Science Says Gamers are Fat, Depressed Losers

Jurassic Rob

Mar 27, 2009
As much as I'd like to disagree with the scientists, that pretty much describes me!

Damn there observation!

spiggy

Feb 18, 2008
There's a difference between causation and correlation. Are gamers fat and depressed or do people who are fat and depressed play video games? There is no way to tell.

Raurik

Jun 12, 2008
What kills me most is when I hear this argument from someone that sits and watches TV for up to 6 hours a day. At least with video games they're making you think. As far as the fat thing goes, I'm 19, 5' 11" and 130LB. If your kid is sitting in front of the TV playing video games all day then you do the same thing you should if they're watching TV all day. After a while you kick them outside. Miyamoto Shigiru only lets his kids play video games for 2 hours a day. When I was younger I would play them for about 3 - 4 hours a day, but I played outside too. Still do thanks to airsoft. ^o^
It's so many other things than video games. Did the survey ask about the player's and non-player's diet? I know more fat hopeless losers that don't play video games than I know healthy individuals that don't. I really feel that the CDC (Corporate Douche bags in Control) really stacked the cards. bleh..

EDIT: Correction. I'm 20 and apparently retarded because I can't even remember my own age. - -"

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
EgoDeusEst said:
Charli said:
Ah bullshit I am impervious in your attempts to burn my retinas anymore.

I know I'm not the absolute picturesque of 20 year old Female health. But I'm far from miserable, or fat.
Pathetic study.

Once again the factor of 'How much' and 'What else' has been casually over looked to churn out a number to satisfy the nagging grannies and grandpas of the world. Sad.
Perhaps you don't fit the exact terms that the study concluded.
The study just sums up the general findings. As for the findings themselves I fit none of them. Not anymore at least.
Spending money to come up with this conclusion was a waste.

As for your own assumption that grandparents are just waiting for something to shake their fists at... Oh I wouldn't be so sure about that :p
Someone will always stick out :)
Ah well I say 'nagging' grannies and grandpas' there will always be exception, and general findings? I chalk that up when over a million or so cases have been studied, not 500 specially picked out people. Because thats just not broad enough.

The article itself is a bit sloppy and really, did we all need to know this?

Gardenclaw

Jul 12, 2009
Nuke_em_05 said:
Wait... if I sit around all day doing minimal physical activity... and don't go out and meet real people in person... I'll get fat and depressed? Well done science... *clap*... *clap*. Actually... "science" has proved this before. "Science" keeps proving this... maybe someone proved this using science, and people keep having the need to re-prove it.

Gardenclaw said:
In other news scientists find out that Pope is Catholic.........
But, it's all in how you figure it out. We asked him, he said yes. We studied his behavior to see if it matched that of someone who was catholic, it did. We asked members of the Catholic church if they considered him Catholic, they said yes. We can't be conlcusive until we ask members outside of Catholicism if they think he's Catholic. Then we'll prove it for sure!

That's it, I'm changing my motto. Personal responsibility. Yes, spending all day playing video games without any physical activity or personal social interaction is bad. So is sitting at home reading books, or collecting stamps, or watching television, or drinking, at that level. Games don't force you to play them. Sony didn't hold a gun to your head and make you buy the PS3 (though that's probably their next marketing step), Microsoft didn't freeze your assets until you played Halo 3 for 72 hours straight to become the first Major-General (or whatever), Nintendo didn't hold your children hostage to make you... I don't know... do something with the Wii. Nothing is forcing people to game more than other important life activities. To claim the marketing does it just a cop-out. I'm a fat lazy gamer because I choose to game. I recognize that I wouldn't be if I went for more walks and played videogames less. I just don't, and it's not because a commercial told me to.
Now that is a beautiful rant. I salute you.

BoredKellon

Jan 11, 2008
Most logical reason for this imo, fat kids and those with low extraversion will of course tend to fill in the lower end of the social ladder as youths and therefore seek social support or escapism outside of the standard social environment. In comes games and the internet, which unfortunately are generally not highly physical activities leading to those who have little in the way of friends outside this online realm to simply never leave their computer decreasing their health. Now this is of course my biased opinion.

Problem I see with studies like this, isn't a problem with the study, but with how people are going to react to it. They will see the problem as video games causing people to abandon their friends for "fake" online friends and never going outside and so becoming fat. They will look at video games as the problem, not what leads some of these people to them.

velcthulhu

Feb 14, 2009
I'd say some "scientists" need to go look up the difference between correlation and causation. Also, I believe that someone who considers "reduced extroversion" a flaw should not have their opinions on human behavior taken seriously.
Also, I'm underweight and happy, despite the heinous influence of my WoW subscription.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
velcthulhu said:
I'd say some "scientists" need to go look up the difference between correlation and causation. Also, I believe that someone who considers "reduced extroversion" a flaw should not have their opinions on human behavior taken seriously.
Also, I'm underweight and happy, despite the heinous influence of my WoW subscription.
Here here! And I also know that the majority of my gaming friends are very skinny. Like me.

Agrosmurf

Mar 31, 2009
I agree with the lot above me. Thank you "science" I will now do back to my Skinny, sociable game playing life. ^.^

anyGould

Sep 17, 2007
Give it a couple weeks: it'll come out that the research was sponsored by the Association For The Advancement of the Jock Lifestyle.

Jun 8, 2009
There's already enough stereotypes about gamers being fat, depressed, lonely, lifeless freaks. Do we need a scientific study and the U.S. president on the side of non-gamers as well? The government is finally coming down on us..

In all seriousness I find that gaming is something that makes people happy.. Mostly because it was designed for entertainment. (Begins stroking his apparently obese, depressed, and lonely chin.) I wonder what my life would be like without gaming..