Skyrim, where's the fun?

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
Applejack said:
I agree about the difficulty thing but I could super smith my weapons to compensate so maybe I should use underpowered gear instead. I do kinda forget about shouts but I think thats because I only have one strong shout (ice breath all 3 words) but the recharge time is so long. And exploration yeah it's fun but I liked Cyrodil more because it has charm. Climbing mountains and finding sunsets was fun and when everythings reflecting on the water it's amazing. Also I have an xbox so maybe I should get kinect! Sounds fun.
I think you'll still find the game challenging with your best smithied gear if you're on the right difficulty. Still, I don't pretend any Elder Scrolls game is well balanced. It's why I usually limit myself to one of the three crafting skills. Also, if someone tells you some of the skills are weak or "useless", be sure to include one of those "useless" skills in your build. They're usually fun and the average player finds them very helpful, but min/maxers don't. Skyrim has a lot to offer min/max focused players. But honestly, the people who get the most out of it are the ones who just want to see everything the game has to offer, like myself.

Don't be afraid to use a shout even if you only have one Word for it. Even if you have all three, sometimes one is all you need. They will still be powerful and the cooldown will be short so you can use more of them.

Honestly, I don't think a Kinect would be worth it just for Skyrim. But if you were thinking about it anyway, maybe it's a good time.
I tried magic for a few hours and it feels like I'm spraying people with a weak fire extuingisher. Not really what I was expecting, can I make spells later?
You cannot make spells in Skyrim, but stick with it. You start at the bottom with the weak fire spray, but as you level and accumulate more powerful spells you start getting cool effects and spells that 'feel' really powerful. You just have to start at the bottom first hehe.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
FelixG said:
Shadowstar38 said:
Skyrim on the whole is a victim of the hype machine. For a game with literally hundreds of hours to, I found it too dull to even get through 30.
A slight correction, players who lack an active imagination are the ones who I would say fell victim to the hype.

My imagination works overtime when I am playing the game, self narration in my head, thinking of my characters in their own way and their individual stories as they move through the world ect.

Not everyone can do that, and they are the ones who are failed by the game.
What you're describing, I've easily done Fallout games. The difference there being, Fallot at least had good gameplay and a somewhat interesting main story to pull me through it. Skyrim for me, has neither one of these.

Swyftstar

May 19, 2011
I find fun in character creation and customization and exploring. The combat is only good for the occasional kill scene. I really like character creation and customization in games in general though so I got a lot of fun out of this game.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
I like skyrim, what can i say my arrows are now worth a damn. I tried play oblivion with just full archer, didn't end so well.

And i do like crawling through dungeons shooting people or animals in the ass with arrows, or assrows as i like to call them, makes the kill cam so much more hilarious.

Ill admit oblivion's quests were a lot more interesting but there's fun to be found.

woodaba

May 31, 2011
Mirroga said:
All I can say is, if you're not into Skyrim it's either you never liked the RPG setting or you simply don't play too many games in different genres.
Or we can realize that Skyrim is essentially a lobotomized version of Elder Scrolls designed specifically to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Some people do have opinions outisde the realm of your comprehension, ya know.

Maeta

Jun 8, 2011
Mix it up a little bit: I know it makes sense to stick to one style of fighting, but I keep switching between melee/bow and arrow/magic and I like to mix it up between being in-your-face barbarian attack and sneaky picking off members of groups from a distance hoping nobody notices kinda thing.
The thing that makes me love Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallouts 3 and New Vegas (for they are the only ones I've either completed or played more than a couple of hours (didn't get far into Morrowind, but I intend on going back to it at some point)) is that you can decide almost everything you want about who your character is, and why they behave as such... And usually that means I massacre a whole town due to some imagined mental trauma (that one only really makes sense with that scenario is Fallout 3 due to abandonment and that wanker Moriarty taking the piss in Megaton). Another thing you can do in Skyrim, though... Lettuce basketball!

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I still have fun with Skyrim despite it's repetitive nature, though I wish they'd return to the quest variety offered in Morrowind :(

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
That was exactly the question i asked myself once i'd finished it...where is the fun? The combat is boring, the skill system is so broken it's laughable and half the quests have no worthwhile rewards. The exploration part of the game is the only redeeming feature and that always leads to a dungeon with a fractionally harder bad guy at the end with a skill book and a magical item or 2. The difficulty settings change nothing but how many times you have to hit something before it dies and how many silly pause potions/meals you consume in the process.

It's a modern game i'm afraid...visuals over substance, hype over quality...and sadly it will be considered one of the best games of it's time as a result.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
The freedom is awesome. The quests (IMO) are quite fun. Being an assassin is hugely satisfying and I actually like the melee combat (guess I'm one of the few).

The biggest appeal of the game for me is roleplaying. This isn't for everyone because a lot of people like guidance but I've always found that this is what I enjoy the most.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Fappy said:
I still have fun with Skyrim despite it's repetitive nature, though I wish they'd return to the quest variety offered in Morrowind :(
This. It's still fun and I do enjoy it but I just lost months of my life to Morrowind. Hell my alarm tone is Nerevar Rising. I wake up in a good mood some days because I instantly think of all the fun I had in that game.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Blunderboy said:
Fappy said:
This. It's still fun and I do enjoy it but I just lost months of my life to Morrowind. Hell my alarm tone is Nerevar Rising. I wake up in a good mood some days because I instantly think of all the fun I had in that game.

I've listened to the Morrowind soundtrack far more times than I care to admit. Oblivion's "Sunrise of Flutes" would be a good alarm tone me thinks ;3

MopBox

Sep 7, 2012
All the fun is hidden in Dawnstar. You find it as part of the thieves guild quest line.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I actually rediscovered the fun of the Elder Scrolls series but it may not be for everybody. You see Oblivion was the one I spent the most time with and this is because of my background music: Dragonforce (or really any other similar speed/hair metal). Something about roaming through a pseudo-medieval landscape with that kind of music just makes it seem more epic...especially when the song is Operation Ground Pound.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
woodaba said:
Mirroga said:
All I can say is, if you're not into Skyrim it's either you never liked the RPG setting or you simply don't play too many games in different genres.
Or we can realize that Skyrim is essentially a lobotomized version of Elder Scrolls designed specifically to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Some people do have opinions outisde the realm of your comprehension, ya know.
Nah. Skyrim is a good example of streamlining as opposed to dumbing down. It's less complex than Oblivion in superficial and super tedious ways but more sophisticated where it counts.

Sam17

Apr 20, 2010
Conjuration/Illusion is a great challenge, I really enjoyed seeing how long I could go without killing an enemy myself, as opposed to making groups kill each other/spawning mobs to fight for me

charge52

Apr 29, 2012
FelixG said:
Shadowstar38 said:
Skyrim on the whole is a victim of the hype machine. For a game with literally hundreds of hours to, I found it too dull to even get through 30.
A slight correction, players who lack an active imagination are the ones who I would say fell victim to the hype.

My imagination works overtime when I am playing the game, self narration in my head, thinking of my characters in their own way and their individual stories as they move through the world ect.

Not everyone can do that, and they are the ones who are failed by the game.
Er, so what your saying is that you have to write a story for the game world, or else there is nothing interesting? This isn't fucking minecraft, that is a flaw, if a game is so poorly designed that people have to imagine something else is happening than it is a bad game.

charge52

Apr 29, 2012
Mirroga said:
I have analyzed some behaviors about the fun in different genre. All I can say is, if you're not into Skyrim it's either you never liked the RPG setting or you simply don't play too many games in different genres. The appeal of Skyrim and possibly other Bethesda games is the "freedom" found in it that are rare in today's videogames.
I have played games from every genre, and I am a RPG fanatic, yet I still think Skyrim is a horrible piece of shit. Whats the point of being free if all you can do is go to the same areas and kill the same baddies doing essentially the same quest over and over again.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Woodsey said:
Most of the time I just enjoyed exploring.

The perfect mix would be Morrowind's openness and range of variety with Skyrim's world and Oblivion's quests.
... with Daggerfall's spellmaker. Can't forget Daggerfall's spellmaker.