Skryim is outdated

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
Actually, the OP has not told me a single thing I didn't already know about Skyrim. Seriously, everything he's said can be seen in videos and in legitimate video gaming journals. I've seen dumbass NPC behavior, I've seen rag doll crap. I don't freaking care. I've had this game pre-ordered and paid off for months. I'll hold my judgements about crap animations and "Mountain Walking Simulators" (Seriously, if you were my journalism student and you ended a review or article with that I would have slapped an F on the paper for gross biased opinion your head would spin.)

I'm pretty sure they've done a good job polishing it up, but at the end of the day I'm as hyped as all get out and I still don't think everyone's suddenly going to have magical AI or more realistic death. I still know the animations aren't going to be Arkham City caliber. I don't care, it's still going to provide me a ton of stuff to do and I don't think two hours is sufficient to see the Radiant Story aspect in action. Plus, if it's done right you won't even know you've been radiant storied until you talk to someone who has the game or do a second sufficient play through.

Plus, there is a day one patch that could fix a lot of the small gripes. I played Oblivion vanilla for five years (no patch no mods). I think I can handle Skyrim.

wyrmslayer1991

Jun 14, 2011
Oh. One last little thing I thought was really cool. Very early on in riverrun you may possibly get a chance for a follower almost right away in the game. After I recruited him I was talking to him and there's an option that said "I need you to do something for me" I hit it, and suddenly my curser changed, and then whenever I scrolled over anything in the room, even stuff far away, it would say stuff like sit this chair, eat this food, attack this guy, steal this stuff. Legitimate, contextual orders to your followers? It's a good thing.

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
Duffeknol said:
Played it yesterday for a few hours since a buddy of mine got it (legally) early on PS3.

I want to see a picture of you on your PS3 playing the game, or it didn't happen.

Until I see the game myself after 11-11-11, I'm not taking your word for it. I believe that Bethesda has crafted a better game than the one you are talking about. Or, maybe the game your friend "claimed" was Skyrim was actually a cheap knock-off, much like how "Alien vs Hunter" is a cheap knock-off of "Aliens vs Predator". Maybe the game you are actually playing isn't "SKYRIM", but rather: "SKY[sub]masters at the top of the[/sub]RIM".

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
King of the Sandbox said:
ITT: People expecting the video game messiah, then being dissapoint when it's just a video game.
That's what I find funny about these overhyped 4th quarter titles it happens every year and then everybody are like "meh it was an ok game when spring comes around."

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
MickyD47 said:
Its outdated because of bad animations, supposedly bad physics and bad AI (not sure if you are confusing bad animations with AI but whatever)

Well then... this game must be terrible I'll take your word for it.
Have you even read the OP?
Or is your selective fanboy vision is getting worked up?
I suggest you go back and point me to the exact sentence where he says that the given game is terrible. He merely stated the problems that still persist from the prequel.
In fact the title itself states "Skyrim is outdated" not "Skyrim is terrible".
Also, this shows a lot of incompetency from the Bethesda guys. They added a whole new marriage system but couldn't be arsed to fix the complains of the previous game. At this point they are only digging their on grave.

Bad Cluster

Nov 22, 2009
Duffeknol said:
Played it yesterday for a few hours since a buddy of mine got it (legally) early on PS3.
Yes, it looks nice, but why does everything else feel the same? The same weightless physics, the same horrible character animations, the same awkward standstill conversations (though now not as zoomed in, and sometimes they even move their hands), the same absolutely idiotic AI...

Now, I had some fun with Oblivion, it's a good game, especially for its time, but why is the ONLY damn thing they've improved over the years the graphics? They've had so much time, yet most of the stuff we get is directly ported over from Oblivion. Worst was when two characters were standing in front of each other, completely motionless (save for their faces), shouting at the top of their lungs something like 'OH MY GOD A DRAGON WTF WTF WTF'. I mean, shit. Another thing was when a character runs for his life (again, with the exact same character animations of people running in Oblivion), then when he's reached his waypoint he turns around to meet you super damn slowly like everything is alright.

It's like they took all the (valid) criticism they got with Oblivion (a good game, but by far not perfect) and just decided to disregard EVERYTHING.

Oh well, it'll still be a nice walk-in-the-mountains simulator.

EDIT: before I get even more fire. It's not that I don't enjoy this game. I love walking in the mountains. It's just that it could've been better and they could've done something with the critique they got last time.
If you expect too much new from AA titles designed for current console generation, you are aiming to disappoint yourself like this every time. Its a THING now to improve the looks, so your game does not look like a "6 years of all the same" to any casual observer, this is something that makes budget approval process so much easier.
Very few go for risky ideas and changes in gameplay, most of that gets canned during game development anyway.
Developers don't want to go bankrupt either, they need to eat, they have families, so they have to stick to current most profitable markets. Its like signing up a contract with a devil promising riches and fame with one condition, you have to work with horribly outdated 6 years old hardware with extreme memory limitations.

PS: True AI requires lots of processing power, something that a console running on the edge of its potential to show you a pretty picture wont have. Most of the time behavior scripts are used instead and those are not very flexible.

AppleShrapnel

Jan 2, 2010
Duffeknol said:
- The finishing moves didn't feel different than the ones in Fallout 3 for me. The combat is still wave your sword until the thing in front of you turns into a ragdoll. I really didn't get the feeling of weight from the combat at all.
- Convos are indeed real time, but they still feel wrong. They stare at you and say their lines, only thing that's changed is that they sometimes move their arms a bit. Awkward and standstill.
- "Waving your sword around until the thing in front of you dies" is a gross generalization that could be applied to just about any game involving swords. Let's take the current melee combat champ for example; Dark Souls. There's a lot of strategy going on, but I could still say it's just waving your sword around until the thing in front of you dies. :p

In Oblivion (and Skyrim, of course) you can block, dodge and toss fireballs and whatnot at things, too. While strategy may not be necessary in Skyrim, ignoring it will simply turn it all into the aforementioned gripe. Taking less direct hits is never a bad thing...

- New conversation thing sounds awesome. But not awesome enough for you, obviously...

Let's take those bullet points in a less qq-y direction for a bit; how would you improve them both?

Ghostbody

Jun 10, 2008
Well, this is good to know. I will probably watch my friend play before I actually open my copy. Better yet, I can see how you would come to what you are saying. I watched the game play videos and thought the same thing. But we will see. Thanks for the heads up.

lordbuxton

Aug 5, 2010
Duffeknol said:
Yes, it looks nice, but why does everything else feel the same? The same weightless physics, the same horrible character animations, the same awkward standstill conversations (though now not as zoomed in, and sometimes they even move their hands), the same absolutely idiotic AI...

Now, I had some fun with Oblivion, it's a good game, especially for its time, but why is the ONLY damn thing they've improved over the years the graphics? They've had so much time, yet most of the stuff we get is directly ported over from Oblivion. Worst was when two characters were standing in front of each other, completely motionless (save for their faces), shouting at the top of their lungs something like 'OH MY GOD A DRAGON WTF WTF WTF'. I mean, shit. Another thing was when a character runs for his life (again, with the exact same character animations of people running in Oblivion), then when he's reached his waypoint he turns around to meet you super damn slowly like everything is alright.

It's like they took all the (valid) criticism they got with Oblivion (a good game, but by far not perfect) and just decided to disregard EVERYTHING.

EDIT: before I get even more fire. It's not that I don't enjoy this game. I love walking in the mountains. It's just that it could've been better and they could've done something with the critique they got last time.
I'm calling bullshit, the animations in Skyrim have been completely overhauled, time stamp with you holding case and disk or this is all bull.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFbhQqHGo00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vehim8J_VPo

ViciousTide

Aug 5, 2011
Are you kidding me? If this is the case, you haven't even played the game yet you liar! I've seen footage of this game, and it's nothing like Oblivion! Every item, I mean EVERY ITEM/HOUSE/HORSE/NPC/ARMOR is redesigned, let alone the landscapes. The 100 Artist went to Town on this game more so than stupid Map Creators only for FPS like MW3! The game mechanics are even better, and the water physics and rag dolls are legendary. More trap animations, and Freedom to be creatively Strategic against your Foes. You can also lead/command NPCs (and not just 2 others, like Mass Effect) to do your fighting for you.

AND OMG the SPELL ANIMATIONS are the best to date! Let alone the Shout Animations from the Dragons!!!!

Throw in Combination Spell Fighting and you have the best RPG the world has yet to SEE!!!

boyvirgo666

May 12, 2009
Azure-Supernova said:
You know what... call me an patsy but that's all I really wanted. There's only so much that could be done with mods with Oblivion. I'm just after more of what Oblivion was, but prettier.
Youd be amazed how often i just wanted that in a games sequel and the company had to fuck it up. Sword of the stars 2 for instance.

ViciousTide

Aug 5, 2011
Hell, this game is amazingly better than Oblivion, videos of the first 20 don't lie! Who else is reading Sun Tzu's "The ART of WAR" to prepare for strategic Battles and dungeons for Skyrim this Friday?!

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
AppleShrapnel said:
Let's take those bullet points in a less qq-y direction for a bit; how would you improve them both?
1) Use Euphoria. It's such a cheap shot but it's true. The tech no make everything look better and feel better is out there, so why not use it?

2) The conversations could at least have a bit of emotion to them. No, I'm not just talking voice acting. Played Rage? Awful game. But amazing character animations and facial expressions. Though Rage pushed it a bit too far (the emotions seemed exaggerated, they went overboard), at least it felt like someone is actually talking to you and is not a robot spouting lines. That would be an improvement. Also not being glued to the floor when being talk to would work, but you'd get in trouble when picking your reply. Maybe implement it so that you can't reply if you walk away from them.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Duffeknol said:
Not being funny but given your criticisms if this is all you can see yourself doing in this game then you clearly don't like this style of game to begin with.

Even if Skyrim was just a continuation of Oblivion with no changes I could see myself having loads fun with it :/

I think you are being kind of harsh with that comment.

For some reason people think because fans are excited for this game we expect it to be perfect?! We don't... we just want more sandbox first person rpg fun...

AngryBritishAce

Feb 19, 2010
What? You're being outragious! Next you'll be saying the first quest in the fighter's guild should be something OTHER than rats :D

OT, well, it is Bethesda. It's BOUND to feel like their other games. From what I've seen, I expect you're over-exagerating, but even so, this game will be amazing. Even if it's no improvement over Oblivion, it would still be a awesome game.

ViciousTide

Aug 5, 2011
Games are getting so big and so Great! Who needs to buy another $400 console and all it's accessories and games? I am backlogged on Great games until 3 years from now. Now if only i could earn a passive income instead of spending my time working 9-5, 40 hours a week!

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
Duffeknol said:
A Bethesda game with stiff animations!?! Stop the presses this is a surprise!

In all seriousness, let me name off every Bethesda gamed that has the same problem, all of them except Rage, which wasn't actually made by them.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
[HEADING=1]WAIT A MOMENT[/HEADING]
all you said was stuff that happened in the 22min demo that is on youtube and I am sure the characters standing there having a conversation weren't the ones who were talking about dragons, and the reason the guy stopped running for his life is because gameplay demos like that are normally scripted a lot more then the actual game.

So, I am going to go with a lot of people and call troll on oyu till I have played the game and can judge for myself.