Skyrim: Cabbage Rocket

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
Well I play Skyrim on the PS3 without any mods and its still one of my favourite games, so THERE.

But seriously, it's all a matter of opinions and tastes. And whether you're used to playing with mods or not.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
The Almighty Aardvark said:
There was a lot of junk in that trunk.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Boba Frag said:
Scars Unseen said:
Boba Frag said:
written by a giant asshole
This should be one of the tags for the next Critical Miss strip.
Haha! Hopefully not, I rather like the comic most of the time.

Are you a journalist, sir?

That was some skillful out of context text selection :p
We are all fans and calling them "giant assholes" is probably the greatest compliment we can pay these gentlemen.

err... I mean these assholes.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
I'm not a skyrim fangirl, I don't know if I would put it on my top ten BUT modding potential absolutely is a point in Skyrims favour. For a start most of it's free. There is no additional cost to mod.
It's not a coincidence that Bethesda games have such a large modding community. They intentionally make them easy to mod and provide tools and large open world as a platform for it. The fact that you can customise your game to your preferences and you can create and share content (while learning far far too much about peoples fetishes) is a large part of the draw. Most games are not made with community modding in mind (some even go to lengths to prevent it) and you can't mod them very easily. Dose this forgive all flaws? no, modders should not have to fix broken shit but it is a feature that adds a lot.
I also don't really care if the game is good because of the content the developers release or the community. I care what the end experience is for me. Bethesda themselves doesn't get praise for modded content but they do for enabling it.

Skyrim is also a pretty good game to mess around in without mods.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Well fair enough I guess. Never enjoyed Skyrim myself just because it's story was too boring to be an interesting RPG and it didn't have enough things to do to be a fun sandbox. It could be fun with mods maybe but I never enjoyed it personally.

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
I've just started playing Skyrim, and my opinion is this. It's a fantastic game until the dragons come. Once the random dragons start appearing on the map, my personal game became one of loss and regret. The problem I have is that they didn't program the npc's to flee from the dragons properly. I've stepped into town to find that Aldor and Faendal have died in the street. I've saved Shadr from owing money only for a dragon to kill him and three guards. Hell, bandits killed my horse in my stable at Lakeview Manor. I find I can't get invested in the game as random acts of violence have caused NPCs I liked to perish, leaving me little purpose to reenter towns.
Skyrim is an ok game, but one easily broken by having quest specific npcs able to be slayed.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Armadox said:
one easily broken by having quest specific npcs able to be slayed.
Hmm? Quest NPC's are essential so they can't die. Merchants aren't which is a pain. I never had much issue with the dragons, usually it was guards dying but the vamps from Dawngaurd were a bit of problem in that regard.

Also mod:
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/23906/?

Though Bethesda loses points for that one since this is basically a fix.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
I guess I'm a monster then.
And it's not because of the mods because I don't have any.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Didn't even know about the controversial RPG list but now I do. Is this all some elaborate conspiracy to rake in a ton of page views on the Escapist?
Czann said:
Goodhand?

Skyrim all the way to the top. Not some emo, closed JRPG.
Confirmed for never played Godhand.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I agree with the guys on this one, it strikes me as extremely lazy to put skyrim at the top of these lists.

We all bought skyrim, we've all played it, most of us have >100 hours in it. We all know the ups and the downs of the flagship bethesda series. We'll all buy the next one, too.

A list that puts it on top is not giving me anything interesting to read about.

mmiki

Mar 1, 2013
My experience with Skyrim was that it sacrifices almost all depth for width. If you only stay in each town for a short while and talk to npcs in that town once or twice you'll get a sense of this huge world with a lot of characters. If you stay anywhere longer than 10 minutes though, you'll notice just how quickly they all get repetitive. It's like a movie set, shiny and grand from the front, but as soon as you move to the side you can see it's actually cardboard.

Plus, the combat system is kinda bad and the skill system is even worse. You can rectify most of these with mods, but I found that I needed about 30 mods to make the game enjoyable. There's even a mod that introduces interesting npcs that you can have a conversation with. When you install that one, you start to realize just how bland vanilla npcs are.

So, no, I don't think vanilla Skyrim is very good, but if you have to congratulate Bethesda on something, it's giving unprecedented modding ability to the players. That alone is worth a spot in the top 10 lists.

It also strikes me that I spent over a 100 hours in a game that I don't think is very good. Good job, brain.

XDSkyFreak

Mar 2, 2013
Thank god for this. It amazes me just how far Skyrim gets praised for stuff that isn;t even in the game.

Let's get this out of the way: Skyrim is by no definition a bad game. It's good. Ok. Decent. Passes the time.
But from that to all the retarded wanking fanboys shouting BEST RPG EVAH ... seriously? THIS? This unfocused, underwritten, booring, uninteresting generic medieval fantasy with dragons is TEH BEST RPG EVAH? Let me explain RPG: Role Playing Game. In otherwords and rpg is a game where story, roles, characters, situations take precedence over everything else. You must imerse me in your world and make me want to play the role assigned to me by the story. What are you in skyrim? A nobody. A random nobody of no known race gender or features that just happens to get the power to nom on dragon souls. A bit bland, but hey, if tyhe journey is good and the people I met are fun ... oh ... yeah ... ummmm ... generic save the world from bug bad dragon, generic exposition spewing pieces of cardboard with names atached ... ouch. Skyrim has NOTHING beyond a crude skeleton of an RPG, opting instead to just dump a truckload of disjointed and random toys and pretend it's an actually interesting experience. When really it's just a collection of random boring toys pilled up in one spot. That and graphics that would almost be passable (seriously, all the people praising skyrim graphics at launch must have been blind ... the draw distance was shit and all textures were utter crap I would expect to see in Mount&Blade for christs sake. Oh sure the vistas were nice if you played in low res and squinted real hard at the screen). Skyrim is not an RPG, plain and simple. You want a good RPG? Planescape: Torment. That game after so many fucking years still holds permanent residence in my memory and I can recite it's story by heart, it's dialogue word for words and all I need is one visual or audio que and instantly I am back in the skin of the Nameless. That is a true RPG, one that grabs hold of you, erases your mind and makes you become your in game character through a well written, well paced story and mistery and interesting sights and places and characters and personality. If one was to use graphics from one or two years ago to recreate Planescape, all the skyrim fanboys would probably shit themselves at actually fucking unique and amazing sights, not generic nordic country farm land from skyrim. Bottom line: verry few games pretending to be RPG are actually even real RPG's, let alone good ones.

Planescape: Torment is my number 1 best RPG ever, but for more modern examples: Witcher, Mass Effect (you had a name and place in the world before the game began, you had a rudimentary identity that the game allowed you to build upon. As oposed to identity-less random amoeba from skyrim) even despite the shit ending, that new Deus Ex game, the original Deus Ex, The Gothic series (it takes cues from skyrim in it's inception: namely you are a convict, difference here beeing you have a face, a voice, a personality. And the story starts as just you trying to find your place in the new life, but through proper pacing, mistery and one of the most immersive integration of RPG skills into the game world I have ever seen in a game, it sucks you into a world that isn't as simple or as boring as it might seem. It trains you in a mundane atmosphere, so when the weird world shapping events pop up and you are swept in them, you actually feel excited. As oposed to: "you are the mighty dragonborn, powerfull beyond scope, our only hope against dragons. Now go do a bajilion fetch quests and run around boring farmland for 100+ hours. Oh and don't bother with dragons that much, aparently if they attack a town, pesants with farming tools and fists can kill them just fine. So really, I don't even know why you are even needed here. EPIC ADVENTURE!").

Oh and another thing: FUCK MODS. FUCK THEM. DO NOT TELL ME "MODS FIX IT". NO! IF THE GAME IS SHIT AND FAILS AT THE MOST BASIC THINGS IT SHOULD DO, THEN THE GAME HAS FAILED AND NO AMOUNT OF MODS WILL FIX THAT. Will I enjoy a mod more than the origina? Of course. Will I go praise skyrimn because mods make it better. FUCK NO! SHIT ON SKYRIM ALL DAY FOR BEEING BLAND OVERHYPED BULLSHIT! PRAISE THE ACTUAL MODDERS WHO WENT OUT OF THEIR WAY AND FIXED WHAT THE DEVS WERE TOO LAZY TO FIX OR DO RIGHT FOR NO ACTUAL MONEY. Skyrim is a decent game, but it's overhyped and overpraised beyond belief by idiots who just can't comprehend that no amount of mods will fix skyrim beeing just an average game and who are praising bethesda for the work of other people. IF bethesda was to deserve all the praise skyrim got, then at least 70% of the profits skyrim made should go to the modding comunity of that game. And that would also make the game fair game for any best of lists (which are about the merits of the game, NOT what the modders fix about it. IF it's fixed by a mod, good job game devs: you are so incompetent and/or lazy you put out an incomplete broken game for other people to fix).

Actually does anyone think bethesda are turning into lazy fucks? I mean ... right now TES 6 and Fallout 4 can be the shities buggiest games in the world, dipshits will still praise them because bethesda basically gave the comunity an incomplete broken game and said "fix this for us, here are the tools". In my days, when a dev put out a shitty game that the comunity had to fix we would humiliate that dev all day and not buy any further game untill proof we no longed had to do their work for them.

K-lusive

May 15, 2014
I think Skyrim by itself is a playable, decent enough game. Some people, who are into these kinds of things, I'd recommend it right away. Other's I'd recommend getting at least SkyUI and the unofficial patch.

Bethesda's games may be buggy and shallow, but the immense scope of the game, combined with the excellent modding support, is what sells it to me, because even if Bethesda buggers off to try their hand at generic fantasy-mmo number 733, the community will find and fix bugs, improve the mechanics, add depth to the game, you name it.A buggy game at launch can mature well that way.

So the way I see it, Bethesda made a great RPG-template, which deserves my praise.

EDIT: Ofcourse, I dont praise bethesda for any mod that exists. If a prize were to be given to Skyrim, the modders would deserve at least 70% of it.