Server Issues Mar Diablo III's Launch

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Aeshi said:
Breaking News: Popular game is popular.

And wow, we're about 9 posts in and already the stuck-up anti-DRM cretins have crawled out of the woodwork to whine.
Being "for" pro-consumerism doesn't make you stuck-up or indie. It has a singleplayer component that requires you to not only log in to play, but to maintain a connection because AI and attack algorithms are handled by the server as well. Honestly, if you're not even SLIGHTLY angry that Blizzard thinks that's a good thing to have, as apposed to an appalling waste of resources and bandwidth, you have to rethink your affiliations.
No but, swarming any thread with the words "Diablo III" to post "OMG ERROR 37 LOL!!!!!" "GOOD THING I BOUGHT [INSERT INDIE VERSION HERE] AND WASN'T A MINDLESS SHEEP!!!" and overall harass/annoy anyone who actually did buy the game to enjoy because it's easier than complaining to Blizzard or actually doing anything about the DRM makes you stuck-up.

If these are the sort of people always-on DRM keeps from playing the game then I'm bloody glad Diablo III has it.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
WMDogma said:
Blizzard's requirement that players always be connected to the internet [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112528-Diablo-3-Always-Online-Requirement-Helps-Fight-Hackers-Says-Blizzard], even for single player, has more than likely exacerbated the problem.
All they needed to do was use a system that actually made sense and nowhere near as many people would be annoyed.

Come on Blizzard, you're better than this.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
MasterSaji said:
Server issues? At launch?!

But seriously, as Fappy brought up, thank god for LAN-play and single player.
You can't play without logging into the servers--there is no "reaL' singe player.

Or did you know that and I missed the sarcasm? In that case... I'll just be over there >_>

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Aeshi said:
No but, swarming any thread with the words "Diablo III" to post "OMG ERROR 37 LOL!!!!!" "GOOD THING I BOUGHT [INSERT INDIE VERSION HERE] AND WASN'T A MINDLESS SHEEP!!!" and overall harass/annoy anyone who actually did buy the game to enjoy because it's easier than complaining to Blizzard or actually doing anything about the DRM makes you stuck-up.

If these are the sort of people always-on DRM keeps from playing the game then I'm bloody glad Diablo III has it.
I haven't seen any of that. I know Torchlight 2 is getting a lot of press but it's hardly "indie," and it's apt in the Diablo III conversation because it's being developed by the team who made Diablo II. I haven't seen it reaching obnoxious levels yet, though really... who wouldn't be happy to see they backed the horse that doesn't lock them out of their game for arbitrary dev-side issues?

The conversation should be about the game and its system, not the people. That's like saying "oh well I can't support x because y supports it and I hate y!" People are voicing their concerns. No matter who those people are, the argument remains the same - so focus on the argument itself. Otherwise you'll end up constructing strawmen and that isn't a good way to debate anything.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
halfeclipse said:
Oh man yea, imagine if I wanted to boot up an original copy of Spacewar!
Err no wait, things have changed so much there's exactly one computer in the world able to run it

Let's try Vette! instead, that's only 20 or so yeas old after all. I'm sure it'll require a whole bunch of fuckery well beyond the average computer user for it to run, but that's fine. I'll just pop this floppy dis.... oh wait no.

Well what about Dungeon Keeper 2? That's about 10 years old so it comes on a CD. Installs happily, boots up but all sorts of colour issues... and oh look it just crashed to desktop for no reason at all.

But no, you're so right net connection is going to be the biggest problem with playing Diablo 3 50 years from now.
Actually Dungeon Keeper 2 is pretty easy to get running perfectly, aside from that, if only there was some sort of game distribution that we could do digitally, so that we wouldn't have to worry about older game installation problems, if only there was some way to check once to make sure the game wasn't pirated, I agree that the time-frame given is absurd, but you can't just write off the always online crap by assuming that means it will work better than the games you mentioned.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Aeshi said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Aeshi said:
Breaking News: Popular game is popular.

And wow, we're about 9 posts in and already the stuck-up anti-DRM cretins have crawled out of the woodwork to whine.
Being "for" pro-consumerism doesn't make you stuck-up or indie. It has a singleplayer component that requires you to not only log in to play, but to maintain a connection because AI and attack algorithms are handled by the server as well. Honestly, if you're not even SLIGHTLY angry that Blizzard thinks that's a good thing to have, as apposed to an appalling waste of resources and bandwidth, you have to rethink your affiliations.

Bullshit. I've gone through every page of this thread, nobody here who dislikes this ever went after somebody who did not directly antagonize them, and of course people have complained to blizzard, here's a thread of 200+ pages (4000+ posts) long of customers who can't play the game: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4077738283?page=1
and what do you expect us to do about the DRM? There's only two options, 1. don't buy it, 2. Pirate/crack it, which goes against the point of having the DRM.

If you think this DRM will keep stuck up people from the servers, or stop people from pirating it, then I really feel sorry for you.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
halfeclipse said:
Oh man yea, imagine if I wanted to boot up an original copy of Spacewar!
Err no wait, things have changed so much there's exactly one computer in the world able to run it
http://spacewar.oversigma.com/

In 50 years time you'll probably be able to run Crysis in the future equivalent of Java. And yes, Spacewar (and the specs of the hardware it ran on) is in the public domain so there should not be any legal issues regarding an emulator for it.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
I find it sad, funny and ironic all at the same time...

That I'm playing Diablo 1 on my PS2 (and enjoying my single-player) while laughing my tits off about the problems Blizzard is having ATM with their servers. I now feel vindicated that I cancelled my Collector's Edition pre-order of D3 and put that money instead towards Borderlands 2, Trials: Evolution and Torchlight 2.

However, I wish all the luck in the world to the people that did buy the game that they will eventually enjoy it.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Best part is, no one will remember this in a month, but everyone will whine anyway :p

Always online DRM is dumb no matter how you swing it though. Hey if they just let you play offline single player, these complaints wouldn't be here.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
The onl;y problem I had was single player LAG, LAG IN SINGLE PLAYER WTF Blizzard, anyway 15 hours later the server shut down and booted me off, act 1 is done though XD

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
Well, since I didn't buy the game, I see one good thing and one bad thing about this:

Bad thing: I have a lot of coworkers that do play it. I have to listen to it ALL DAY.
Good thing: I have a lot of coworkers that do play it. I get to have a giggle at their expense.

Blizzard Entertainment: Entertainment by Any Means Necessary

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Zer_ said:
Abedeus said:
Zer_ said:
Amnestic said:
Skeleon said:
Amnestic said:
'cept it didn't. You could play SC2 in offline mode.
You could? I thought Battlenet 2.0 made that impossible. Oh well.
As I said, I haven't played any of the Blizzard games after Frozen Throne, so my understanding is only second-hand.
You could most definitely play it in offline mode and, contrary to what PercyBoleyn said, you could do so on your account and not need a guest account. I have done so when my internet was down.
Yep. You didn't get achievements or anything of the like, but who cares. At least the functionality was there.
In Diablo 3, drops are server-side. That's to prevent people from getting data about items, coming up with duping methods, then ruining the market. Like in Diablo 2.
You can easily compartmentalize, as in retain server side drops while providing drops client side in a separate file for single player.
No. If you give any drop table to the client, people WILL find a way to get dupes and cheats online.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Antari said:
If they'd made sure the release went smoothly they probably wouldn't have to worry about loosing half the userbase within the first couple of months.
Somehow I don't think they're worrying about that.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
This makes my "should-have-left-it-offline" argument better for me than anything I could have come up with (or DID come up with, if anyone finds that thread).

Blizzard, Blizzard, Blizzard, just allow me to pat you on the back, put a warm hand on your shoulder, and say I FUCKING TOLD YOU SO.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Abedeus said:
Zer_ said:
Abedeus said:
Zer_ said:
Amnestic said:
Skeleon said:
Amnestic said:
'cept it didn't. You could play SC2 in offline mode.
You could? I thought Battlenet 2.0 made that impossible. Oh well.
As I said, I haven't played any of the Blizzard games after Frozen Throne, so my understanding is only second-hand.
You could most definitely play it in offline mode and, contrary to what PercyBoleyn said, you could do so on your account and not need a guest account. I have done so when my internet was down.
Yep. You didn't get achievements or anything of the like, but who cares. At least the functionality was there.
In Diablo 3, drops are server-side. That's to prevent people from getting data about items, coming up with duping methods, then ruining the market. Like in Diablo 2.
You can easily compartmentalize, as in retain server side drops while providing drops client side in a separate file for single player.
No. If you give any drop table to the client, people WILL find a way to get dupes and cheats online.
So you're saying that having the drops client-side is the only way to dupe/cheat? That must be why no MMO has ever had item duplication bugs or hacking of any kind.