Skyrim: Cabbage Rocket

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
Gasbandit said:
CrashBang said:
I like Skyrim. I didn't realise that was unusual.
It's not. It's just cool to hate on things that were super popular 2 years ago. Skyrim *is* one of the 10 best RPGs of all time. Did it have its issues? Sure. What game doesn't?
The problem with Skyrim is that of the vast amounts of stuff there is to do, none of it is rewarding in any way and most of it is almost the same.

Go to the Draugr Ruin and get my amulet!
Go to the Draugr Ruin and get my drum!
Go to the Draugr Ruin and get my bread!
Go to the Draugr Ruin and get my long lost father's randomly enchanted helmet!
Go to the Draugr Ruin and get my basic Iron Sword that been passed down from generation to generation and has been feeding my family for years!
Go to the Draugr Ruin!
Go to the Draugr Ruin!
Go to the Draugr Ruin!
Go to the Draugr Ruin!
Go to the Draugr Fucking Ruin!

There may as well be a sum total of 2 enemies in the game considering how little you see anything that isn't a Bandit or a Draugr. If they really want to mix it up they send you to a Dwemer Ruin, but that's the only thing they do, then it's right back to Go to the Draugr Ruin!

No amount of mods can fix that. Believe me, I've tried.
I have so many mods that make me long to play Skyrim, I go on it and what is there to do?
Randomly explore? Goes nowhere.
Companions? Go to the Draugr Ruin!
College of Winterhold? Go to the Draugr Ruin!
Main Quest? Go to the Draugr Ruin!
Thieve's Guild is somehow still Go to the Draugr Ruin! ...and if you're joining that guild you're not going to be the type of character that can handle that kind of fight yet.
That laughable afterthought of a Bard Guild? Go to the Draugr Ruin!
I suppose I could go to one of the castle and get some randomly generated quests where I Go to the Cave and kill some Bandits! ...but you don't want to get me started on Go to the Cave and kill some Bandits!

I would love somebody who loves this game to tell me exactly what they think I'm missing, but I'm pretty sure I've done everything there is to do outside of mods I haven't seen and something interesting is yet to happen.

The Dark Brotherhood was OK.
RPG of the decade material? Not by a long shot.
...Especially not in decade that has Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma in it.

deathmothon

Nov 30, 2013
garjian said:
Gasbandit said:
CrashBang said:
It's not. It's just cool to hate on things that were super popular 2 years ago. Skyrim *is* one of the 10 best RPGs of all time. Did it have its issues? Sure. What game doesn't?
The problem with Skyrim is that of the vast amounts of stuff there is to do, none of it is rewarding in any way and most of it is almost the same.

Go to the Draugr Ruin and get my amulet!
Go to the Draugr Ruin and get my drum!
Go to the Draugr Ruin and get my bread!
Go to the Draugr Ruin and get my long lost father's randomly enchanted helmet!
Go to the Draugr Ruin and get my basic Iron Sword that been passed down from generation to generation and has been feeding my family for years!
Go to the Draugr Ruin!
Go to the Draugr Ruin!
Go to the Draugr Ruin!
Go to the Draugr Ruin!
Go to the Draugr Fucking Ruin!

There may as well be a sum total of 2 enemies in the game considering how little you see anything that isn't a Bandit or a Draugr. If they really want to mix it up they send you to a Dwemer Ruin, but that's the only thing they do, then it's right back to Go to the Draugr Ruin!

No amount of mods can fix that. Believe me, I've tried.
I have so many mods that make me long to play Skyrim, I go on it and what is there to do?
Randomly explore? Goes nowhere.
Companions? Go to the Draugr Ruin!
College of Winterhold? Go to the Draugr Ruin!
Main Quest? Go to the Draugr Ruin!
Thieve's Guild is somehow still Go to the Draugr Ruin! ...and if you're joining that guild you're not going to be the type of character that can handle that kind of fight yet.
That laughable afterthought of a Bard Guild? Go to the Draugr Ruin!
I suppose I could go to one of the castle and get some randomly generated quests where I Go to the Cave and kill some Bandits! ...but you don't want to get me started on Go to the Cave and kill some Bandits!

I would love somebody who loves this game to tell me exactly what they think I'm missing, but I'm pretty sure I've done everything there is to do outside of mods I haven't seen and something interesting is yet to happen.

The Dark Brotherhood was OK.
RPG of the decade material? Not by a long shot.
...Especially not in decade that has Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma in it.
I'm playing it right now, and this is what I'm running into. It's shallow, and kind of boring when you break it down. I'm still enjoying it because I love any game with lots of exploration and loot hunting. But top 5 rpg it is not.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
I can't even be offended. because I just don't greatly like skyrim.

It has great exploring and the best combat to be in elder scrolls games(that is not saying much). The only valid way play from stand point is be psychopath or pretend to care while 99% of the ncp's who have the personality of a cardboard cut out. when you don't give a shit about anything but exploring it is a nice time sink but it in the end nothing greatly memorable or of note comes out of the expirence.
there is no mod that can fix this problem.
I could ignore problems like that if the gameplay was almost perfect but it is not.
garjian said:
I did reach a point in the game I was exploring the map and decided to not to enter caves and ruins I found. I grew quite bored of fight generic bandits, evil mages, and Draugr.

Kilt'd

Feb 19, 2013
That was gutsy, guys. Well played.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/12032-25-Top-RPGs-of-the-Last-Five-Years.10

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
My biggest problem with Skyrim was how boring it was, for a game that spends so much time trying to be like other better fantasy RPGs they sure had a way of making seem boring as hell. Why did every character sound like they were bored and talk so much when I go to them? Why is the game a mess every time I play pay 20 hours(PS3 version is what I'm stuck with)? At least other RPGs like Deus Ex and New Vegas Ultimate are functional and aren't overly obtuse with their dialogue like Skyrim.....and Serial Experiments Lain.

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
I'm assuming this is their reaction to this.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/12032-25-Top-RPGs-of-the-Last-Five-Years.10

If not then beautiful coincidence.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
New Frontiersman said:
Dr.Awkward said:
(also, note to staff and me: I got a really, really, really sketchy captcha when posting this, as it said my account had "suspicious activity" and asked for my email. I had it generate new ones until I got a satisfactory one.)
I got that the other day as well, it was quite unnerving. Like you I just refreshed the captcha until I got something different, but still I don't think the Escapist should be hosting captchas like that. The ad captchas are bad enough.
Well, shit, I'm looking at one of those right now. This is... unnerving.

In any case, I love skyrim and Fallout 3. Fallout 3 had one of the most detailed worlds I've ever seen. There are tiny short stories hidden within every nook and cranny of that world, ones that you can piece together using context clues. Little moments like this:

completely blew my mind. Also, Skyrim, though not as good, had some interesting character builds. Playing as a warrior is totally different than a mage, which is totally different than an assasin. It almost feels like a different game each time you play. I usually get bored with Skyrim and move onto something else, but I wish more games were like this.

Sure, they don't have the mechanics and lore of Dark Souls, but they're still pretty genius in their own right. You just have to look at the games as an anthology of short stories, instead of as an epic.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
Gasbandit said:
CrashBang said:
Hm. Top 10?
I doubt it.
ME, DA, diffrent FFs, Zeldas, other TES, Fallout Series, Baldurs Gate, Arcanum, DSA games, System Shock, Deus Ex series and the Gothic series

and these do not even include most asian games which i'm not that familiar with. And i also probably forgot some candidates.
It's not a 100% given that Skyrim is in the Top10.

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
Fox12 said:
Sure, they don't have the mechanics and lore of Dark Souls, but they're still pretty genius in their own right. You just have to look at the games as an anthology of short stories, instead of as an epic.
This is how I would describe Oblivion (and I'm sure there are many who would disagree and say the same of Morrowind, but I didn't play that in it's time), but Skyrim doesn't do this well. It's short stories are all, as I'm sure you might've read above, Go to the Draugr Ruin!, then Go to the Draugr Ruin! again to get me something else please and thank you.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Well, to be fair, you can rice the shit out of a Civic and you'll end up with a respectable car. It's not like trying to rice out a Pontiac Sunfire (Sunflower) and expecting people to think you're something other than a douche. No, middle-aged grocery store supervisor, a cherry blaster exhaust does not make your car cool.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
madigan said:
My first experience with God Hand was when my roommate in college picked it up one evening on a random whim. He started playing it around 11pm and the beginning seemed sort of bland and clunky so I ignored it and went back to playing WoW (*shudders*). The morning I had to get up at 9am for class and as I was leaving the apartment I saw that he was still playing in the living room, even though he had class soon too. Later, when I got back in the evening, he was still in the living room playing God Hand.

I asked him, "Dude, didn't you have class today? Did you stay home ALL DAY playing this?" He turned around to look at me, seemingly unaware that I was ever there until I spoke up. His eyes were bloodshot and his mouth slightly agape, and he stared right through me into the unending void. Without speaking, he bid me to take a seat by his side. Curious, I took a seat, and he returned his gaze to the screen and continued where he had left off. Since there is no way to possibly describe what I experienced using words, just watch this:

http://youtu.be/6s544sFja5k?t=7m15s
Quicktime events? Really? Looks lame. No offense, but I don't get it. Seems like one of those "the internet thinks this is cool! This is cool! (but it's actually not. You just like it 'cause its popular and you think that makes you smart/good/part of the crowd)."

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
What do I use top 10 lists for? For finding new games. Unfortunately, none of the games I've tried from top 10 lists were interesting to me. Probably because few games are interesting to me. I've gotten very picky in my middle age.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
I believe you have a superfluous comma in the text underneath the comic.

My analogy for Skyrim is that it's like painting a Van Gogh onto a balloon before you give it to someone to blow up. There's so much detail put into the world, but as soon as the Bethesda levelling machine kicks in it distorts the entire experience.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Even though it didn't live up to my own standards I would've still loved Skyrim on my PS3 even if Skryrim ended up being a cult classic.

But here's what I got out of the web comic (and the character of these comics).

Sarcasm
wwWWAAHHhh!!!!
wwWWAAHHhh!!!!
The PC Master Race knows Skyrim sucks without mods!
wwWWAAHHhh!!!!
wwWWAAHHhh!!!!
Mods should never ever count!
wwWWAAHHhh!!!!
wwWWAAHHhh!!!!
All The Real Gamers like even older Cult Classisics from Japan that are too hard for most to beat!
wwWWAAHHhh!!!!
wwWWAAHHhh!!!!
You Filthy Casuals ruined gaming!
wwWWAAHHhh!!!!
wwWWAAHHhh!!!!
Skyrim isn't Kawaii enough because it prefers Kemono over Kemonomimi!
wwWWAAHHhh!!!!
wwWWAAHHhh!!!!
That means a lot less sexy cosplay!
wwWWAAHHhh!!!!
wwWWAAHHhh!!!!
Furries ruin everything!
wwWWAAHHhh!!!!
wwWWAAHHhh!!!!
Skyrim doesn't have Fancy Rats unless you mod them in!
wwWWAAHHhh!!!!
wwWWAAHHhh!!!!
/Sarcasm

Oh well don't take my Sarcasm rant seriously unless you're easily offended.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
garjian said:
Fox12 said:
This is how I would describe Oblivion (and I'm sure there are many who would disagree and say the same of Morrowind, but I didn't play that in it's time), but Skyrim doesn't do this well. It's short stories are all, as I'm sure you might've read above, Go to the Draugr Ruin!, then Go to the Draugr Ruin! again to get me something else please and thank you.
I would agree, since I consider Skyrim the weakest of the Bethesda games, mechanics not included. I was actually thinking more of Fallout 3 in that post, though. Running into a secret community of inbred cannibals, and finding bodies in their basement. Saving kidnap victims from Super Mutants in Germantown at night. Running into the cult of Dave. Destroying the Necronomicon in the Dunwich building. Finding a community of "vampires" in the sewers. Helping ghouls takeover Tenpenny tower. Returning to Vault 101 just before the final battle. I know the game generates some hate from old guard fans, but I love Fallout 3 for it's approach to story telling. I even love the ending, since it fit the theme of the narrative.

Sep 13, 2009
lacktheknack said:
True story: Gary Larson, the cartoonist responsible for The Far Side, once tried to draw a simple one-panel comic about a dog dreaming that it had murdered a car. Unfortunately, he had difficulty drawing the car, and people mistook it for a dog having sex with a car. This resulted in outrage, lost newspaper subscriptions, and him being kicked from some newspapers.

Seriously, screw drawing cars.

OT: Godhand: Best Non-Violent Adventure Game Of All Time?
Fellow owner of the Prehistory of the Far Side?

In case anyone was wondering about the offending strip:

It's kind of amusing that this and his medieval torture cartoons used to be notable enough to cancel your subscription to a newspaper and write them seething letters of complaint over