Skyrim elves look AWFUL :(

Flizzick

Jun 29, 2011
PunkyMcGee said:
I like the elves in skyrim. It doesn't take the "most beautiful creature on the planet" route. I like how my wood elf doesn't look trustworthy. it makes it all the more fun for me.
THIS^

I joined the Dark Brotherhood as soon as I could with my wood elf; mostly because the quests centered around thief skills, and also because I gave him red eyes. Come on, how is a guy with red eyes NOT evil?

Anyway, I really don't understand the whole "Argonians and Khajits feeling more human" thing. Elves aren't humans, so the game devs decided they shouldn't feel/look too much like humans, simple as that.

Bato

Oct 18, 2009
Syzygy23 said:
By TES lore, all the mer people were descended from gods whereas humans were created by gods.
Ahh I wasn't entirely sure on how they were made, thanks.
I was looking through the UESP before I posted but couldn't find anything on it and just did anyway.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
They don't look human and I don't think they look attractive in the "want to sleep with them" sense but I actually rather like what they look like. I like that they give off an alien feel rather than just being super models with pointed ears. When I eventually get Skyrim I'm probably going to make a badass Dunmer girl first.
Or maybe a Khajit

Regardless Im sure someone will make a mod that makes them more human soon.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Honestly, while I don't personally like the look of the elves enough to play them, they do have a certain charm about them. I mean, it's definitely more original than the typical "super pretty" type elves from other games.

Much more than their appearances though, I'm glad that not every High and Dark elf has the voice of an old woman anymore. That's an improvement all across the board though, not having one male and female voice actor for every race.

Burningsok

Jul 23, 2009
nohorsetown said:
Elamdri (isn't that the name of some elf from something or other?) hasn't really set up an intelligent, meaningful debate here. He's blowing off steam and having a laugh. He doesn't like the look of the elves. I don't like them either, but it doesn't bother me as much. Some people do like them, to varying degrees. There's not much more for any of us to say about it, so yeah: kind of a pointless thread. But we all chose to chime in, so there's no reason for anyone to get offended. Dude wants to riff on Skyrim, making fun of not-so-scarce food, baskets-on-heads, and weird-looking elves, among other things.. and so far, it's been somewhat entertaining. Let's all calm down. I think some more funny pictures of elves are in order.
This man, or woman, speaks the truth!!

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I think they look bad ass! The Bosmer look exactly what i'd imagine a sneaky, bow-weilding mage to be! With their piercing eyes! Just epic! True, they don't look like humans, but I thought that was the point! I like being able to tell their race easily! Who else got really confused in Oblivion? I don't think I ever got the hang of it! Even with the human races!!

comet5002

Mar 27, 2009
I only read the first two pages of this thread, and no one addressed this issue, so rather than read the other 10 looking for some intelligence, I decided to just input it myself.

The OP is one of the most successful, if painfully obvious, trolls I've ever seen. And maybe the OP would argue with me on this, but anyone who goes on a forum site and says something that they know will get tons of debate, without any mind or willingness to change their own views, is the very definition of a troll.

So good job everyone on the first two pages, you have been trolled. Very hard.

Just to say something OT, at least the elves look different from each other. I cannot tell Nords, Bretons, and Imperials apart to save my life.

Ulfrick

Oct 14, 2010
comet5002 said:
I only read the first two pages of this thread, and no one addressed this issue, so rather than read the other 10 looking for some intelligence, I decided to just input it myself.

The OP is one of the most successful, if painfully obvious, trolls I've ever seen. And maybe the OP would argue with me on this, but anyone who goes on a forum site and says something that they know will get tons of debate, without any mind or willingness to change their own views, is the very definition of a troll.

So good job everyone on the first two pages, you have been trolled. Very hard.

Just to say something OT, at least the elves look different from each other. I cannot tell Nords, Bretons, and Imperials apart to save my life.
Its easy to tell those three apart, the Nords are the ones you would take to a metal show. the Bretons are the ones you would send your kid to study with, and the imperials are the ones you want to make absolutely certain never get any sort of power or nuclear weaponry. Its easy to tell just by looking at em.

As for the OP I too like that the elves actually look different now, although I do still hate the dark elves... probably comes from being called swit and n'wah one time too many in morrowind... fucking racist elves.

Emperor Nat

Jun 15, 2011
As soon as I saw this thread I thought of my friend Cameron, who is super-critical about elven aesthetics and has repeatedly criticised TES before for this very reason.

Actually, this thread is twelve pages now and I didn't read all of it. So, knowing him, he has posted in here somewhere. He doesn't use the Escapist to my knowledge, but he has a nose for these things...

Dudeio

Wat.
Feb 8, 2009
I LOVE Skyrims models and how the races look, it is abselutley BEAUTIFUL in my opinion. They're so much nicer to look at compared to Oblivion, Skyrim makes me want to not wear a helmet or mask more than any game that I know of, ofcourse I'm not at the moment since the mask-hat I have is SUPER AWESOME.

byterunner

Oct 14, 2011
Ahh, its alright Skyrim, just rub some dirt on it and it'll be better.

Don't worry, we'll get some mods installed and get that stuff sorted out and stuff.

Sulacu

Apr 30, 2011
Now I'm not interested to spew polemic here, but I can't tell you how much I think the general quality of character appearance has gone up over the installments. Dunmer especially look absolutely badass in Skyrim, whereas in Morrowind even the greatest among them looked gaunt and emaciated, and in Oblivion their features were drawn across the scalp in such a way as to invoke maximum reprehension and contempt, like they've all gone to the Botox clinic or got an extreme facelift. One of the best parts in Skyrim, for me, is the character visuals, unlike previous installments. Elven features are stark and angular. The altmer are convincingly regal, the dunmer seem believably insidious and intimidating, and the bosmer look appealingly wicked, tricksy and false. They are perfect representatives of cultures that defy human understanding.

I've seen the elven visuals being likened to 'alien', and I find that an accurate assessment, but this is not a negative thing. I think there's a haunting beauty behind the expressiveness of Elder Scrolls elves, or at least those from Skyrim, and let's not forget that some of the merfolk have ample justification for their more grizzled appearances. Especially the Dunmer, many of who were forced to seek their fortunes abroad after Vvardenfell erupted about two centuries ago, rendering like a huge portion of Morrowind pretty uninhabitable, so forgive them for wearing a perpetual scowl. Maybe my next character will be DirtyHobo, the Dunmer Dragonborn thief.

Voodoomancer

Jun 8, 2009
I think Elder Scrolls elves are supposed to look weird and alien. When was there a set standard for elves+, anyway? I, for one, celebrate a break from the standard Humans-with-slightly-pointy-ears elves.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
I think they look great, the oblivion elves were both too much like men, and fuck ugly.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Mods, seriously, one already addresses this problem:

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=212

Maerz

Nov 18, 2011
It's possible to make beautiful elves without mods that make them look ridiculous.

Example (My high elf):

[http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/847/screenshot126l.png/]

[http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/440/screenshot125p.png/]

[http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/198/screenshot183q.png/]

Though, I had to laugh when she was put in prison as a result of a quest. It was a bit out of place. It just takes time and patience to make a nice looking elf-- and inspiration. Level 31 and still counting with mine.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Elamdri said:
^That guy looks like he belongs in a DYNASTY WARRIORS game, not TES.
Come again? [http://www.gameguru.in/images/dynasty-warriors-6-1.jpg]

But OT, the Skyrim elves look exactly the way TES elves look. I mean seriously, you played Morrowind, right? That game was basically Journey to the Island of Ugly Racists With Gravelly Voices. Personally, I think it's a refreshing change from the norm.