Science Discovers That Teenage Girls Talk Too Much

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
Tell me when science finds a way to shut them up.

But seriously lyke OMG dis sciense bizz is awesome for finding thiz out <333333333333333

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
ace_of_something said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Yeah, because teenage boys never have any problems.

Apart from their higher levels of suicide, obviously.
While boys COMMIT suicide more than girls. Girls ATTEMPT suicide much more often then boys. The difference being method. Girls tend to try chemical means, (less violent) which gives more time for recovery and more margin of error. Boys however are more likely to use a violent method like a gun or hanging, which is pretty much instant.

This is also true for adults.
Now for the tasteless and obligatory, Problem Solvers joke, to be made. We Get'R Done... *headdesk*

Ow, that hurt my brain. In other news, pain hurts and scientists plan to prove this.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
I'm going to repeat myself: No fucking shit Sherlock.

"Let's research obvious stuff then call it a new discovery!"

The people who did this are not scientists. No, they're not scientists. They're just people dressed up has scientists. And if they really ARE scientists, then this is just plain sad.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Really? I always found talking about what's on my mind and problems are very therapeutic and very relazing.

The same idea that goes into dairies where it's better just to get everything out.

Spitfire175

Jul 1, 2009
Drake the Dragonheart said:
uppitycracker said:
In other news, research finds that food can taste good! Seriously though, these scientists must be getting extremely bored.
I have to admit when I saw the title my first thought was "scientists have just discovered fish breathe water, or air contains oxygen!"
Same here. Now I can at least back up my arguments when I want my students to shut the hell up.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
God bless them, all those years of social inadequacy have finally started to show through their work...

Logic 0

Aug 28, 2009
Malygris said:
Science Discovers That Teenage Girls Talk Too Much

A recent study published in the Journal of Adolescence [http://www.elsevier.com/locate/adolescence] claims that "excessive" use of instant messaging and social networks can lead to significantly higher levels of depression - among 14-year-old girls.

The problem, according to Stony Brook University [http://www.sunysb.edu/] Professor Dr. Joanne Davila, is that easy access to email, social networks and other forms of always-on communications leads to excessive and repetitive discussions of the same problem, also known as "co-rumination," which can worsen the mood of teenage girls and create negative emotions. "There is a wealth of communication technology available to teens today that allows them to talk over and over again about the same emotional difficulties," Davila said. "Texting, instant messaging and social networking make it very easy for adolescents to become even more anxious, which can lead to depression."

Davila's study interviewed 83 girls around 13 years of age, asking questions about how much time they spent talking to friends about their problems and how often they "revisited" the same problems, and also given a test for depressive symptoms. A year later they were contacted with follow-up questions and were given the test again; higher levels of discussing problems with friends were "significantly" linked to higher levels of depression.

"Lots of talking can help if those involved have strong problem-solving skills because it helps them reach a solution and it builds friendships," Davila said. But she also warned that teenagers "often don't realize that excessive talking is actually making them feel worse." And while girls are the focus of Davila's study, she added that the proliferation of communications technology could eventually lead to more "co-rumination" between teenage boys as well. "It's most likely they are discussing the game last night or meeting up, but there's a possibility they could start discussing emotional problems more than in the past which would put them at risk," she said.

I've never been a teenage girl myself but I had the opportunity to spend many of my formative years living in the same house as one of them, and here's a newsflash: Long before the advent of MSN [http://www.facebook.com] and text messaging, I lost count of how many times the whole friggin' world came crashing down around us because somebody was being such a *****. Does modern technology facilitate personal communication on a scale never before seen? Absolutely. Are the lives of teenage girls packed with drama and woe because of it? I don't think so.

Source: ReadWriteWeb [http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1132788/Why-chatting-long-Facebook-girl-down.html]

This study has proven what Iv'e been trying to tell people for years. Thank you for giveing me a solid foundation for my arguements.

Flos

Aug 2, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
dalek sec said:
Drake the Dragonheart said:
uppitycracker said:
In other news, research finds that food can taste good! Seriously though, these scientists must be getting extremely bored.
I have to admit when I saw the title my first thought was "scientists have just discovered fish breathe water, or air contains oxygen!"
Ditto guys, glad to see that tax payer money was well spent on something like this.
Why cure cancer? I see what they're doing, though. They're trying to invent Captain Obvious pills.
It's working.
You know that the scientists and doctors that do these types of studies aren't the 'curing cancer' kind of scientists and doctors, right?

My English teacher had a doctorate. He probably couldn't tell you the first thing about cancer cells.

I also had a science teacher that had a doctorate in damn near everything, but that's completely irrelevant, because she could have been the type to do research projects and cure cancer, she just chose teaching.

Mar 26, 2008
Maybe it's the actual form of communication rather than the frequency. Facebook, Twitter, SMS, etc are non-verbal forms of communication; "back in the day" people had to actually use their voices to communicate. I read this book called 'The Female Brain' which basically said that females get a rush of dopamine when they talk to other people, hence why they tend to favour approaching an issue by talking through it rather than with violence. Unfortunately the male brain semi-rewards more forceful solutions, like giving a "combat high". I'm over-simplifying things for sure, but you get the idea.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
The problem with this study is that they are looking at messaging as the explanatory variable of depression when, in actuality, it seems more likely that depression explains "excessive" messaging. In other words, those who are depressed need more emotional support and use internet networking sites more often because of that. Not the other way around.

Sort of like this:

Violent people play ultra-violent games

Ultra-violent games don't turn them into violent people

They play ultra-violent games because they already are (so do normal people, but violent people are even more inclined to probably)

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
ace_of_something said:

While boys COMMIT suicide more than girls. Girls ATTEMPT suicide much more often then boys. The difference being method. Girls tend to try chemical means, (less violent) which gives more time for recovery and more margin of error. Boys however are more likely to use a violent method like a gun or hanging, which is pretty much instant.

As in Wikipedia, I'd have to call citation needed. Also, attempted suicide is often a case for a cry for attention, whilst suicide itself is rarely if ever.

From the National Statistics: http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=1092 : In 2007 there were 5,377 suicides in adults aged 15 and over, 177 less than in 2006 (5,554) and 940 less than in 1991 (6,317). Three-quarters of the suicides in 2007 were men, and this proportion has remained fairly constant throughout the 1991-2007 period.

Also : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7244486.stm :However, the proportion of women aged 15 to 34 committing suicide by hanging has increased "massively" - from 5.7% of all suicides in 1968 to 47.3% by 2005.

So that would tend to disprove your "violence" theory.
Suicide amongst young people is bad all around. Girls do it more dramatically, and generally, don't do it seriously. It's mostly to get attention. It's sad, isn't it :(

CoziestPigeon

Oct 6, 2008
ace_of_something said:

Just one more thing guys are better at.
I'm kidding, don't report my ass.