Skyrim elves look AWFUL :(

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
Elamdri said:
Part of the problem with the elves is that elves are supposed to look like humans. Orcs, Khajit, and Argonians don't have to look like humans, so there is a lot freedom there. Elves, not so much.
On the contrary, Orcs are elves. Just saying.

But who says they have to look good? Being ugly is probably just part of what they are this time 'round. Just because they're game characters doesn't mean they have to look pretty.
And besides, like it's already been said, elves don't have to look like humans. You don't have to have fixed characteristics for things that don't exist.

Circusfreak

Mar 12, 2009
I actually like the elves in skyrim because at least they look diffrent. i'd rather have this than the traditional very handsome humans with pointy ears and long hair.

OldRat

Dec 9, 2009
So why the blooming hell should they look pretty? I hate this in fantasy games, I honest to whatever god you believe in HATE this. They're not meant to be human, and if you go by the logic of "but they should look aesthetically pleasing because people are going to play it!" then guess what, SO SHOULD EVERYTHING ELSE. Every ugly, horrible and hideous monster should now be pretty. But what's that? Then they won't be horrid and scary and different and obviously not human any more? WELL WELCOME TO THE TOWN OF THATSTHEPOINTVILLE

So yeah, they look awful because they're not meant to be pretty human with funny ears. They're MEANT to be alien and weird creatures of a FANTASY WORLD FULL OF ALIEN AND WEIRD CREATURES. This is not difficult.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Tzatziki3301 said:
Nor is it supposed to be. TES setting is NOT Tolkien nor Warhammer nor Dungeons & Dragons. Their Dwarves (Dwemer) are nothing like the dwarves from those settings either. The Dark Elves in TES are not DROW, they are 'dark' Elves. Like a Redguard is basically a 'dark' human. There are no actual 'humans' in TES either, but culturally diverse to the point of racially different types of human. Technically there should be nothing to really compare a Nord (Scots/Viking) to a Breton (European/French Medieval) to an Imperial (Roman Legion style) in terms of stats or traits if they were all 'humans', but TES chose not to follow that idea and struck out on their own (Breton Spellswords FTW btw ;) )

In the Elder Scrolls, there is no Lolth, though there is an arguable equivalent, and the Dark Elves don't revere or follow her, neither are they simply elves that decided to shun the light and head underground. In fact, the entirity of Morrowind is set in Dark Elf country.

In some (real) cultures, Elves are basically slightly larger pixies, in others they are wee folk with pointed ears and a propensity to wear the colour green (and help Santa...) they look nothing like humans save for the humanoid 2 feet, 2 hands, pink skin approach.

Just because there is an overwhelmingly popular standard doesn't mean everyone HAS to follow it and can't be original. Personally, i take afront to the STUPIDLY large ears on Warcraft elves, but I don't go petitioning Blizzard to make them closer to Legolas.
This. I feel TES elves in Skyrim look more iconic then they ever have before.

bootz

Feb 28, 2011
Elamdri said:
DarkRyter said:
Elamdri said:
What the hell was Bethesda thinking? The elves in Skyrim look absolutely HIDEOUS. I mean, they look like something you'd see out of Aliens. I feel like the Khajit and the Argonians feel more human than the elves do! It's become very off-putting.

I can't figure out what's worse. That someone designed them in the first place thinking that they would be aesthetically pleasing, or that someone didn't tell the person who created them that they're an absolute failure and put them in the final release.
They were supposed to be ugly. Since when were elves supposed to be pretty?
It's FINE if they're UGLY, but they don't look like ELVES.
So you've seen elves in everyday life. You got one in your closet?

Nudu

Jun 1, 2011
I see...And from what objective standpoint are you basing this statement of fact?

What you mean to say is "I don't like the design of the elves I Skyrim. If I had designed them they would look more like the humans." And that's an opinion you're free to have, but don't state it as if it was an objective fact.

Actually, the elves in Skyrim is sort of a step back to the elves in Morrowind, and personally, I think they look cool.
Elamdri said:
It's FINE if they're UGLY, but they don't look like ELVES.
You know after hearing you say this I actually went and took a look, and you're right! They look nothing like the elves we have here in the real world. The Elf Lobby is sure to hear about this!

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I read the first few pages of this but I am not sure how it went on for 10 pages. I mean, it has been summed up quite nicely. Elder Scrolls elves are not Tolkien elves, end of story.
They aren't meant to look like some super pretty race. I am very glad to see it break away from the established high fantasy crap. I prefer Elder Scrolls elves vastly. In fact, I always play a Dunmer.

Lawllerskater

Jan 29, 2010
Waaah waaah waaah.
Hey look, I'm OP.

I hate how orcs aren't super-lime green! That's totally not how orcs should look!
The trolls have too much hair! They don't look like trolls!
My redguards aren't black enough. Wah wah wah.
The elves' brows are too big for me to handle.

I want everything my way. I'm OP.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Wayneguard said:
Elamdri said:
What the hell was Bethesda thinking? The elves in Skyrim look absolutely HIDEOUS. I mean, they look like something you'd see out of Aliens. I feel like the Khajit and the Argonians feel more human than the elves do! It's become very off-putting.

I can't figure out what's worse. That someone designed them in the first place thinking that they would be aesthetically pleasing, or that someone didn't tell the person who created them that they're an absolute failure and put them in the final release.

vs.

Are you high?
In Oblivion, they looked like ethnic human beings with stereotypical asian eyes. I think he's only upset by their new look as they don't look humanly "beautiful".

rda_Highlander

Nov 19, 2010
Of course it looks disgusting. That's why Rizhandi steps slowly behind it, put his paw on it's filthy mouth and slit it's dirty throat.

Ravenbom

Oct 24, 2008
Yeah, they're pretty fugly but they always have been in TES.

Still, it's a bit of a contrast to their armor which is beautiful.

GrimSheeper

Jan 15, 2010
You know, this sounds like a terribly personal problem. You for yourself think the elves are ugly. I am sure someone shares that notion, but I would say this is a case of false consensus. I don't think the elves are so hideous that they justify genocide, I just wouldn't play an Elf.
This is not Lord of the Rings like so many others said, the Elves do not HAVE to look like you want them to. You don't like the design of the intellectual property of Bethesda, that does not mean they are /wrong/ with what they did. The Elves in this game are supposed to look like the Elves from Skyrim and nothing else. If you don't think that's true elves, that's fine, but apparently a majority doesn't think so.

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
HOLY JEEZ, I got back from work and there are like 30 FREAKING MESSAGES in my inbox. I need to make awesome threads like this one more often.

mandaforever

Feb 16, 2011
so...why is it written in the stars that they have to be attractive?

By the way I spent about 40 mins on my dark elf and she looks fantastic! You just have to know how to tweak.