Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
NuclearKangaroo said:
erttheking said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
No, I really don't. Yeah yeah I've been though this song and dance before. But Valkyria Chronicals is different form WWII in the same way that a car with a fresh coat of paint is different to a car of the same make that mysteriously went missing recently.

That would be a relevant comparison if middle age JRPGs had paper thin rip offs of the Hundred Years War. They don't, so it isn't. You can't say I'm in the wrong for drawing comparisons to the actual WWII, the game is the one who keeps bringing them up with the grace of a runaway ice cream truck!

No it isn't. I find Valkyria Chronicles simply to be a lousy game. It's cliche, (Alicia is frankly a shining example of a trope I hate in storytelling, when a person's role in the plot directly contradicts their character. She's supposed to be a veteran soldier and a no nonsense one at that, yet she's junior to the college idiot who's been in the army for three days. Because she isn't the main character. Also she gets hurt and has to be tended to by him. Because she's the love interest. This is not how human beings act) the gameplay is iffy (Enemy units should not be allowed to shoot at me when its not their turn in a turn based game. Frankly I prefer Fire Emblem or XCOM to the gameplay here) and it's story is a major groan fest. If you're going to be including fucking concentration camps then I'm going to be expecting that it's coming from a game that can actually take itself seriously and not treat me like I'm ten years old. Valkyria Chronicles fails on both fronts.
dude you are so wrong you dont even know

alicia is not a veteran soldier, SHE IS A BAKER DRAFTED INTO THE WAR, Welkin? a university studen, etc ,etc. most of the people in your squad have little to no military experience, because they are a milita and many of them are conscripts, some are well below 18 years old

VC has actually very few parallels to WW2 besides the setting, both mayor factions in the war are shown to be roughly equally bad, the jews-but-not-quite actually did commit some attrocities in the past, tough obviously this shouldnt be blamed to the newer generations

please tell me what part of the concentration camp wasnt handled well, use spoilers of course, no need to spoil the game for everyone else
Oh I am? Please tell me the correct opinion to think.

She's got more experience under her belt than Welkin. Yet somehow that dunderhead got promoted above her. Because main character. Guess the key to military promotion is to keep tanks in your garage. Also the peace loving guy who loves nature (Something he refuses to shut up about) keeps a tank in his garage. And he constantly talks about how much he loves nature while bulldozing a tank through enemy camps right after he just got out of a concentration camp. These characters do not feel like people. They're caricatures.

They just sketched Europe and had two major factions go at each other are approximately the same time as the actual WW II happened and the major bad guys just so happen to have similar oversized tank designs as the Nazis and just so happen to have a minority that they round up and put into concentration camps. Yup, no similarities here. And it begs the question. If they didn't want people to compare it to WW II, why did they have so many blatant similarities?

Any game that wants me to take it seriously cannot have a concentration camp and then a person's racism towards the people in that camp being thrown into doubt because "You like music don't you? Well if you hated one song you wouldn't hate all songs. Why would people be any different." And that person's racism is honestly thrown into question. RACISM IS NOT THAT EASY TO GET RID OF! The way it just oversimplifies racism into something that can be gotten rid off by an explanation I would expect from Sesame Street, in addition to making racism something that people just happen to be without exploring the origins of said racism (All the bad guys are racist because OF COURSE THEY ARE!). It's underwhelming on so many levels, and just won't drop the cutesy bullshit for five seconds.

It really says a lot when I think Wolfenstein did a better job of handling concentration camps than Valkyria Chronicals. Despite the fact it's about a man who kills Nazi doom robots by blasting them in the face with dual automatic shotguns, the concentration camp level was a brutal, unflinching look into the living hell that concentration camps really were. Valkyria Chronicles just didn't have the guts to show how really bad the camps were. We got glimpses of it, but not the true horrors of it. Just people lying around in shitty living conditions looking sick. And yes that happened, but that's only the tip of the iceberg. If it didn't have the guts to see things through to the end, they shouldn't have fucking bothered.

You know your attempts to convince me that this game doesn't suck aren't working. It's just getting me in a bad mood and making me hate the game even more. That tends to happen when you have to defend your opinion from six different people. And you're told you're "wrong". Because I started off just thinking "Meh, not a fan". Now I'm at "God I hate this piece of shit."

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Kaimax said:
erttheking said:
the gameplay is iffy (Enemy units should not be allowed to shoot at me when its not their turn in a turn based game.
Uhh, you know that you can do the exact same thing on the enemies turn. Did you actually play the game?
(Alicia is not a veteran soldier, She was a baker)
Yeah, and it happens around one time for every ten times it happens for me. (That train. Fuck fuck, FUCK that train) Really I'd rather the mechanic was just ripped out of the game entirely.

More experience than the guy who was promoted above her for some unfathomable reason.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Rozalia1 said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
so you wont include trails in the sky, but you will include a remake of FFX? wonderful, simply wonderful, no bias there

oh and you will also include a game that was released in japan in 2013, in america in 2013, but since its european launch was in 2014 it totally counts right?
I'll address that below, all I'll say here is that a HD version is not discounted.

I'm European... so your point?
so if you make a list of JRPGs released on 2013 and 2014, you are going to include that game twice?

when you said "im going to include releases in the west" you actually meant YOUR west?

Rozalia1 said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
considering thats the very first thing i said after i posted those numbers and youve contantly tried to inflate your numbers in any way posible while at the same time refusing to count many PC JRPGs
I don't need to inflate, the point is clear.
so thats why you included games released years ago, non-localized games, and failed to account numerous PC releases

Rozalia1 said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
it was released on PC in 2006... BUT NEVER LOCALIZED

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Heroes:_Trails_in_the_Sky

it never left asia until 2014

again, bias
First for the second time calm yourself down, I don't bloody need all caps shouted at me.
I own up to my mistakes as I did in an above post, and I have no problem owning up again. I missed that, I saw "digital distribution 2014" but I saw that as just it coming to Steam, missed the whole not coming to the west until that date.

However you have yet to do so even though I pointed it out. Trails in the Sky is not an exclusive in anyway, Half-minute Hero 2 is if I let you have it, but Trails in the Sky does not feature in such talk.
im not addressing exclusives when you yourself name numerous multiplat titles

Rozalia1 said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
and FF13-2 releases early next month, your point?
So it is, irrelevant.
so let me see

"im only counting games already released"

except you dont

"im only counting released and yet to be released games"

except you dont

FF13-2 is less than a month away and you wont include it just to decrease PC numbers, while at the same time you will include persona Q

bias

Rozalia1 said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
no, PC gets many JRPG releases and you are supposed to believe PC gets many JRPG releases, is as simple as that, im not talking about exclusives, and well whats the point of talking about exclusives if tons of games in your list are avaliable in more than 1 system (bias again) and many former exclusives eventually end up on PC or some other platform, such as mind zero

like i said before, everybody knows you for some inexplicable reason hate PC, you always engage in fights over PC with other users, ive been a member for many months and i always see you doing the exact same thing
Bias? They are exclusives buddy as long as they remain on the holdings of the same holder. The games I posted on more than one platform are on the holders other properties, not on competitors.
"i only name exclusives"

"under this very specific terms"

and even then its bullshit because you included games that had 3DS/VITA releases or VITA/PC releases

also just out of curiosity, who IS the holder of PC? is it Valve? CDProject? Riot? Blizzard? EA?

Rozalia1 said:
As for JRPG releases have you yet to get the point? There is a reason I don't care how many you bring up, your claim is that new JRPGs are all going to pop onto the PC platform.
What did I post? New JRPGs which are exclusives, admittedly some enhanced ports are among their number and you may want to discount that (whatever irrelevant). Yours?

Old.

Valkyria Chronicles
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy 3
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

Late port, "mainstream" as a JRPG gets.

Final Fantasy 13

New (if I am charitable and let you have it)

Half-Minute Hero: The Second Coming
"i only posts new games!..."

"... and re-releases, but only MY re-releases count, yours dont!"

yeah yeah i mean, who cares if VC now supports 1080p and beyond resolutions and runs at 60 FPS, who cares if the same applies to tits, old, old, old, old

Rozalia1 said:
Where are the new games? Where are the Atelier Escha & Logys? The Natural Doctrines? Not on PC is where, not on Xbox either for that matter.
What was your response to all that again? Oh yes, all met with a critical reception, aka IGN called them a weird game for weirdos (I thought the mainstream reviewers didn't matter? I suppose they do if they support you I guess). Newsflash, unless the game in question becomes an internet darling all JRPGs are going to be seen as crap by the majority of reviewers and people. However you have at least admitted to not following JRPGs so perhaps you'd not know that.

So you're going to continue with that? Poor show.
they are old and therefore they stop being JRPGs? good to know, specially when some of them saw either no or limited releases on the west

Rozalia1 said:
Let me share with you a little secret. Most users on here are PC guys so if I get into an arguement it will most likely be with one of them. The same goes for you, and even them. So if that makes me a PC hater for arguing with them, then you and they themselves hate PC too.

As for the "feuds". Emulation, shilling, hypocrisy, art, and "dirtsheet news" were the notable things I've had feuds over.
Attacking me with the PC hater label because I know what the laws say on Emulation, or I don't at the drop of a hat believe dirtsheet news from PCmasterace of all bloody places is not wise thing to do... in fact its most unwise as being Multiplatform all such little barbs have simply no effect.
All they do is paint you in a very unflattering light. I could shout in all caps and call you a hater too you know, but I don't...why do you think I don't do that?
so its everyone else's fault?

you are bieased, in this very same discussion you have continuously failed to hold PC at the same standard as other platforms

you compile a list of JRPGs released accross many platforms combined agaisnt the ones released on PC alone

you belittle or reject PC re-releases while at the same time including re-releases on your own list of JRPGs

you argue to only count exclusives, despite the fact many games on your list are not exclusives

you include games not released this year on your console JRPG list

you include unreleased games on your console list but fail to do the same for PC, despite both games being less than a month away from release

tell me, are we counting:

JRPGs released on each platform this year

or are we counting:

new exclusive and platform holder exclusive JRPGs released on both PC and all platforms combined this year or yet to be released this month

because thats some awfully specific wording

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
erttheking said:
NuclearKangaroo said:
Snip....[Alica]'s supposed to be a veteran soldier and a no nonsense one at that, yet she's junior to the college idiot who's been in the army for three days.
I agree with much of your point about alicia, but I wanted to go on a little rant about this bit....

Hate to tell you this, but this part is actually fairly realistic. It sounded like Welkin actually had a college degree, which, at least in the US military, would make him an officer candidate.

And anyone whose served in the military will tell you, it's pretty easy to find an officer who has their degree, a couple weeks of officers school to get their commission, and quite a few years less experience then most of the people they are in charge of. Most of them are competent at their job(because if nothing else, they listen to the people around them who know what to do), but every so often there's the officer who everyone wonders just how they even made it through officer school.

And notice most of the rest of the squad didn't respect welkin at all at first. It wasn't until he pulled that crazy underwater tank stunt and it worked that they started to listen to him.

Add to that, the in game encyclopedia specifically mentions that Gallian colleges have military classes, so welkin already having some idea how to do military stuff worked for me.

Actually, I found it a little more coincidental that Isara not only had taken tank repair/operator classes, but also happened to have a working, prototype battle tank in the barn for just such an occasion. Oh, it's justified by dialogue and the encyclopedia, it just seemed a little convenient. That and instead of confiscating the tank, the Gallian military just let him keep it(and kept using their own crappy light tanks).

The game gets away with a lot by justifying the gallian universal military training and conscription policy, but every so often they misstep.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
erttheking said:
(All the bad guys are racist because OF COURSE THEY ARE!).
From what I remember the mooks certainly are, but not so much the main antagonists. Selvaria and Jaeger don't really address any such matter as far as I remember, and Maximilian is very much equal opportunity, and showed no problems with marrying a Jew of the setting when the princess he intended to marry turned out to be one. Gregor seems to be the only one as he looks the most Nazi of the bunch and he works Jews to death in his camps.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Rozalia1 said:
erttheking said:
(All the bad guys are racist because OF COURSE THEY ARE!).
From what I remember the mooks certainly are, but not so much the main antagonists. Selvaria and Jaeger don't really address any such matter as far as I remember, and Maximilian is very much equal opportunity, and showed no problems with marrying a Jew of the setting when the princess he intended to marry turned out to be one. Gregor seems to be the only one as he looks the most Nazi of the bunch and he works Jews to death in his camps.
True. Still when racism is brought in it's basically short hand for "This person is completely and utterly evil! You don't need to feel guilty about killing them!" Another gross oversimplification of the war this game rips off.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
erttheking said:
More experience than the guy who was promoted above her for some unfathomable reason.
Welkin was promoted above her because he enrolled in the officer program during his conscription training time, and she didn't, that's why she holds an enlisted man rank (sergeant) and he holds a commissioned rank. Given welkin's personality, it can safely be assumed that he was accepted into the officer program more because of who his father was, than because of any personal interest in it, but we don't learn that much about the circumstances behind their ranks.

*has absorbed entirely too much VC lore over the years*

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
balladbird said:
erttheking said:
Welkin was promoted above her because he enrolled in the officer program during his conscription training time, and she didn't, that's why she holds an enlisted man rank (sergeant) and he holds a commissioned rank. Given welkin's personality, it can safely be assumed that he was accepted into the officer program more because of who his father was, than because of any personal interest in it, but we don't learn that much about the circumstances behind their ranks.

So I guess this is one of those things like Mass Effect where the lore given in the codex doesn't always match up with what happens in the games?

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
erttheking said:
balladbird said:
erttheking said:

So I guess this is one of those things like Mass Effect where the lore given in the codex doesn't always match up with what happens in the games?
Does it not match up with what happened in the game? I admit it's been a few years since I last played through VC1, but I thought Varrot made mention of Welkin's officer training when she told him he'd be in charge of squad 7. I could be mistaken, though, it's not a plot point I've put a great deal of thought into.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
balladbird said:
erttheking said:
balladbird said:
erttheking said:

Does it not match up with what happened in the game? I admit it's been a few years since I last played through VC1, but I thought Varrot made mention of Welkin's officer training when she told him he'd be in charge of squad 7. I could be mistaken, though, it's not a plot point I've put a great deal of thought into.
Eh. I can't remember that either to be honest. Not a huge fan of it, mainly because I don't like it when stories go "This person is qualified for this because of this thing that happened off screen." Sometimes I let it slide, but only when it matches up with the person's character. Welkin just doesn't strike me as leader material. Or someone who would enroll in officer candidate school willingly.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
erttheking said:
Yeah, and it happens around one time for every ten times it happens for me. (That train. Fuck fuck, FUCK that train) Really I'd rather the mechanic was just ripped out of the game entirely.
Judging from your comment it sounds that "You just suck at the game". "Only happens 1 out of ten", that means you have bad positioning, because it's impossible to not happen, as Defensive Firing is always on, but will only be done if it's within the LoS of a Scout/Trooper/Engineer/Tank with a Machine Gun.

And the Train mission (Liberation of Fouzen Part 2) is one of those missions (Most of the missions in VC actually) that have an easy exploit by just using 2 Scouts and orders from Welkin. One Video in YT finished it in 2 players Turns

This is one of the real complaints of VC 1. Scouts were very OP in the first, virtually nothing can stop them running to a goal point after getting an Order from Welkin. Made worst (OP) by Alicia's Potential.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
erttheking said:
Eh. I can't remember that either to be honest. Not a huge fan of it, mainly because I don't like it when stories go "This person is qualified for this because of this thing that happened off screen." Sometimes I let it slide, but only when it matches up with the person's character. Welkin just doesn't strike me as leader material. Or someone who would enroll in officer candidate school willingly.
Well, Gallia is stated to have a system of universal conscription in place, where all citizens are required to undergo so much military training when they reach a certain age. If you have to train for the military anyway, it does make sense to train to be an officer, if the option is available. *shrug*

Won't deny that appealing to unseen events is lazy storytelling, though. "Show, don't tell" is pretty important in a visual medium.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Kaimax said:
erttheking said:
Judging from your comment it sounds that "You just suck at the game". "Only happens 1 out of ten", that means you have bad positioning, because it's impossible to not happen, as Defensive Firing is always on, but will only be done if it's within the LoS of a Scout/Trooper/Engineer/Tank with a Machine Gun.

And the Train mission (Liberation of Fouzen Part 2) is one of those missions (Most of the missions in VC actually) that have an easy exploit by just using 2 Scouts and orders from Welkin. One Video in YT finished it in 2 players Turns

This is one of the real complaints of VC 1. Scouts were very OP in the first, virtually nothing can stop them running to a goal point after getting an Order from Welkin. Made worst (OP) by Alicia's Potential.
I just suck...ugh. Yeah it happens with infantry, those little guys that pose no threat. As opposed to the Lancers, the guys that do. And even then, I just don't like the autofire mechanic. I much prefer something akin to X-COM's overwatch.

You know, I don't consider missions that can be beaten in a turn or two much better than one that's nearly impossible to beat. Both hint that the game is poorly balanced.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
erttheking said:
Oh I am? Please tell me the correct opinion to think.

She's got more experience under her belt than Welkin. Yet somehow that dunderhead got promoted above her. Because main character. Guess the key to military promotion is to keep tanks in your garage. Also the peace loving guy who loves nature (Something he refuses to shut up about) keeps a tank in his garage. And he constantly talks about how much he loves nature while bulldozing a tank through enemy camps right after he just got out of a concentration camp. These characters do not feel like people. They're caricatures.
its not an opinion, you are factually wrong

what do you call more experience? a few extra days holding a rifle? because thats all she had

at the start of the game she had rougly the same level of military training as welkin, she DIDNT have previous combat experience and we know this because the war had just started and she was assigned to Bruhl's local defense force, she wasnt on the front

like Dalisclock said Welkin had a degree or atleast higher education thats why he was promoted, not to mention his actions allowed the evacuation of Bruhl, if it wasnt for Welkin's tank the town's gate wouldnt have lasted

as for Welkin talking about nature, sure it can get grating, that doesnt mean he didnt take the liberation of the camp with the level of seriousness required

erttheking said:
They just sketched Europe and had two major factions go at each other are approximately the same time as the actual WW II happened and the major bad guys just so happen to have similar oversized tank designs as the Nazis and just so happen to have a minority that they round up and put into concentration camps. Yup, no similarities here. And it begs the question. If they didn't want people to compare it to WW II, why did they have so many blatant similarities?
Gallian Eldenweiss

German King Tiger Tank

Imperial Medium Tank

Soviet T28 Medium Tank

Imperial Heavy Tank

French B1 bis Heavy Tank

if anything gallian tanks have more in common with german tanks meanwhile imperial tanks share many features early allied tanks had

its also made awfully clear the drasecs are discrimnated EVERYWHERE not just in the empire

erttheking said:
Any game that wants me to take it seriously cannot have a concentration camp and then a person's racism towards the people in that camp being thrown into doubt because "You like music don't you? Well if you hated one song you wouldn't hate all songs. Why would people be any different." And that person's racism is honestly thrown into question. RACISM IS NOT THAT EASY TO GET RID OF! The way it just oversimplifies racism into something that can be gotten rid off by an explanation I would expect from Sesame Street, in addition to making racism something that people just happen to be without exploring the origins of said racism (All the bad guys are racist because OF COURSE THEY ARE!). It's underwhelming on so many levels, and just won't drop the cutesy bullshit for five seconds.
are you going to ignore all the other instances in which rosie questioned her own discrimination towards isara?

also the Dracsen calamity is explained time and time again, the Dracsen tried to take over europa, they were beaten back by the valkyrur and as punishment they have been discrimnated agaisnt for their actions ever since, and again, THE EMPIRE ARENT THE ONLY RACIST ONES, in fact many squad members on your team have the "Dracsen Hater" potential, which is a debuff that applies to them whenever they get close to an allied Dracsen

as for being the bad guys, theres one scene in the game that shows empathy accross both sides of the conflict, both imperial and gallian soldiers are just normal people being dragged into this conflict

erttheking said:
It really says a lot when I think Wolfenstein did a better job of handling concentration camps than Valkyria Chronicals. Despite the fact it's about a man who kills Nazi doom robots by blasting them in the face with dual automatic shotguns, the concentration camp level was a brutal, unflinching look into the living hell that concentration camps really were. Valkyria Chronicles just didn't have the guts to show how really bad the camps were. We got glimpses of it, but not the true horrors of it. Just people lying around in shitty living conditions looking sick. And yes that happened, but that's only the tip of the iceberg. If it didn't have the guts to see things through to the end, they shouldn't have fucking bothered.
ok let me make this wild assumption, Valkyria Chronicles takes place in a fictitious world, the game has no intention to perfectly recreate WW2, therefore the devs arent forced to portray excessively brutal concentration camps

you keep thinking the game is about WW2, when its clearly not about WW2, i mean didnt the freakin' super saiyans convince you of that?

erttheking said:
You know your attempts to convince me that this game doesn't suck aren't working. It's just getting me in a bad mood and making me hate the game even more. That tends to happen when you have to defend your opinion from six different people. And you're told you're "wrong". Because I started off just thinking "Meh, not a fan". Now I'm at "God I hate this piece of shit."
but look, i just want you to listen, you are factually wrong, the game is not WW2, alicia is not a veteran, the empire and the federation arent much different, everyone discriminates the dracsen

first understand this, then try to look ad the game having internalized these facts, and if you still dont like it, fine

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
erttheking said:
You know, I don't consider missions that can be beaten in a turn or two much better than one that's nearly impossible to beat. Both hint that the game is poorly balanced.
Well, no one is disagreeing with you there, as it was a legit complaint for VC1, which would be fixed in VC 2 and VC 3, where they implement multiple area maps making the "Scout Rush" Ineffective, because moving unit to another part of the map ends the turn of that unit.

Speaking of war portraying, VC more closely resembles WW 1, because of the Battle at Naggiar Plains, with it's trenches.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
NuclearKangaroo said:
so if you make a list of JRPGs released on 2013 and 2014, you are going to include that game twice?

when you said "im going to include releases in the west" you actually meant YOUR west?
What is that supposed to mean? YOUR west? Bloody hell.

NuclearKangaroo said:
so thats why you included games released years ago, non-localized games, and failed to account numerous PC releases
I couldn't find a complete list so had to compile it from several, and than checking the names on Wiki. Errors happened which I had no problem admitting to, you've admitted to none of yours.

NuclearKangaroo said:
im not addressing exclusives when you yourself name numerous multiplat titles
They are exclusives to the holders (Sony/Nintendo).

NuclearKangaroo said:
so let me see

"im only counting games already released"

except you dont

"im only counting released and yet to be released games"

except you dont

FF13-2 is less than a month away and you wont include it just to decrease PC numbers, while at the same time you will include persona Q

bias
What did I say? "So it does". Your translation of that is hilarious.
A simple mistake with the dates being so close that I've owned up to, what does that prove?

NuclearKangaroo said:
"i only posts new games!..."

"... and re-releases, but only MY re-releases count, yours dont!"

yeah yeah i mean, who cares if VC now supports 1080p and beyond resolutions and runs at 60 FPS, who cares if the same applies to tits, old, old, old, old
... ... ... Find me where I discounted VC. The original post that I edited because I forgot to include it originally? So? I corrected myself and had no problem including it, yet you're making out that I discounted it... poor show.

NuclearKangaroo said:
they are old and therefore they stop being JRPGs? good to know, specially when some of them saw either no or limited releases on the west
New JRPGs aren't coming to PC by the "truckloads", that was my disagreement towards what you said. You have never countered that point. You can bring up as many FF3s as you like, it'll do nothing.

Which ones on the PC list had limited to no releases in the west? Hero 2 from the looks of it. Trails you made a blunder on, a blunder you've yet to own up to even though I've put it in front of you many times now.
Funny how I'm biased and unreasonable when I own up to my mistakes while you don't.

NuclearKangaroo said:
so its everyone else's fault?

you are bieased, in this very same discussion you have continuously failed to hold PC at the same standard as other platforms

you compile a list of JRPGs released accross many platforms combined agaisnt the ones released on PC alone

you belittle or reject PC re-releases while at the same time including re-releases on your own list of JRPGs

you argue to only count exclusives, despite the fact many games on your list are not exclusives

you include games not released this year on your console JRPG list

you include unreleased games on your console list but fail to do the same for PC, despite both games being less than a month away from release

tell me, are we counting:

JRPGs released on each platform this year

or are we counting:

new exclusive and platform holder exclusive JRPGs released on both PC and all platforms combined this year or yet to be released this month

because thats some awfully specific wording
Actually I've continually admitted my mistakes while you haven't, and I was charitable enough to let you have Hero 2. Still I thank you because the bullet "You never admit to mistakes" is one I've had used on me a couple of times now (which I had no actual evidence besides my word to counter), and this thread is very much upping my defense on that.

They were released this year as we aren't including JP releases, and hey if you want to than whatever I'll not mind. I'd have to discount a lot of games on the list, but I'd have an avalanche of other titles so pick your poison.
Not to mention that if we go by orginal releases than most of your PC list would be immediately gone also... so if you want to shoot me in the knee its fine, because doing so blows off your entire leg.

erttheking said:
True. Still when racism is brought in it's basically short hand for "This person is completely and utterly evil! You don't need to feel guilty about killing them!" Another gross oversimplification of the war this game rips off.
The sequel is even worse in that regard.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
NuclearKangaroo said:
Few more days than the guy who got promoted to Lieutenant had. But then again, you're right. Welkin getting an officer's position and Alicia a NCO's position both make no sense. Thank you for pointing out another plot hole for me.

Yeah, because knowing about nature is so useful when it comes to frontline tactics. I have a higher education, and if the US suddenly went to war and I got an officer's commission thrown at me, I'd ask the person who did it what the Hell they were smoking. And how does having a tank (That is thirty years old yet still more advanced than half of the modern tanks for some goddamn reason) in your garage make you a good officer? That's not awarding competence, it's awarding glory. It's like going "You sniped a high ranking enemy officer, you're a Lieutenant now!"

You're gonna have to forgive me on that one, but when the game is more focused on trying to show me what a tree huger he is, no matter the circumstances, I'm not gonna be able to take a single goddamn thing he does seriously.

I was specifically talking about the giant tank that's a pain to kill that you fight in chapter 7. That's got German Wunderwaffe written all over it.

I know the empire aren't the only racist ones. Ok, I'll give you the fact that there is a historical reason for it, but the exploration of the racism just isn't engaging. It feels like the game doesn't want to get too far away from the cutesy tone it sets up so it can't be explored with the seriousness it deserves. That "Music" explanation the one eye guy gave made me want to groan out loud when he gave it. And I'm pretty sure I never said the Empire where the only bad guys, but we still get villains where the only personality trait they get is "racist". And that's lazy writing.

And what was that? One scene? Then you go back to gunning down Empire soldiers five minutes later? Welkin talking about how much he loves nature along the way? This game has a lot of parts that quite simply don't fit together. To quote Jimquisiton, Ludonarrative Dissonance.

If it truly wanted to be a fictitious world with no ties to WWII, it should've done that. No concentration camps, no sketching of Europe, no exact same years. It should've been in a completely original world without any of the major ties to our one. It would have been a thousand times better. The inclusion of mystical elements do not wipe out any correlations between real world events. Especially when those powers are meant to be allegories for nukes! The wacky nature of the Butter Battle Book didn't make it any less about the Cold War.

I'm starting to get the impression that you think I'm going out of my way to hate this game. I'm not. I wanted to like it. It just failed to deliver. I haven't finished it yet (Don't own a PS3, been playing it on a friend's and she's away for college) and I'm gonna finish it, but my friend and I are well over halfway through the game, so unless the last few missions pull downright Shakespearean twists out, I don't think my overall opinion of the game is going to change that much. And when you've got six different people jumping on you for not liking a game, your ordinarily mild opinion of it can turn hot very fest when you get angry at constantly having to defend yourself for not sharing the majority viewpoint.

I don't WANT to dislike the game! I'd like nothing more than to like it! But it just doesn't engage!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Kaimax said:
erttheking said:
Well, no one is disagreeing with you there, as it was a legit complaint for VC1, which would be fixed in VC 2 and VC 3, where they implement multiple area maps making the "Scout Rush" Ineffective, because moving unit to another part of the map ends the turn of that unit.

Speaking of war portraying, VC more closely resembles WW 1, because of the Battle at Naggiar Plains, with it's trenches.
Eh, if it was about WW I then every single battle would've been like that. Plus the tanks would've been much slower and less effective. And bolt action rifles would've been the only weapon that could be easily carried and fired by an individual soldier.