Server Issues Mar Diablo III's Launch

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
And this, in addition to the plethora of tests I have this week, is why I am going to buy Diablo 3 in a week, when the server number has been increased to sustain all the people and I won't fail tests due to entire days being consumed by Diablo.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Ed130 said:
What's the chances there will be a crack so you can play it without a internet connection by the end of this month?
I'm going with fairly low as a hell of a lot of the game is serverside.

Edit: Fecking ninjas.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
i remain unsurprised

since you know, this happens every time any thing 'online' launches
Aeshi said:
Breaking News: Popular game is popular.

And wow, we're about 9 posts in and already the stuck-up anti-DRM cretins have crawled out of the woodwork to whine.
disappointing isn't it, you'd think they'd have something better to do.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Baresark said:
Antari said:
Incase you missed EA's foray into the Indie market a little while ago. Indie isn't indie anymore. Its just the latest buzz word large corporations have taken to sticking on themselves.
Indie still means indie, even if EA is not using the term correctly. It is a buzz word, but most development houses still use the word correctly. EA uses it in the terms of the games being low budget, non-triple-A titles. This is an element of indie games, but we all know it means independent of publishers. EA is stupid, but the meaning of indie hasn't changed and is still used properly by most games that are listed as "indie".
If you take a closer look at development budgets and major contributors to a few of these "indie developers" you might find yourself going back on that statement. A year ago, I could agree with you. But now, not so much. Just because they aren't releasing through a major publisher doesn't mean they aren't being run by one through the wallet. With the exception of a very small handfull of developers using systems like Kickstarter, most indie's aren't indie anymore.

TheLazyGeek

Nov 7, 2009
Server issues? At launch?!

But seriously, as Fappy brought up, thank god for LAN-play and single player.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Baresark said:
Ed130 said:
What's the chances there will be a crack so you can play it without a internet connection by the end of this month?
Zero. All of the drops, and enemy spawns are server side. Without it there is no game.
Which means that if Blizzard decides to take down the servers at some yet to be determined time, there is no game. Oh well, at least I will always have D2.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Anyone who didn't see this coming is a twat. Regardless of DRM issues, a lot of people were still going to buy Diablo III, they were going to get it on launch day, they were going to want to play it on launch day, and a large amount of people were not going to be able to play this on launch day because of servers hitting capacity.

Not that it matters. Once launch day issues are over, people will start playing at different times, relieving the servers, start buying stuff from the online auction store, and Blizzard will call it a great big success. There will be people who can't play because their connection is dodgy, but they don't matter either, in the large scheme of things. And the cycle continues.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Lucky for me I got into the game straight away, no hassle.

My only concern is my internet cutting out as it typically does from time to time, but if that happens I can always play Torchlight 1 until it comes back on, because you know, you can actually play that without a connection.

Apr 28, 2008
DTH1337 said:
Never understand how companies constantly underestimate the amount of players who will want to play games like this on launch day. Blizzard should have expected this to happen.
Heh, indeed.

Activision/Blizzard - "Diablo 3 will be a huge launch that'll take the gaming world by storm, which is confirmed by the millions of pre-orders!"

Everyone else - "So how many servers have you set up for it?"

Activision/Blizzard - "Um... seven?"

Everyone else - "..."

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Scars Unseen said:
Baresark said:
Ed130 said:
Zero. All of the drops, and enemy spawns are server side. Without it there is no game.
Which means that if Blizzard decides to take down the servers at some yet to be determined time, there is no game. Oh well, at least I will always have D2.
This is true. I wonder how long certain games will last. For instance, EA has taken to shutting off servers and they are one of the biggest publishers out there (though they are having financial issues). This is a good reason why SP games are still very relevant and very important. Anything that runs this way has a built in expiration date, even if no one knows what it is. Games that I grew up playing on the PC do not. Sure with new OS's and what not it becomes harder to play them and may require some tweaking, but the game isn't dead. This game will one day die, even if it's 20 years from now, and when it does, there will be no resurrecting it.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Oh goody, another insane launch because they underestimate the demand. Just like TOR trying to limit how many people could play at launch and failing utterly.
I called it. I fucking called it. And does this really surprise anyone at all?

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Worgen said:
DTH1337 said:
Never understand how companies constantly underestimate the amount of players who will want to play games like this on launch day. Blizzard should have expected this to happen.

And you can't even play the single player because you have to be constantly connected to the internet for playing what should be an "offline" mode.

Just more examples of how companies underestimate the amount of players that will log in to their games and how DRM simply doesn't work.
I doubt they really underestimate it, I think its more they just are planning ahead for when not as many people are logging on, they don't want to pay extra to be able to handle the huge initial influx of players and then end up not needing it a few weeks later.
If they'd made sure the release went smoothly they probably wouldn't have to worry about loosing half the userbase within the first couple of months.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
oggebogge91 said:
eh... I'm already in act III. playing with around 50-100 ms in latency, no problems whatsoever.
Good thing you're the only one who matters.

Close the thread, oggebogge91 has no problems whatsoever with Diablo III.

Nick Thaler

Mar 18, 2010
For those mentioning blizzard taking down the D3 servers eventually. They still have the Diablo 2 and StarCraft servers up and those games are ancient. I wouldn't expect them to pull the plug on these servers for another 10-20 years.

littlewisp

Mar 25, 2010
I got in last night and had fun before I went to bed! Ahhh, lovely witch doctor, just wait till I can play again. . .or maybe I'll try a different class. I dunno.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
ravenshrike said:
Baresark said:
Ed130 said:
Bets? Within 3 months there will be a offline server setup. Within 6 it will be indistinguishable from blizzard's setup, and within a year the server will be moddable.
While I think this is possible (so I take back my zero percent chance and increase it infinitely for the sake of fun to some other number that is not quite as tiny as zero(love how math works in regards to this)), I think Blizzard will sue the pants off of anyone who is caught with this or trying to do this. Whether it's successful or not is another story. I know that I would buy the game from them if this was a possibility.

TheLazyGeek

Nov 7, 2009
Crono1973 said:
oggebogge91 said:
eh... I'm already in act III. playing with around 50-100 ms in latency, no problems whatsoever.
Good thing you're the only one who matters.

Close the thread, oggebogge91 has no problems whatsoever with Diablo III.
Thank God for that and for Ogge. Having this thread open, I think it was giving me cancer.

Captcha: glass ceiling
HA!

Pandaman1911

Fuzzy Cuddle Beast
Jan 3, 2011
Hmm, if only there were some way to bypass this... some form of... gameplay mode, where one doesn't NEED a connection to shoddy servers... perhaps where one is alone, and doesn't even need to play with other people...

But so far as I know, no such thing exists. Oh well, Blizz, you did your best!