Skyrim Legalizes Gay Marriage

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
Inkidu said:
F said:
I figure my partner will get eaten by a dragon as soon as we step into the wilderness.
I smell personal revenge motivation. You're at least going to want the wedding ring back so you can marry someone else.
Hell yes, chasing down the dragon who ate my love, and kill anyone else who gets in the way too.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
This sounds fine and all, but I don't think I'll marry anyone for the benefit of having them "help" me crawl dungeons.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Seventh Actuality said:
Nothin' witty to say. Just...go Bethesda, fuck yeah, this is 100% unambiguously good. In fairness, my hat still goes off to BioWare too for being (I think?) the first, but by following them Bethesda are helping solidify one good step into genuine progress.
I count Lionhead as the first to get the "you can marry either gender" thing in their games. Bioware had a couple of weird uncanny valley-esque cutscenes but nothing more was made of it. Plus in the Mass Effect games only heterosexuality and lesbianism exist in the galaxy, thus robbing me of my option to chat up Kaiden in the first game.

Still this is good news. I won't be getting Skyrim but it's nice to know this is in there.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
Twilight_guy said:
Wait, you can marry people in that game? Didn't know that.

Doesn't surprise me. New Vegas treated sexuality so casually and without prejudice that it seems logical that Bethesda doesn't care who you marry. Now all they need to do is let you adopt a dog... and then marry the dog (haha, I kid).
You can get a dog. I'm happy about this. I'm glad I can be bi with a preference to females in Skyrim.

dave1004

Sep 20, 2010
Oh, wow. I'm so totally making a female character now. Yes, yes! I can see it happening! An all-female lesbian harem!...Of DEMON HUNTERS.

Yesss

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
I just hope each NPC has a unique personality. The problem with Fable with the marry anyone thing as that... it felt like you married only one of two people because alot of npcs were voiced by the same person.

The again this is Skyrim and not Oblivion so I assume they have hired more than 6 voice actors to cover 'npcs'.

I hope the cat people still sound sexy... Oh... Am I thinking out loud again? I'm not a furry. Honest. Mmm Argonian ladies...

ReservoirAngel said:
Seventh Actuality said:
Nothin' witty to say. Just...go Bethesda, fuck yeah, this is 100% unambiguously good. In fairness, my hat still goes off to BioWare too for being (I think?) the first, but by following them Bethesda are helping solidify one good step into genuine progress.
I count Lionhead as the first to get the "you can marry either gender" thing in their games. Bioware had a couple of weird uncanny valley-esque cutscenes but nothing more was made of it. Plus in the Mass Effect games only heterosexuality and lesbianism exist in the galaxy, thus robbing me of my option to chat up Kaiden in the first game.

Still this is good news. I won't be getting Skyrim but it's nice to know this is in there.
Actually you will be able to be man-gay in Mass Effect 3. Here's hoping it's Garrus.

Honestly I'm *not* a furry. I just like awsomeness.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
The Rogue Wolf said:
Suddenly I'm seized by the desire to create an uptight neatnik Khajiit named Felix, and have him move in with a laid-back, slovenly Argonian named Ahskaar.

Hijinks would certainly ensue. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Odd_Couple]

But yeah, having a trustworthy companion along would be nice... so long as the AI has been upgraded and they no longer rush into vampire dens with naught but a silver dagger and a warcry.
Curse you, now that theme music will be in my head for the rest of the day. :)

Interesting to note that this was modded in as far back as Morrowind (the Romance Mod). Wonder if they leaned on that at all in designing this. It wasn't a bad implementation for its time.

I would certainly be up for exploring another continent together with Vilja.

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
The fact that there was marriage at all in Skyrim is news to me.

Good for them for not being closed-minded about this sort of thing.

Samurai Silhouette

Nov 16, 2009
Hooray! All my digital lesbian dreams have come true! But no joke, I was really looking forward to this. What would really be cool is if some of the NPCs discriminated against homosexual marriages, or if it's illegal in certain towns in game and you and your partner would have to cope with it through in game mechanics. That would really add some depth.

intheweeds

Apr 6, 2011
lacktheknack said:
Seventh Actuality said:
I think Lionhead got here first.

But anyways, I don't have issues with this so long as we don't have flamboyant couples everywhere in-game going on how great it is to be gay. I trust Bethesda to not do that.
Since you obviously wrote this hoping someone would call you on your impressive bullshit - let me be that girl.

Are you friggin kidding me? So no pride parades then? What the fuck does a 'flamboyant gay couple going on about how great it is to be gay' even look like?

Let me just say that as gay person, I just hope it isn't full of straight people going on about how great it is to be straight. God if i have to see two people of the opposite gender holding hands it just makes me sick! I'm fine with straight people as long as they don't flaunt it. I'm not a heterophobe but I just don't want to see straight people being flamboyantly straight everywhere i go. I'm fine with them if they can keep it to themselves. I trust Bethesda to do that.

(if you can figure out what the hell i'm talking about with that whole straight rant, or what 'flaunting' sexuality even means (surely you don't mean holding hands), then please let me know. You make about as much sense as i just did.)

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
Erana said:
But can I have a healthy non-sexual relationship in Skyrim? I don't like mandatory bonkings, and while we're talking orientations, I would like the asexual, hetero-romantic demographic to get to play. :3
Seeing as asexuals make up something like 1% of the population, I don't see us being a demographic that anyone thinks about ever.
Maybe they'll just tactfully step away from referencing boning because it's unnecessary. But failing that, you could always stick your fingers in your ears, squeeze your eyes real tight and pretend they are just hugging a lot.

Anyway.

I am not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. It kind of seems like taking the easy way out.
I mean, yeah, good that it's not all hetero all the time, but would it be so hard to give your characters an orientation. "EVERYONE IS PANSEXUAL" is pretty much declaring you are giving up early on the off chance you fuck it up and offend somebody.

Mechanical Cat Fish

May 16, 2009
Wait... you can marry people in Skyrim? Okay, seriously, though, good for them. Major diversity props all around. But really, you can get married in Skyrim?

Thumper17

May 29, 2009
JoesshittyOs said:
F said:
I figure my partner will get eaten by a dragon as soon as we step into the wilderness.
And then you have more of a motive to kill Dragons.

OT:I may just make my character gay for the hell of it. A Nord marrying a giant ass Orc?

No one fucks with that gay couple.

Edit: I wouldn't even mind if some NPC's hate gay marriage. It would add a little extra life into the world.

Have it so that the Elf races are completely fine with it, that they barely even recognize gender, and that the human races are 50/50
And the kahjit are 90/95% against it?

I dont care about this really. If it's easy to ignore, if they have a flamboyantly gay couple skipping down the street hand in hand singing the praises of the nine. Then that might be too much.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
Awesome! now my character will be not only pretty and fragile looking girl but also a lesbian! woohoo \(^_^)/