'Slut' Parade

JonnWood

Jul 16, 2008
evilthecat said:
Go read 'female sexuality' or 'femininity' by Freud and 'the sex which is not one'. Even Freud manages to be slightly less revolting than you about it.
http://machall.com/view.php?date=2001-04-30

The most galling part is how he keeeps insisting he doesn't think rape is okay, yet keeps blame-shifting.

SillyBear

May 10, 2011
WolfThomas said:
One of the protesters' posters summed it up perfectly, there's too much emphasis on "don't get raped" in society rather than "don't rape".

Women and men, gay or straight, of all nationalities and religion should be able to wear whatever they want without fear of reprisal or violence. This doesn't mean people won't stop judging them in their minds eye. It just means that someone should never be afraid of being abused physically or verbally for dressing like a "slut, ****** or terrorist".

Best poster though was a man with "This Man takes no for an answer!".
But the way you dress and act does influence the way people perceive you and act towards you. Police officers should be able to comment on these factors without receiving wide spread scorn and claims that he is sexist. Your argument is very idealistic. I hold the belief that rape will always happen and telling girls (and boys for that matter) about how to lower the chances of it happening to them is always a good thing. In fact, I think that is a more productive way to handle the situation than to preach sunshine and lollipops and pretend that the way express you yourself doesn't matter and everyone should leave you alone. It would be nice if that was true but it isn't and we need to be realistic.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
TB_Infidel said:
dogstile said:
You don't, but then again, isn't looks subjective?

I mean, I know people who can actually make the whole tracksuit look good. That costs about a tener.

Clearly, people enjoy looking good their way, and the police officers comments were stupid.
Actually looks are not subjective - go check out google scholar if you don't believe me. Regardless, they are still reckless in their actions and are trying to blame anyone but themselves for when it goes wrong.

Why was the officers comment stupid?
Actually, they pretty much are the most subjective thing ever. What you find attractive may not be what I find attractive after all. That's subjective enough for me. What you like depends on your race, your background, your upbringing, your own moral code, etc.

And the officers comment was stupid because it's dangerously close to blaming the victim. He should have worded it better rather than said a statement that sounds annoyingly close to "well, obviously its the clothes you wear, thats why you get raped!"

kitsunema

Apr 16, 2009
amucha98 said:
sethzard said:
I think you've totally missed the point of the article, I support them on this. They should be able to choose how they dress without the worry of being raped.
Pretty much what I was thinking.

Go them, go sluts. :)

EDIT: just realized this post did nothing. Added nothing to the discussion, besides showing how I agree with this one post.

So, uh... there's no excuse for rape... so, yeah, don't do it! Not men or women or, you know, animals or whatevs!

and also that it would be rather nice if there was a female equivalent of, like, a "player", so yeah, "slut" is a nice candidate :)
i thought diva was the female version of a player

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Well the only way to get dates these days seems to be dress like an overeager slut so the men don't have to actually try to get you so...

Viva la Singles man. How I love not being someones emotional tumor. And I get to wear comfortable clothes too! Score.

Oh this is about rape? Then whatever, the one with the penis is to blame. There. Argument over.

Vitor Goncalves

Mar 22, 2010
I have followed these articles with interest on BBC news/BBC news online.

First nice of you for posting a BBC news article and not another Daily Mail/Fox News pile of crap.

Second I have to give reason to the police officer. You can not convince me that the fact you (women) walk out to the street with a top that barely hides your tits and a skirt that barely hides your underwear, or the lack of it, is purely aesthetic. Of course its sexual.

You either had your own agenda when picking those clothes (like impressing your boss to get that so wanted promotion), or you are just being a slut. Any way, you are being naive for thinking that will not and should not attract less wanted atention.

I personally would suggest that if you still want to go out dressed like that, do not go out walking the streets alone at night after leaving the club and do not get drunk by all means.

But there again, you are free to play with fire, but there is a major risk you will get burned.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
I salute the Slut. She performs a service to the throngs of stupid men that loathe to want her but can't help themselves while at the same time they turn around and degrade her to save face; and to the stupid women that loathe their behaviour while at the same time bask in the socially accepted activity of bashing her yet would give a lung and a leg to have a shred of her confidence to go after what she wants.

Also, without the Slut alotta nerds wouldn't even get laid.

Stay strong and keep sluttng [sic]. Just because a girl is easy it doesn't mean that's all there is to her.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
TB_Infidel said:
I'm more offended by her lower case "L" in slut than her state of dress or promiscuity.

People get raped no matter what there state of dress. Having said that if you leave the house with your tits out and ass on show you can expect some unwanted attention.

Dave Chappelle put it best when he said she might not be a whore but she sure wheres the uniform. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqP4dsvHWf4]

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
SillyBear said:
But the way you dress and act does influence the way people perceive you and act towards you. Police officers should be able to comment on these factors without receiving wide spread scorn and claims that he is sexist. Your argument is very idealistic. I hold the belief that rape will always happen and telling girls (and boys for that matter) about how to lower the chances of it happening to them is always a good thing. In fact, I think that is a more productive way to handle the situation than to preach sunshine and lollipops and pretend that the way express you yourself doesn't matter and everyone should leave you alone. It would be nice if that was true but it isn't and we need to be realistic.
Yes, I'm aware how naive my post sounds, but I truly believe that the only only society will progress is through idealism rather than realism. Telling women what to wear is letting the rapists win in my book, a small minority has got all women scared how to act. We need to improve society not just learn to live with it.

But if we have to be pragmatic and of course I'd want my own mother/sister/wife/daughter to be safe, but telling them how to dress I feel isn't the right approach. Most rape is power based and it doesn't matter if you look like a prostitute or a nun, a scared woman will be a target. Better advice would be to suggest self defense, carrying and knowing how to use weapon if it's legal, having situational awareness and knowing what places to avoid at certain times.

Jonabob87

Jan 18, 2010
AgentNein said:
Retardinator said:
Are you fucking kidding me? People seem to be proud of anything these days. They just waltz down to the street with signs and banners and exclaim it everywhere.

There's only one problem... I don't give a shit. I'm proud of a lot of things, but you don't see me advertising it on the main square like it's of any goddamn significance.
Maybe if people started telling you to be shamed by these aspects of yourself for no good reason you'd be more apt to express your pride of who you are in public.
That depends on what that aspect of your personality is. It's becoming an ever increasing problem with western society that we look upon negative characteristics or flaws as "Just who I am" or even as something that is good.

If someone said to me "Johnny if you'd stop being such an arrogant twat sometimes people wouldn't get angry at you." I doubt very much I'd go out and express my pride in being an arrogant twat.

This is different though, this is a police officer saying something retarded and people responding by saying/doing something retarded. It doesn't work. I don't think women should be walking around with their tits hanging out (Mind = blown, I know) but it's not the cause of rape.

JoJoDeathunter said:
Nope, I don't see why it should be socially acceptable for men to sleep around, yet if a women does they're a "slut" or a "slag".
It shouldn't really be acceptable for either in my opinion.

Chucker

Sep 3, 2008
AgentNein makes a good point. Just to add my two pennies, there was a rapist who targeted older women (60+) who didn't necessarily dress in a scantily clad way.

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
JoJoDeathunter said:
Nope, I don't see why it should be socially acceptable for men to sleep around, yet if a women does they're a "slut" or a "slag".
as my boyfriend once remarked: "a key that opens a lot of locks is a master key and very valuable. a lock that opens for a lot of keys is just a shitty lock" xD

on a more serious note: i think the protesters have a point. i like wearing miniskirts and nice tops too. every girl likes to look good. and it would be nice to be able to do that without teh rapage commencing. still maybe their choice of words in the parade was a little unfortunate^^

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Belated said:
If somebody used the quote to defend total anarchy, they were using the quote wrong. But me using it to defend people's rights to dress how they want? I'm using it right.
Ah, okay. Good point.

I wanted to argue more about guns but that would deviate too much from the topic. To keep it relevant, I will mention that the vast majority of rapists are people known personally by the victim, not random strangers in back alleys (like we tend to imagine). The reason I point this out is that if an ex or a friend or whatever tried to assault me, I don't know if I could pull the trigger. The same could be said for lots of people, who have never taken a life before and might find it hard to do so in the real world. It takes a lot of conditioning for troops to get to the point where they can kill a target without pause. Getting "buck fever" is the last possible thing anyone could want in such situation, so for that reason in particular, I think the gun is the less practical weapon. This problem is avoided if you use a less lethal self defence tool; the user knows they are unlikely to take a life, so there is a greater likelyhood that they won't give pause for thought before using it.

UFOROMANTIC

Nov 8, 2010
I see a lot of "d'awwww rape fantasy means they secretly want to be raped" business going on in here, and would like to clear up some myths about this.

First of all, yes, rape fantasy exists. From the (to keep things consistent with the rest of the article and thread, but is by no means limited to) woman's point of view, the rape fantasy is not one of being overpowered and harmed, bruised and cut, left teary and with possibly another man's unborn child. Rape fantasy is about being ravaged, swept away by irrepressible passion, passion that smashes the concepts of "yes" and "no", the lavishing of attention upon the "victim" by the "perpetrator". The violence and hostility inherent in the act of rape is seldom considered a part of the fantasy. They don't want to be hurt, they want the boning of a lifetime. This is what rape fantasy is about.

One has to take into consideration the psycho-sexual landscape of (let's go with for the purpose of our discussion) the United States. No means no, yes means yes. Simple enough.
But good girls don't say "yes" because those girls are sluts, and sluts are bad. So "no" can in fact be a stifled "yes" depending on the person who is being talked about, also depending upon the situation. That is what is known as "false modesty". Rape fantasy rises above convention, to see that no can be yes, in these situations, and to have the man instantly read the mind of the woman, and pounce, lavishing her with attention. These traits of passion and sensitivity to another's needs are considered highly prized among (many) females in (American) society, so it is a small wonder that, from an outsider's perspective, or to someone who wasn't entirely aware of all of the implications of rape, that such a fantasy could occur.

Of course, there are cases where it is a matter of power role-playing, much like BDSM is. Again, the crux of the pleasure attained in these situations is due to the force, the passion, less than the act itself.

This is a common fetish, and not a deviant behavior to act upon it within the consensual boundaries of an established relationship.

Let me hammer this home: just because you have a rape fetish does not mean that you actually want to be raped or to rape someone, as rape is harmful. It is seldom, very seldom the case that somebody should want to be hurt or hurt another in the context of the fantasy. And it's not weird.

I am a Sociology major minoring in Gender Studies. If you take issue with this explanation of the psychology of rape fantasy and fetishism, please feel free to IM me. In the mean time, I hope that this has cleared up some frankly disgusting ideas about the desire to be raped or to rape.

Ferrious

Made From Corpses
Jan 6, 2010
I'm completely in favour of this.

It's up to people to express themselves fully within the law. If females wish to dress in a way that is designed to attract a mate, they should be able to do so without fear of assault. In the same way if I (as a male) wish to dress in such a way as to attract a mate, I should also be free of fear.

The point of the walks is not so much "We want to dress like sluts" but more "The perpetrator is in the wrong, not the victim". In the same way, if I walk down the street I keep my phone in my pocket, but if I have to answer a call I don't expect to be violently mugged for it. That's the sentiment the officer expressed. He essentially said "Don't be attractive" as a response to being raped.

Or "Don't drive your car" as response to a car-jacking.

Or "Don't own a house" in response to being burgled.

Or "Don't live" in response to being murdered.

Your once and future Fanboy

The Norwegian One
Feb 11, 2009
I don't care how women want to look or what kind of attitude they want to project out to the world. Hey, it's their prerogative.
Unless they are the kind of chicks that dress themselves up at home thinking about how good their butt and/or cleavage will be noticed with these clothes, and then ***** about being looked at by men.

SwagLordYoloson

Jul 21, 2010
The solution is rapex, stock up on it, it may be a little uncomfortable at first but it has been working fine for me.