Shower Thoughts MK2

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
In the same vein, why is it you can't really tickle yourself, but if someone else does it, you squirm and squeal like a 3 year old girl?

My theory is you are getting a feedback loop from both sides of the contact, when you try and tickle yourself.

Hand/Fingers: Brain, we are proceeding to tickle the armpit.
Brain: Roger Roger
Armpit: Brain, we are receiving tickle sensations from the fingers.
Brain: Roger Roger, that checks out, carry on as normal.
Armpit/Fingers: Roger Roger.

But the other way.

Armpit: Brain we are being tickled by an outside source.
Brain: BBBBBWHAHAAHAHAHA STOP STOOOOP!!! OH GOD I'M GOING TO PEE!! STOP IT....*SQUEAK AND SQUEAL AND SQUIRM*
Armpit: .....ok I'll uh....I'll check back later I guess.
This got me wondering if there's some way you can tickle yourself, and turns out it is possible, if you're a schizophrenic.

Reactions: happyninja42

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Normally their campaigns are just various single matches with a random set up unconnected from each other, you're telling me there's a plot in this one and its narrated by Jen from The IT Crowd?

But yes! She voices introductions to most of the other game options too. Though the story is about what anyone could expect from a budget worms game. Whimsical contrivance for whimsical violence.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
In the same vein, why is it you can't really tickle yourself, but if someone else does it, you squirm and squeal like a 3 year old girl?

My theory is you are getting a feedback loop from both sides of the contact, when you try and tickle yourself.

Hand/Fingers: Brain, we are proceeding to tickle the armpit.
Brain: Roger Roger
Armpit: Brain, we are receiving tickle sensations from the fingers.
Brain: Roger Roger, that checks out, carry on as normal.
Armpit/Fingers: Roger Roger.

But the other way.

Armpit: Brain we are being tickled by an outside source.
Brain: BBBBBWHAHAAHAHAHA STOP STOOOOP!!! OH GOD I'M GOING TO PEE!! STOP IT....*SQUEAK AND SQUEAL AND SQUIRM*
Armpit: .....ok I'll uh....I'll check back later I guess.
I forgot where I read this, but the "tickle" response is supposedly a response to threats to vulnerable parts of the body, i.e.: under arms, bottoms of feet, ribs, etc., and why you instinctively squirm to protect yourself. You can't tickle yourself because you're in control of the interaction versus an outside source where you can't determine where, how long, how hard you're being tickled, similar to how you can't scare yourself.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I forgot where I read this, but the "tickle" response is supposedly a response to threats to vulnerable parts of the body, i.e.: under arms, bottoms of feet, ribs, etc., and why you instinctively squirm to protect yourself. You can't tickle yourself because you're in control of the interaction versus an outside source where you can't determine where, how long, how hard you're being tickled, similar to how you can't scare yourself.
Right, that's basically what I said. The closed loop thing

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I don't know what's going on with me, but lately I can only sleep once every 2 days and it's really tiring.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I don't know what's going on with me, but lately I can only sleep once every 2 days and it's really tiring.
I don't know if you're having the same problem as me but try taking naps. I was having a problem of getting enough sleep for a while and a solution was that I started taking naps when I felt really tired rather than making myself stay up till a certain time to keep a sleep schedule. If you feel like you can sleep at some point while not at work then take the opportunity.

Kae

Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I don't know if you're having the same problem as me but try taking naps. I was having a problem of getting enough sleep for a while and a solution was that I started taking naps when I felt really tired rather than making myself stay up till a certain time to keep a sleep schedule. If you feel like you can sleep at some point while not at work then take the opportunity.
I try, but there's the problem of once I'm finally asleep nothing wakes me up, so I necessarily have to try to sleep as far apart from work as possible so I don't oversleep, because alarms do nothing at all, which is basically the same thing, so there's no time for napping other than like Lunch hour and I'd probably oversleep, quite a conundrum.

Since this has been going on for roughly 3 weeks my guess is I should probably go to the doctor, though I'll admit I don't want to do that, since I don't like taking drugs unless absolutely necessary.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I try, but there's the problem of once I'm finally asleep nothing wakes me up, so I necessarily have to try to sleep as far apart from work as possible so I don't oversleep, because alarms do nothing at all, which is basically the same thing, so there's no time for napping other than like Lunch hour and I'd probably oversleep, quite a conundrum.

Since this has been going on for roughly 3 weeks my guess is I should probably go to the doctor, though I'll admit I don't want to do that, since I don't like taking drugs unless absolutely necessary.
Has there been a change in what you're eating or drinking in that time? Or maybe (And you don't have to talk about it of course) something's bugging you in your life right now?

Kae

Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Has there been a change in what you're eating or drinking in that time? Or maybe (And you don't have to talk about it of course) something's bugging you in your life right now?
Diet? If anything it should be better than usual since I've been cooking more and I've gone fairly heavy on vegetables, though I still consume a lot of protein, and that changed a few months back not recently.

Other than that, well, the year has been very eventful so far, so it would be disingenuous to call it ordinary, but nothing of note has happened recently, though I've been told that I always seem paranoid and that lately I am more paranoid than usual, which is something I wasn't actually aware of, I mean I don't think I'm paranoid at all but the 5 people that know me the best all agreed on this so there's no point in arguing, I must be wrong.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Sometimes it feels like Brits go out of their way to differentiate their English from American English. Watching Formula 1 racing, and hearing them constantly referencing the "weekend" as opposed to the "weekend" drives me nuts. Either way, Bottas FTW!!

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
They foisted this cockamamie language on us, and then they get all huffy when we go and improve it!
Right?!? #MakeEnglishGreatAgain

Still, I'm seriously jealous of their Cockney rhyming slang; I appreciate that sort of complete nonsense and wish I was on the inside on that one.

Kae

Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I finally was sleep deprived enough that I fell asleep at work and it was for 2 whole hours, I have no idea how but nobody noticed it happened, I feel like I just dodged a bullet.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
They laughed when I said I wanted to start a meat-instrument band called the Cronenburgers. They mocked and said it was nothing more than fever nightmare no-one could pull and off no-one else would want to pay to see

Well who's laughing now? Not me cos I'm clinically miserable, but hopefully not them too!

The hardest sell will still be the saxophone player. That will require more than the average plying of drinks and class A drugs to reach an acceptably meaty agreement.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
It's less the fact that 'history repeats itself' and more that 'nothing really has changed'.

Also, on the subject of shows with awful protagonists, this is why It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is so fun to me, in that, yes they are truly awful and dispicable people, but the show is totally in on it and the characters are usually too vain or stupid (or a combination) that their schemes generally backfire back at them.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Also, on the subject of shows with awful protagonists, this is why It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is so fun to me, in that, yes they are truly awful and dispicable people, but the show is totally in on it and the characters are usually too vain or stupid (or a combination) that their schemes generally backfire back at them.
Agreed. Always Sunny is probably my favorite show of all time for its pure absurdity. A lot of people complain that it's a case study in Flanderization (i.e.: Charlie devolving from a lovable, low-guy on the totem pole in early seasons to borderline mentally retarded in later ones,) but I'd argue that they (the show) know this, and that self-awareness is what gives the characters their appeal and freedom to do pretty much anything for a punchline with abandon. Until another show comes along that dares to have leading characters willfully getting addicted to crack for government benefits, fakes an infant's death using a dog carcass or shows a father waterboarding his own daughter in a urinal, Always Sunny is going to be hard to top.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
It's less the fact that 'history repeats itself' and more that 'nothing really has changed'.
My favorite example is the graffiti found on the walls of Pompeii, preserved in volcanic ash for 2000 years.

"Gaius' mom fucks with my dog"

From Bar/Brothel of Innulus and Papilio: "Weep, you girls. My penis has given you up. Now it penetrates men's behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity!"

House of the Citharist, below a drawing of a man with a large nose: "Amplicatus, I know that Icarus is buggering you. Salvius wrote this."

House of Cuspius Pansa: "The finances officer of the emperor Nero says this food is poison" (a 2000 year old restaurant critic)

Gladiator barracks: "Floronius, privileged soldier of the 7th legion, was here. The women did not know of his presence. Only six women came to know, too few for such a stallion."

Herculaneum bar, next to a drawing of a phallus: "Handle with care"

House of the Centenary; in the latrine near the front door: "Secundus defecated here" three time on one wall"

Mister Mumbler

Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
My favorite example is the graffiti found on the walls of Pompeii, preserved in volcanic ash for 2000 years.

From Bar/Brothel of Innulus and Papilio: "Weep, you girls. My penis has given you up. Now it penetrates men's behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity!"

House of the Citharist, below a drawing of a man with a large nose: "Amplicatus, I know that Icarus is buggering you. Salvius wrote this."

House of Cuspius Pansa: "The finances officer of the emperor Nero says this food is poison" (a 2000 year old restaurant critic)

Gladiator barracks: "Floronius, privileged soldier of the 7th legion, was here. The women did not know of his presence. Only six women came to know, too few for such a stallion."

House of the Centenary; in the latrine near the front door: "Secundus defecated here" three time on one wall"
Oh my god, that has made my fucking week. But the real question is if there was any graffiti saying "Romans go home".

Palindromemordnilap

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 12, 2020
Country
United Kingdom

There is some graffiti in the Hagia Sophia written in Norse runes. The most clear one translates as "Halfdan was here."

Oh my god, that has made my fucking week. But the real question is if there was any graffiti saying "Romans go home".
Or even better "People called Romanes they go the house"

Mister Mumbler

Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Less a thought and more a "FUCKFUCKFUCKSCORPIONFUCKFUCKSHIT" type deal. Three days, two different fucking Bark scorpions in my bedroom, one that was sitting on the front of the dog tongue of my shoes, and this latest one that was just chilling in the middle of my floor (that I had just been walking around on no less) and with my dog right next to me I almost stepped on the fucker. Literally jumped and yelled in fright. Ugh, Arizona sure has fun wildlife...

EDIT: Actual shower thought, a UV nightlight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kae