Saints Row - Saints Low

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Its funny that Pit the wholesome angel boy from Kid Icarus now shares his voice with the psycho boss from Saints Row.

Reactions: Hawki

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
In the aftermath of this reboot bomb, kinda have to wonder how much course correcting the folks at Rockstar might be doing for GTA6. Or maybe not, idk.
I doubt they've done much work on it at this point, really. It probably won't be out for another 5 years or so. Maybe more if GTA5 and GTA:O continue to pay the bill in perpetuity.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
And so? Volition is at the whims of stockbrokers who want people to be less insensitive and if the humor took a hate then fine by me. If you want to change the system, then people are free to make their esgelord game. But I am still waiting...
Give it time, I'm still working on the intro to coding book so it'll be a few years at least lol

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
He does bring up a good point. SR2, despite being the sequel, started you out as waking up from a coma, escaping from prison with the help of the one guy who apparently still believes in you, and then buying some ratty clothes to replace your prison uniform before letting you loose on the city from the very bottom of the social ladder. Eventually you'd work your way up to owning the entire city and that sense of progression felt really nice. SR3 would short circuit that but gave you so many toys to play with and setpieces to play around in that I was willing to let it go for not having that progression and SR4 was just straight out wacky from the start so any such arguments about progression kind stop mattering when the intro mission involves you hanging off a nuclear missle in flight while "Don't wanna close my eyes" by Aerosmith blares and then had you fighting off Aliens outside the White house and then getting dumped into the Matrix. Sadly Gat out of Hell was so half assed the concept of fucking up Hell wasn't enough to distract from the fact it wasn't very interesting to play. Also, fucking up Heaven would have been a lot more fun, to be honest.

But this....yeah, Volition fucked up somewhere. Scratch that, Volition hasn't made a good game in 9 YEARS when SR4 came out.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Okay....
  1. I would gladly take Ghost of Tsushima any day over this "reboot". As you have pointed out, SR2022 is just a sandbox games from 2009/2010s, but way worse.
  2. As far as the AAA not having many games to wow you any more Yahtz...so? Get in the line. That feeling has been going with me since 2014 with few exceptions. Then again, expecting anything to wow you when you have been in the industry this long is a fool's errand. I do find it funny he has a short term memory lost. I guess Doom 4, RE2 Remake, and RE7 don't count for shit. Ironic, because RE7 Yahtzee was praising to hell and back for "getting away from the dumb Umbrella shit and being more self aware" foolery. How about just sticking with AA and indie at this point, and don't bother.
  3. Some AAA stuff still wows me, but not everything needs innovation. Just be fucking good and don't get in the way.
  4. I got Ragnarok, Gungrave, and most importantly, Bayonetta 3! So I am going to be wowed and excited for a nice while!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I got Ragnarok, Gungrave, and most importantly, Bayonetta 3! So I am going to be wowed and excited for a nice while!
Unless they suck. Which could happen.
Some AAA stuff sill wows me, but not everything needs innovation. Just be fucking good and don't get in the way
Hence my "why Derivative Game design doesn't matter" thread. I feel like reinventing the wheel should be secondary to just making a good game in whatever format you are trying to make first.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Unless they suck. Which could happen.
More than likely not. Gungrave GORE plays like a PS2 Arcade game with new mechanics that work, Raganrok will be fine, but my only worry is them de-leveling Kratos again, and not getting a jump button. Platinum never screwed up Bayonetta, and despite their screw ups with Babylon's Fall (mostly SE's doing), I am not worried. They still did great with Astral Chain, and Nier Replicant got approval from everyone. Bayonetta 3 looks mix things up, go full multiverse, and have even more characters with good and unique mechanics. Bayonetta 3 ate Scalebound. Let's go!

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I doubt they've done much work on it at this point, really. It probably won't be out for another 5 years or so. Maybe more if GTA5 and GTA:O continue to pay the bill in perpetuity.
Yeah I’ve read “reports” from people apparently close to the studio that said the game was in development hell and they don’t know where to go with the story with Dan Houser’s absence. Like, it’s the most chaotic project they’ve had, outdoing even RDR’s code nightmare. I guess that happens when several key creatives have had enough of Take Two’s bullshit. Wonder how they’re liking that karma.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So there's game that's called Saints Row.
It makes its players feel low.
So down in fact, that they go get high.

It's fair to say that this Saints Row,
Is a game that really blows,
The review scores ain't reaching to the sky.

Did Volition go with flow,
When designing this Saints Row?
I guess in end it just did not pan out.

Can't even play it on the go,
This buggy, muggy, new Saints Row.
It made its fanbase scream and hiss and shout.

Where to now with this Saints Row?
Is there room for it to grow?
Should it be patched, receive touch of hotfix?

Or should they give up with Saints Row,
A move that some would call quite low,
But perhaps it better for Saints Row the sixth?

Years of dev, nothing to show,
For this reboot of Saints Row.
Well, I guess they could reboot again.

Could say a lot more 'bout Saints Row.
But I've had enough of woe.
So from griping, I shall now refrain.

(Disclaimer that I haven't played any Saints Row game ever, but, meh, the doodle popped into my head. Go figure. You'll likely see this on FFN at some point.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So I've been playing more of the game, because I am trying to clean the pallet between FF-games and whatnot, and I've been just dicking around in the open world trying to "complete" districts or whatever.

But turns out that's impossible. You see you build these businesses that unlock side missions or activities like Insurance Fraud or whatever, but a bunch of these fucking things are just broken. Like your garage business called JimRob's because they thought Rimjob's from previous games was too offensive just like FreckleBitches is now just called FB's, anyway the garage has you hunt down specific cars and bring them back to the garage for parts. There are 11 cars in total and the game tells you what the next car is every time you turn in the previous car. However after number 10 the game simply didn't tell me what number 11 was, so it's uncompletable.

There is a Toxic Waste business where you have to grab 14 trucks around the city and drive them very carefully back to the business. After turning in all 14 4 of the locations reset and the venture Un-completes itself making it again...impossible to finish.

The more you play the more broken it gets.