Server Issues Mar Diablo III's Launch

Jan 22, 2011
gee I wonder if it was good idea to make this online only now blizzard. I would have more sarcasm to throw around, however it's been covered enough so far.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
2 things here. The first thing is you'd think a company famous for it's MMORPG with millions and millions of players would be able to handle millions and millions of players on launch day. Secondly what benefit is there to have to stay connected to play single player? I bet if people didn't have to do that that there'd have been no server problems.

luckshot

Jul 18, 2008
i feel bad for the people that want to play it, also glad that i did not buy it.

but seariously why are games that require an always online connection of this type (phone home) having this problem,especially from a big publisher? did they not look into how many people pre ordered and make an educated guess as to how much stress their servers would be under and take appropriate action?

Covarr said:
Sonic 4: Episode II may not be a great game, but right now it holds the distinct advantage of being a playable game. It looks like I chose the right May 15 game to preorder.

P.S. Thanks
this had me chuckling for a good five minutes when i saw it

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
People still have trouble logging in? That went away, in the EU at least, about 3 hours after launch. The more current problem is that today during peak hours (evening to midnight), the game was laggy. And I don't mean 200 ms, I mean 500+, making it practically unplayable.

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
ravenshrike said:
Baresark said:
Ed130 said:
What's the chances there will be a crack so you can play it without a internet connection by the end of this month?
Zero. All of the drops, and enemy spawns are server side. Without it there is no game.
Bets? Within 3 months there will be a offline server setup. Within 6 it will be indistinguishable from blizzard's setup, and within a year the server will be moddable.
I hope to god that this is the truth.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I wonder when some industrious person will make an offline hack so people who bought this game will be able to play it?

I'm happy with Star Wars and City of Heroes. Let me know when Blizz stops screwing over its "much appreciated" customers.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Aeshi said:
Breaking News: Popular game is popular.

And wow, we're about 9 posts in and already the stuck-up anti-DRM cretins have crawled out of the woodwork to whine.
Being "for" pro-consumerism doesn't make you stuck-up or indie. It has a singleplayer component that requires you to not only log in to play, but to maintain a connection because AI and attack algorithms are handled by the server as well. Honestly, if you're not even SLIGHTLY angry that Blizzard thinks that's a good thing to have, as apposed to an appalling waste of resources and bandwidth, you have to rethink your affiliations.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
TheRealCJ said:
Lunar Templar said:
i remain unsurprised

since you know, this happens every time any thing 'online' launches
Aeshi said:
Breaking News: Popular game is popular.

And wow, we're about 9 posts in and already the stuck-up anti-DRM cretins have crawled out of the woodwork to whine.
disappointing isn't it, you'd think they'd have something better to do.
Yeah, they should stop complaining and just enjoy playing the new game they just bough- ooooh...
or any game really.

don't get when people complain when it doesn't effect them.
not saying some of the people complain aren't effected by this, just that a lot of them seem to have had no interest in playing it to begin with and are going 'see?!' to act superior or something.

:p and i've had enough time to get a demon hunter to 10 and a barb to 9 so its not that bad (i take the time to explore every nook and crany)

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
DTH1337 said:
Never understand how companies constantly underestimate the amount of players who will want to play games like this on launch day. Blizzard should have expected this to happen.

And you can't even play the single player because you have to be constantly connected to the internet for playing what should be an "offline" mode.

Just more examples of how companies underestimate the amount of players that will log in to their games and how DRM simply doesn't work.
Tbh, I expected launch day to be like this. And thats saying something. I did not trust blizzard to pull off a good launch, I expected servers would be shit.

And thats pretty sad. I expect to get bad service, I expect to not be able to play the game I've paid for. Where is Jim Sterling when you need him? :<

halfeclipse

Nov 8, 2008
Heh, seems that the hamster hasn't so much fallen off the wheel as it got catapulted out of it and bounced around the room for a while. All of battle-net is currently down.

Exterminas said:
What all the wisecracks seem to forget:
These issues aren't at launch, they are several hours after launch, during the first peak hour the game is released.

This isn't some kind of super-rush on the servers at 00:00, it is completely expectable traffic
Except for midnight launches most game stores open at around 9-10 am and then there's people getting off work, out of school etc. Also time zones. Launch "hour" is more along the lines of 12-24 hours long.

GiantRaven said:
Nick Thaler said:
For those mentioning blizzard taking down the D3 servers eventually. They still have the Diablo 2 and StarCraft servers up and those games are ancient. I wouldn't expect them to pull the plug on these servers for another 10-20 years.
And what about in, say, 50-60 years time?
GiantRaven said:
I would assume the same kind of person who would watch films made in the 50s in 2012. But I guess that sounds equally ridiculous to you right? Why should we bother to make our media and entertainment last?

Imagine if a game like Super Mario Brothers had this shit in it. People still play that game today and I bet still will be in decades to come because it's a great game.

Oh man yea, imagine if I wanted to boot up an original copy of Spacewar!
Err no wait, things have changed so much there's exactly one computer in the world able to run it

Let's try Vette! instead, that's only 20 or so yeas old after all. I'm sure it'll require a whole bunch of fuckery well beyond the average computer user for it to run, but that's fine. I'll just pop this floppy dis.... oh wait no.

Well what about Dungeon Keeper 2? That's about 10 years old so it comes on a CD. Installs happily, boots up but all sorts of colour issues... and oh look it just crashed to desktop for no reason at all.

But no, you're so right net connection is going to be the biggest problem with playing Diablo 3 50 years from now.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
The servers are down, when trying to connect to the server it doesnt say disconnected, it says password is wrong.

Millions of people go onto the website for account managing and serverstatus check to reset their password. Website for server status checking goes down.

Diablo 3 status.

Website - Down.
Servers - Down.

Great job Blizzard. You 'really' know how to handle a launch. You just couldnt wait that one week more and fetch a couple of new servers for the initial rush.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
You know, I can't help but wonder if opening the game to preloaders a few days early would have had most of the bugs worked out by the time the store-boughts got on.

TheMadTypist

Sep 8, 2009
Well absolutely nobody saw this coming. But, within a day or so, they'll get it mostly up again and they'll be off and running. Then they'll release a statement about how "thrilled" they are by the "record demand for Diablo III", perhaps along with a rough estimate for how many bajillions the game's sale has brought in and some initial figure to show the real-money auction house is already active, rounding up with a reminder for "those few still experiencing difficulty logging onto battle.net" to submit support tickets and thanking everyone for their enthusiasm. Then wooo, off it rockets into the stratosphere to hang out along with SC2 or even WoW in popularity for the next decade. I don't like what they did with D3 (and as a result just didn't bother buying it) but before long all this fuss will just be forgotten and the people who like D3 will be playing it and the people who don't, wont.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I pre-ordered torchlight 2 today and I never do that.

Screw always on DRM. Its nobody's business but my own when I play, how long I play and who I play with.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
What baffles me is the "everyone should have seen this coming" excuse. Okay... so if we, as consumers, knew that this was going to happen, why do they, as developers, do nothing about it?

I'm not saying that Battle.net's Diablo III team wasn't hard at work crunching numbers all night, whilst trying to make things work for the loyal fans that purchased their game at midnight, but how were they not more prepared? Blizzard has been beating their chest over the massive number of pre-orders for a long time now. Now not only are log in errors running rampant, several people are reporting their characters missing from their Heroes list for no reason.

I have no idea how any of this ACTUALLY works. I mean, I'm sure companies don't just look at launch days of their games and not give a shit because the consumer should EXPECT to have problems on launch day, but has everything that could have possibly been done to prepare really been done? This is not a smart-ass question; I don't pretend to be one of those gamers that understand how these things work, despite knowing nothing. It just confuses me how every single online game has this issue, and every single time the consumer is expected to just accept that.

Again, not trying to be an asshole or anything, but isn't it just a little strange? Companies track pre-orders and don't seem to prepare servers accordingly. I'm sure it's not that easy, but I'd like to find out sometime.

ProtonGuy

Apr 7, 2011
"Mar"? There is no "Mar" here, Hell there wasn't even a launch. Myself and 9 friends bought this thing 24 hours ago and we haven't even seen the opening cinematic! It's not like this is their first rodeo either, they set the bar for massive online play, and the launches there of.

I'm sorry Blizzard but I'm done with decade long development cycles, and launches so horrific H.P. Lovecraft could write about them if he were alive today. God forbid I may even subscribe to Tera, and renew my Star Wars time.