"Science: It's a Girl Thing" Says Controversial Ad

Phisi

Jun 1, 2011
I think the end comment is highly sexist, as for most of the ad, I try not to abstract meaning from content 'cause I really don't know what they are trying to communicate, with a direct statement it isn't so hard but I think the add is just them trying to sell something instead of communicate their sexist ideas. As far as I can tell it is similar to other ads targeted at females. They have the sassy ladies, a hot guy who's interested in them, some various other stuff seen as feminine and the actual product. Pain the set in vibrant 'girly' colours and you're done. Got no problem with that, it's just marketing and not trying to instill some gender roles, just using them. I am far more concerned that some department of the EU would okay such a sexist comment, that science is a girls thing.

Kodlak

Feb 5, 2009
Doing 4 years at Uni I can say that in Biological Sciences the men were actually outnumbered.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
This is horrible, this seems like an ad an alien would make if the only thing it knew about our species is what it gathered from our very worst television shows. I seem to be getting this message out of this ad:

"But remember girls you can only be a scientist if you already look like a model, oh and just a reminder of the apparent current axiom regarding your sex, if you are a woman and a model you can be anything you want, if not, you are powerless in society and should feel bad."

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
The big fekkin' hediots!

The worst part is that the only people who get into scientific careers tend to be exceptionally intelligent in the first place - those are the same people this advert condescends to.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
in this video is the oddest kitchen I have ever seen..... Kidding! At least I got a laugh out of the advert

Blackdoom

Sep 11, 2008
I think my main issue with the video is that they wouldn't be let into a lab wearing clothes like that, Especially the high heeled shoes.

CaptainOctopus

Oct 5, 2011
Bah what a sexist and stupid commercial that was! If I would have made a commercial I would have started the video with a black screen and like some an inspirational quote on it, like this one:

All my life through, the new sights of Nature made me rejoice like a child.
-Marie Curie
, the first person to win TWO Nobel prices motherfuckers!

Then it would like pan over real woman scientist working in their respected fields, you know like showing their name and credentials and shit to give the video a bit more credibility. Later when they all take a break from smashing subatomic particles, searching for a cure to cancer, discovering new planets etc, they all start walking towards their favorite club The Hot Zone, where everyone has fever... to dance! So like everyone in there start to do some cool dance moves in slow-motion while DJ Dr. Kleiner plays his favorite song.
And then it ends with the line, Science is sexy! ^^

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
I'm not sure whether they wanted to advertise science or SCIENCE!!!&#0153

No, they're not the same. No, science doesn't involve special effects and funky colors. That's the domain of SCIENCE!!!&#0153. Science is more about a lot of measurements, repetition and stuff like that.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
looks more like a cosmetics ad with a chemistry setting then something real science related.
if they really want women into science tell something about Madame Curie

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
I have never found women who wear high heals and cover themselves in make up that attractive. I think it we stopped labouring that stereotype in the media, we would have much more strong and independent women, "rough diamonds" if you will (captcha).

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
This has nothing to do with science.

This is like trying to get boys into science by showing a montage of male football players playing keepy-uppy with a football interspersed with shots of beakers and dry ice, then suddenly saying "real men use science".

THIS is a science video:

"published as part of the EU's"

Not at all surprised. Such an unaccountable group pissing away other people's money and in no way accountable to the people they got the money from nor to whom they are supposed to represent.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Hat Man said:
Science is not a girl thing.

Science is impartial to gender, race and social position.
Perfectly put.

This video seems to take the attitude that opposite sexism today is a cure to sexism of the past. It really is a very gender-neutral field, strongly masculine or feminine stereotypical approaches will not go well.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Wow, they hired a fashion-centered company for this sort of ad, well, it shows, KINDA.

Do go see the EC website, it's terrifying http://science-girl-thing.eu/#
The whole thing reeks of incompetence and can no more claim a lack of funding when they made that video.

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
I don't actually think this ad is offensive. The reason, is because when I was a teenager, I knew hordes of girls for whom this kind of ad is basically a mirror of their life.

"OMG BOYS AND MAKEUP AND EWW NERDS ARE GROSS AND LET'S GO SHOPPING TOGETHER!"

That line isn't just a stereotype. Come on, you've all seen this phase. It's that age around 13-14, where girls are seeing their hormones fly and most of them clump off into cliques that are centered around one-upping each other and trying to get dates to the school dance. The few outliers bury themselves in books and decide not to care, and ending up as the plain-looking folk who don't join the main social crowd. The entire society polarizes until about age 20, the socialites and the nerds drawing a line down the center of the metaphorical treehouse and keeping to either side out of mutual distaste.

As such, what this ad is trying to appeal to is teenage girls who aren't already nerdy and into science. Those who are already there, don't need to be marketed to. The girls who haven't bought into the American teenage girl fantasy, don't need or want this ad. This is for the girls who think that nerds are not sexy, that liking science means you have to give up cosmetics and caring about your appearance past "wearing clothing," that you can't be fashion-conscious and work in a lab, that "beauty" and "intellectual work" have to be mutually exclusive. Even if this opinion fades in adulthood, because college is right at the tail end of the phase, you have to appeal to them before the stereotype wanes away into more complex opinions. This whole conflict is as much nerd-dom's fault as the socialite crew's fault. "People who like makeup and dresses are shallow" is just as bad as "people who like science are ugly and weird." There are too many studies showing that women start hiding their intelligence around teenage-hood, because they don't want to sacrifice their social lives and non-nerdy interests for learning.

Is it really flagrant and garishly done? Absolutely. Is it sexist? No. Because the people who this ad would appeal to, absolutely exist, and in large quantities.

I'm honestly glad someone is trying this.

Khada

Night Angel
Jan 8, 2009
I can see all the problems with this video, but I'm still compelled to think that its makers were trying to appeal to today's female youth (in a somewhat sadly accurate way) whilst trying to sneak in just enough science to MAYBE get a few more of said youth to just LOOK into science. For this, I applaud them. It's FAR from perfect, but I think it's better than nothing.

Sometimes you have to use something stupid to appeal to the stupid.

White-Death

Oct 31, 2011
Chemicals!
Flashing PC mobo!
Ultra close up of make-up exploding and being shaken all over the place!
Glamour shots!
Lipstick!
High-heels!
Smoke! lots of it!
Some women writing a formula which makes no sense, and she probably doesn't know what she is writing!
More glamour shots!
more flashing electronics!
Glamour shots again!

SEE! SCIENCE IS FOR WOMEN!

Capthca:Greased lighting.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Well obviously we've reached a place where ads for women should just start casting frumpy man hating femonists wearing bib overalls on top of a heavy flannel shirt and just be done with it. My god people are overly sensitive these days. If you are someone that honest to god took offense to that video you really should look into pulling the stick out of . . . . . errrr I mean lightening up.