflies, Setsuko. After all they went through, she starts to lose her mind from the starvation and the living conditions her and her big brother brother made in that cave. She had to be cremated. She was only like, 4 years old. And then at the end when the big brother just die homeless in that subway. Oh man. I was crying my eyes out. It was also pretty damn sad when their mother died.
Damn. I forgot about that movie being fictional. The way I see it: Grave of the Fireflies is only technically fiction. There is too much truth in that movie for it to be fully classified as fiction in by book. I'd say it falls in the area between fiction and non-fiction because it exists primarily as ART!

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Z of the Na said:
Actually, the fact that I had to choose someone to die at all in the first Mass Effect was rather tragic in and of itself.

Personally, I have to go with the film Mystic River (spoilers, duh) and the character Dave Boyle getting killed by his friends. I was probably never more outraged or upset over a death in a film then in that one. I also think that it is impossible for Sean Penn to play a likable character in anything, ever.

In television though, watch The Wire. There are several tragic, moving deaths per season. (Spoiler alert) Stringer, D'Angelo, Omar, Wallace (probably the harshest), Bodie, Prop Joe, Sherrod, Snoop etc. Anyone who doesn't die ends up either on the streets or in jail for life, for the most part. Tragic, amazing show.

Sadly, most of the deaths are kids from the streets.

LittleChone

May 17, 2010
But if I had to select a death that REALLY screwed with me, it has to be Ash from The First Pokemon Movie. Seriously, I don't care if he was brought back, it STILL shuck me up.
:(

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
RobotNinja said:
no_more_usernames said:
AREITH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Indeed. Her theme song still gives me shivers.
Also Kamina, from Gurren Lagann. I almost cried manly tears when he died.
Kamina died for a reason though. Have you seen Rebuild of Evangelion 2.0? I swear that if you made that scene go frame-by-frame, you can Shinji wearing orange shades. The spirit of Kamina lives on! (Not really, its a spiritual thing)

Kamina was the most shocking death for me. Having gone into Gurren Laggan without ANY word on the plot before-hand, just word of how absolutely awesome it was. It was soul-crushingly shocking when this guy, the lynch-pin of the entire group dies such a horrible honorable death.

Aerith was sad... because I was like, seven. Or something. I'd have to check dates. Playing back over it, it was more bull-shit than anything else. I had 99 freaking Phoenix Downs, c'mon!

The death of the Earthworm Jim franchise is one I mourn almost weekly. If it weren't for Earthworm Jim 3D, it might have made it. If only it had a few more months of development time.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Hate myself for reading this. Playing Fable 2 and Red Dead atm and I just can't play them anymore. >.<

On topic! Noble Team, Wash, Church, Red Furn Dogs...and, the only one that's ever made me cry, Draco at the end of Dragonheart. I was 11. :/

Chancie

Sep 23, 2009
Drakengard
Angelus and Caim. That was a totally sucker punch to the face, Cavia!

Shadow Hearts
Yuri's "sacrifice" at the end. Had me in tears.

Those are the two that spring to mind right away for me.

deonte9109

Sep 8, 2010
Benmonkey7 said:
When Lucien kills your dog. I loved my dog so much.
I did too.
Game: "Your loving family of five are all dead by Lucien"
Me: Eh.....I can always make more
Game: And your dog is dead too
Me: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

scrambledeggs

Aug 17, 2009
If ANYONE knows what I am talking about, I willy be a happy chap,
but Nathaniel from the Bartimaus trilogy. It's such an amazing ending to a trilogy.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
scrambledeggs said:
If ANYONE knows what I am talking about, I willy be a happy chap,
but Nathaniel from the Bartimaus trilogy. It's such an amazing ending to a trilogy.
Oh...You couldnt be more right. I loved the books and that was just epic...Though i wanted my rainbow and sunshine ending where everybody lives happily ever after...

It has already been mentioned but Kamina and crew from Gurren Lagan.

And Kanon (2006 anime) has a really emotional death...

Makoto...After the fake wedding...I have never cried that much in my life.

Nanaki316

Oct 23, 2009
Zack Fair :(
I mean playing through Crisis Core we all knew he was going to die but it was so heart wrenching the way they did it, I bawled my eyes out.

FrioJenkins

Apr 1, 2010
cheshitescat said:
Lennie from of mice and men
Often times when something really sad happens, my friends and I quote from that book exclaiming out love of 'Da rabbits George!'... Very sad indeed.

spookydom

Aug 31, 2009
The Only ones to ever effect me where.

Dr Ben from X-Bomber/Star Fleet. Can't even remember how it hapened. Think it was poison. Was a very long time ago, think I was only 8-9. Remeber beeing so upset I wrote a comic where he didn't die to make it right.

Eddie Dean from the Drak Tower Books. Feels like I spent my whole Life waiting for King to finnish this series. Bought the first book when I was 14. The last book was released when I was 33. Eddie was my hero second only to Han Solo through most of my life. Reading about him going cold turkey helped me get through rehab and his sense of humour was a constant inspiration. Last book...he dies...I was crushed for weeks.

Wash from Firefly. Gos without saying.

Kingsman

Feb 5, 2009
You asked for it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKNRfMyjcVo&feature=related
He waited, Fry. HE WAITED.

AND YOU NEVER CAME. ;_;

Vrik

Sep 25, 2010
Hristo Petrov said:
Darth Vader : I shed a single manly tear
After reading through the first 3 pages of this topic, I had almost given up hope. Vader's death is the saddest one I've seen. He gets turned, saves his son and then DIES? Ok, it's a classic story, but what the heck?