Skyrim physical copies have no data on the discs

TacticalAssassin1

Elite Member
May 29, 2009
How the fuck can they do this? This is epic bullshit. Why? WHY?!
Can't you at least put half the game on a disc and download the rest?
Or let us save money by giving that shitty little piece of code to us on a floppy disc or something?

saucecode

Jul 30, 2011
That really sucks.
The industry is getting very annoying.

Sooo... anyone betting on steam crashing?

A Free Man

May 9, 2010
distortedreality said:
I can't remember ever seeing something like that before.

No disrespect, but i'd have to see some hard evidence before I went off and raged, which I will probably do if true.

If true, hopefully by the time I get around to buying it (which coincidentally will be around the time Bethesda get rid of the inevitable major bugs) the server load will be less so I won't be waiting days for it.
Agreed. I don't believe the OP for a second. I have been semi following the release of information about Skyrim as it has been released and have never heard anything about this before. That is the kind of shitty move I'd expect from a normal developer and as far as my experience with Bethesda they are much better then that. I won't believe this until I see proof, but if it is true I'd be rather disapointed.

schiz0phren1c

Jan 17, 2008
Lol@ total shitstorm over someones friend not having the intelligence to look inside a dvd properly.
"Hey molehill!,I gotta make a mountain out of you!"

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
neonsword13-ops said:
Console gaming for da win!

OT: But seriously, that sucks. The Steam servers are going to be very busy come 11/11/11.
Already downloaded it from steam....common now. Steam isn't dumb They opened the pre down load already

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
Well considering mines preloading at 700KB/s i think i can say that either most have already downloaded it, or steam has upgraded since the witcher 2 constantly got server busy then, i ended up having to download off a us server.

Personally i don't see too much of an issue really, yes it's bad for those who have slow internet but can't you get your friend to back up his pre load so you can load it to your machine when your copy arrives?

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Unable to link it to Steam now and then preload? I am preloading Skyrim on Steam as we speak and I am getting 3mb/s. I say go for it now before 11-11-11.

Palfreyfish

Mar 18, 2011
To all the people saying "herp derp, just pre load", that requires you to have paid for the game. If you've paid for a hard copy, then you will have to pay for ANOTHER copy. It's not like we can all magically pull £36 out of our arses and pay for a new game.

Also, I smell BS. They may as well put a little piece of card in with a code on it. Why waste money printing discs, when all the discs do is point your computer at a steam server and say go.

You can hide stuff on discs, it's not hard, so either the OP's friend is dumb, or he's a professional troll. 10/10 good sir.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
I love how this problem has been pointed out to not actually be a problem and that it is on the disk, but nopony wants to read that so they just keep arguing over how stupid it is.
Guys, game disks cost money to make, even when they are empty, doing that for no reason other then to direct you to steam would be a massive waste of resources.
It's there, you can only access it after the release or finagle the game info from the disk. Stop posting in the thread 'til you've read it some.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Somonah said:
People still buy PC games from stores?

EDIT- i bet the people who buy PC games from RL shops also have VHS players, a CRT monitor and music on cassettes.
Some of us like the special editions.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
What was the point of even giving a disc? They should have just stuck a card with a redeem code or something in a box for physical installs on the PC if thats all the disc has.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Radoh said:
I love how this problem has been pointed out to not actually be a problem and that it is on the disk, but nopony wants to read that so they just keep arguing over how stupid it is.
Guys, game disks cost money to make, even when they are empty, doing that for no reason other then to direct you to steam would be a massive waste of resources.
It's there, you can only access it after the release or finagle the game info from the disk. Stop posting in the thread 'til you've read it some.
Thanks for the info. Although, my copy of Homefront seemed to force a download, rather than an install. 9 gigs later...

Kris015

Some kind of Monster
Feb 21, 2009
Just fucking great. I don't have any more space on the HDD where i keep steam -.-

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Loonyyy said:
Radoh said:
Thanks for the info. Although, my copy of Homefront seemed to force a download, rather than an install. 9 gigs later...
Steam Derps. That's really all there is to say on the matter.

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
Well if this was to avoid leaks of the game per-release it failed. One of my friends got her hands on it somewhere and has been saying how amazing it is. I have promptly ignored her all week.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
SuperMse said:
That's how every Valve game works, yet everyone seems fine with them.
Not that I recall, my physical version of Counter Strike: Source worked fine, and I'm pretty sure the others do. You still need to register it, but then it installs from the disk.

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
Something tells me it will be there at release date...
No way a company would send out empty copies.

And otherwise, go complain at your gamestore where you got the thing.