Shower Thoughts MK2

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Nope, this may be a harder riddle than I thought. Maybe nobody else has noticed that they get bigger the longer you use them... Well I'll post the answer tomorrow if nobody gets it and then you can all throw things at me.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
In media, apples are the only fruit that are eaten in an 'aggressive ' or 'smartass' way, like eating an apple makes you a hardman. No ever tries it with, like, a banana or an orange or something.

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
In media, apples are the only fruit that are eaten in an 'aggressive ' or 'smartass' way, like eating an apple makes you a hardman. No ever tries it with, like, a banana or an orange or something.
Bananas are too phallic. Orange is you always have to peel first before eating nobody wants to bite the skin. Strawberries are seen as too cute. There have been some old school cartoons where usually a guy is pompous or a flamboyant character that's arrogant would be eating grapes or strawberries sometimes. There is that one episode of The Simpsons where one of the people from Shelbyville takes a bite out of a lemon. Not the best idea as a lemon is really sour. He did bite it in an asshole way.

Reactions: Baffle

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Assuming single celled organisms do not have souls, and that humans do, given that humans evolved from single celled organisms, at some point humans evolved to have a soul. There should be somewhere on the fossil record where you can say "about this time, we start seeing souls", and also come up with explanations on why it was an advantage to have souls.

In theory, then, if souls have evolved some time ago, then for some creatures they may have been disadvantages, and they have evolved to no longer have them.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Try it with a coconut, that's the real hardman fruit.

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
Tomatoes are technically fruit

First year of arboriculture course taught us the vegetable propaganda network goes far deeper than tomatoes 👀

surprising where dumb supreme court ruling cameos crop up (zero effort pun with zero effort apology)

That said, back in 1893, a case was heard in the Supreme Court that would confuse things mightily. When Manhattan wholesaler, John Nix & Co., was charged an imported vegetable tariff on a shipment of Caribbean tomatoes, he fought the fee since tomatoes were not technically vegetables, and fruit did not bear a similar tarif. Nix lost when the court ruled that people prepared and ate tomatoes like vegetables rather than fruit.

Avocado
Because they’re green, many people mistake avocados for vegetables. Not only are they actually fruit, but they’re specifically berries, due to their fleshy endocarp and single seed.

Beans
Remember that old rhyme that starts with, “Beans, beans, the musical fruit”? We won’t finish it, nor will we comment on the accuracy of the whole rhyme, but we can confirm that the first part, which defines beans as fruit, is true. Beans—kidney beans, lima beans, navy beans, etc.—are technically the seeds that are part of the whole fruit, which includes the pods. The hulls are edible early on, but by the time the beans are ready to harvest, their pods are no longer palatable.

Bell peppers
Bell peppers are just another example of a fruit being treated as a vegetable. But anyone who has ever cut up red, green, yellow, or orange bell peppers knows that they’re full of seeds, so they’re actually fruits. (Of course, they’re sort of sweet anyway, so this isn’t a huge stretch of the imagination.)

Chili peppers
Just because chili peppers have some spice, it doesn’t mean they aren’t fruits, too. Bell peppers and chili peppers are close relatives, grow in the same way, and of course, are both chock full of seeds. And yes, this includes everything from mild banana peppers, to tangy jalapeños, to fiery ghost peppers.

Coconut
It makes sense that a coconut would be a fruit, given that it grows on trees in tropical climates like pineapples or mangoes. However, it’s also a seed, since you can get a coconut to sprout, and as the name suggests, it’s also technically a single-seeded tree nut.

Corn
This is a strange one, as technically you could classify corn as a grain, a vegetable, and a fruit. Its kernels are whole grains that can be milled, but corn is also a low-calorie and low-fat starchy vegetable. However, because corn is a single-seeded product of plant growth, it can also be classified as a fruit.

Cucumbers
In the culinary world, cucumbers are treated as vegetables. However, they are the seed-bearing product of a flowering cucumber plant, which means they are fruits—and that means pickles are fruits, too!

Eggplant
Fleshy exterior? Check. Seeded interior? Check. Eggplants are indeed fruits, even though they are often mistaken for—and treated as—vegetables. In fact, they’re actually another surprise member of the berry family!

Green beans
It doesn’t matter if you call them green beans, string beans, or snap beans—they are fruit! Specifically, they are a “dry fruit,” because when fully mature, the exterior will dry out, crack open, and reveal a mature seed, which can be planted and grown into a new plant (similar to the types of beans we previously discussed). Or in the case of green beans, its pod can be picked immaturely and both the pod and immature seeds (the interior “bean” part of green beans) can be eaten.

Kumquat
A lot of people don’t know what a kumquat is at all, so it’s likely many are unaware it’s a fruit—and a delicious one at that! For the record, kumquats are in the citrus family, which makes sense, as they look like very small misshapen oranges.

Okra
You might have thought okra is a vegetable—or maybe you had no idea what okra was—but it’s actually a fruit. Although okra can be prepared as a vegetable (try this fried okra from Taste of Home) it can also be added to a fruit smoothie.

Olives
Olives look kind of like grapes, which makes sense because both are fruits—but different kinds of fruits. Grapes are berries, but olives are stone fruits (or “drupes”) like peaches, plums, and mangoes. In fact, the closest relative to an olive might be its stone fruit counterpart: the cherry!

Pea pods
Like beans and green beans, pea pods are also fruits. The pods are the vessels that carry the seeds, which are the actual peas!

Persimmons
Unfamiliar with the persimmon? It’s botanically in the berry family, even though it doesn’t look anything like a berry and actually bears a strong resemblance to a tomato. For more on the tomato, keep reading.

Pumpkins
Apple-picking and pumpkin-picking are similar in that both involve the harvesting of fruit. That’s right, jack-o-lanterns are actually made using hollowed-out fruit, which somehow makes them slightly less spooky. (I think it’s because lots of kids fear vegetables from a young age.)

Rambutan
Do you know what’s even more surprising than rambutans being fruit? The fact that they’re edible at all! They look like they’re more likely to eat you, or like something you’d see while scuba diving. But they actually grow on land—on trees in Southeast Asia, to be more precise—and are relatives of the lychee.

Rhubarb (US courts strike again!)
Okay, this is a weird one. Botanically, rhubarb is actually a vegetable. Legally? It’s a fruit, thanks to a 1947 U.S. Customs Court case. An attorney successfully argued that because rhubarb is typically eaten for breakfast and dessert—and not as a side dish with poultry (yes, this is the actual argument)—it should be classified as a fruit. Of course, the attorney’s client had ulterior motives for this classification: they were trying to avoid a 50% duty on vegetables in favor of a 35% duty on fruits.

Squash
Yep, if pumpkins are fruits, that also means all types of squash are fruits, including varieties like acorn, butternut, and yellow squash. Not only do squash contain seeds and grow from flowering plants, but they can also sprout their own flowers—called squash blossoms—that are edible!

Tomato
This seed-bearing food is a fruit, much to the surprise of many. Tomatoes are also in the Solanaceae nightshade family, are a solid source of umami flavor, and contain antioxidants, including lycopene.

Zucchini
Even zucchini is botanically a fruit! Like its squash relatives, zucchini grows from a seed and produces seeds, and thus is a fruit. Look at that: we had surprising fruits throughout the alphabet, from avocado to zucchini.

Though I don't think the population is prepared for the spiciest (lol) of hot revelations yet...

XsjadoBlaydette

May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
So, just recently heard of the profession 'culture critic' and am left wondering why nobody mentioned this was an option in school or anywhere growing up. Cause if I knew I could get paid for saying how and why everyone's doing everything all wrong, well that right there's a real dream job! What's the educational pathway? Where the fuck do i sign? Why am I getting a sense it's not accessible from working class upbringing in any form?

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Why am I getting a sense it's not accessible from working class upbringing in any form?
Likely because the working classes typically don't define a culture. "Culture" tends to suggest a level of refinement that presumes and dismisses the "Morlock" that serve to keep the gears of a civil society turning. As Al Pacino [not so] famously said in Ocean's 13: "I don't want the labor pains; I just want the baby."

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Assuming single celled organisms do not have souls, and that humans do, given that humans evolved from single celled organisms, at some point humans evolved to have a soul. There should be somewhere on the fossil record where you can say "about this time, we start seeing souls", and also come up with explanations on why it was an advantage to have souls.

In theory, then, if souls have evolved some time ago, then for some creatures they may have been disadvantages, and they have evolved to no longer have them.
Probably about the time that we evolved a sense of self. I think that would make the most sense.

Though I don't think the population is prepared for the spiciest (lol) of hot revelations yet...

I always knew the pedantry about going by the scientific definition of fruit was pointless and wouldn't lead anywhere good. It's born of pure sensationalism. Everybody needs to forget about what botanists term things, in the kitchen I'd be more interested in how a nutritionist defines fruit and vegetable.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Ok, digital cameras are so much better than using film like in the old days.

But, in theory, if you ever suspected something was emitting radiation, you could leave film near it and see if it got ruined. That minor plot point in Earthfasts (or at least the TV version, never read the book) would work today.

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
Ok, digital cameras are so much better than using film like in the old days.

But, in theory, if you ever suspected something was emitting radiation, you could leave film near it and see if it got ruined. That minor plot point in Earthfasts (or at least the TV version, never read the book) would work today.
A similar plot point is used in an episode of Ghost in the Shell: Second Gig. A group of destitute characters are offered work in an abandoned facility that is secretly a still semi-operational nuclear power plant. One of them works out the truth and starts carrying a piece of film to use as a make-shift radiation detector.

Despite GitS taking place in the future, Japan's fascination with mixing old traditions and new technologies meant the film piece only briefly raises an eyebrow.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
First year of arboriculture course taught us the vegetable propaganda network goes far deeper than tomatoes 👀

surprising where dumb supreme court ruling cameos crop up (zero effort pun with zero effort apology)

Intelligent people will tell you tomato is a fruit. Wise people will understand it has no place in a fruit salad.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
What percentage of water on this planet has previously been piss? Is all water piss?
Hmmm. You'd first have to define piss, cause you've got creatures with odd digestive processes, both now and in the past.

Though, you'd occasionally get extra-terrestrial water that would not have been close to anything living, but that'd be rare.

XsjadoBlaydette

May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
Oh so everyone's always nice n reassuring to complete strangers taking their untrained support hamsters wherever they want, but as soon as i try going somewhere with my support knife it's a whole different story. They don't know the psychological history of those hamsters, where they been nor what crazy new designer research drugs they're slamming up those cute widdle snouts behind closed doors. This knife don't even need sustenance! apart from that minor old blood addiction rehab promised to keep off record

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
If you use a hose to siphon fuel into your car from the Dragula, does your car become a vampire?

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
If masturbating gives you hairy palms, would giving blowjobs help you grow a better beard and stache?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
If masturbating gives you hairy palms, would giving blowjobs help you grow a better beard and stache?
I think it'd give you a hairy tongue, and nobody wants that (not that hairy palms are desirable by comparison.)

Also, use your shower time to think of less disturbing things. The irony of you getting that filthy while cleaning up is not lost on me.

Reactions: Chimpzy