Shower Thoughts MK2

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Yeah, now that I think about it, Anakin doesn't count because he is a deus ex machina in the narrative, not as a role he does in the films. A better one I just thought of is Donald Pleasence in the original Halloween; he saves Laurie at the end but Michael still gets away.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yeah, now that I think about it, Anakin doesn't count because he is a deus ex machina in the narrative, not as a role he does in the films. A better one I just thought of is Donald Pleasence in the original Halloween; he saves Laurie at the end but Michael still gets away.
But that's the whole crux of the question though isn't it? Can you be a deus ex machina if you don't do the thing you are supposed to do? The fact that you failed at the deus exing, would imply that you AREN'T a deus ex machina, because you didn't fix the mess by stint of being there. So, I personally don't think it's possible to be a failed deus ex, not as the descriptive term for the narrative tool. I think we're conflating Chosen One with Deus Ex in this case perhaps? As you can often how a False Chosen, and Anakin is a prime example. But Chosen One is more of an in-universe thing, describing the expectations of a populace upon an individual. Whereas Deus Ex is more an external-universe label, for a plot device and what it accomplishes, given a narrative structure.

Again, that's just my take on the terminology we're tossing about, that no, by definition, it's impossible to have a Deus Ex Machina that doesn't accomplish the deus exing, as if they didn't do it, they wouldn't be a Deus Ex Machina. It's like calling someone the winner of some competition, when they actually lost.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I find myself really wanting to steal one of my friend's phones for a few minutes, and rename one of their primary contacts Scam Likely, just to see how long they ignore the calls from that person before realizing what happened.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
My other thought was: Why is it easier for me to find episodes of The Gummi Bears online than it is to find full runs of The Bugs Bunny and Tweetie Show? Bugs is way more popular, this should be far easier to do.
Thanks for the answer.

And back to you, yes, Bugs Bunny is more popular. Therefore more marketable. With higher demand, there's always someone around wanting their cut.

The fact is, maybe a handful of people care about the gummi bears enough to look them up? The legal, marketing, and distribution teams cost alone to start up the "PAY US" machine will cost far more than whatever they would recoup from the Gummi Bears.

Meanwhile, people still love Bugs Bunny. Therefore money to be made.

Reactions: EvilRoy

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
When brexit ravages what's left of this tory-infested husk of a county while their corporate parasite friends have gleefully picked the bones of our last public assets clean, our largest remaining export will be cold-blooded terfism.

Last edited:

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
I mean the only thing that I can come up with is Symphogear GX where a girls father is burned at the stake, and she vows to commit genocide against a cruel world that took her father away. Yeah, anime is all I got for this subject.

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
I always find it funny and strange that most women I've met didn't like listening to their dad, but they are attracted to men who are basically father figures.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
It may seem like hoarding, but it's best to keep old phone charger cables, as you never know when you might need a bit of sturdy materials to escape out the window or hang yourself with.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I've found myself curiously attracted to women with, I dunno, "distinctive" noses. Started with Cynthia Frelund (sports commentator, 1st pic,) then remembered being recently drawn to Jenny Slate (2nd pic,) and an attraction to Kathryn Hahn during her stint in "Parks an Recreation" (3rd picture.) I think the connection stems from a girl I dated when I first moved to Texas who had a similarly distinct nose; it's been a subconscious turn on ever since...

View attachment 503
View attachment 504
View attachment 505
Add another two "distinct noses" to the list: Aditi Kinkhabwala and Jane Slater. Aditi has that long, black hair I just wanna nuzzle my face in, hair like the ex that broke my heart by being married behind my back, and Jane looks like that girl next door who's an absolute freak that snoops through my phone and threatens to kill herself every time I leave the house without her.

1605903052167.png 1605903328742.png

Or maybe I'm just into female sports reporters? If the Make A Wish foundation ever offered me a wish, it be a marathon eight-some with Cynthia Freland, Kay Adams, Colleen Wolfe, Aditi Kinkhabwala, Jane Slater, MJ Acosta, Kimmi Chex and multiple cases of bottled water. I'd have each of the 49ers' 5 Super Bowl wins playing on separate TVs simultaneously throughout, and I'd finish with some good ol' fashion autoerotic asphyxiation while they're all giving me a tongue bath and arguing over which of them loves me the most.

This might have slipped into the "perverted" shower thoughts; I should make a new thread...

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde