Small changes that f****ed up a sequel

Kadoodle

Nov 2, 2010
Have you ever been playing a sequel, and you notice one small detail that they removed?

Have you ever felt that removing that little mechanic detracted from the feel of that part of the game?

Here's an example. When playing AC: brotherhood, does anybody notice that when you go into a defensive stance, enemy attacks no longer grind off your sword as metal grinds metal? Now swords just slap together until you supermegaunblockablecccccccombobreaker death chain is initiated.

Another change introduced in the second game was that when you grabbed someone, you could hold on to them as long as you wanted, and you could slit their throat with a single button press. In the first game, you would grab, and shove in the desired direction. Removing such a mechanic made destroying market stalls and the wooden structures on the sides of buildings (drawing a blank on the name right now) by throwing an enemy through them obsolete. Enemies no longer grab and throw you. Your combo kills no longer get countered with a kick to the ground. Swordplay no longer feels reel, you don't have to use your environment to your advantage anymore.

Just removing a few small combat details made combat in Ezio's games tenfold easier than in the first game, and that is why I will always love the first game best.

Do you ever notice these sorts of things?

On a separate note, my captcha:

Oh lord Inglip, who hath been sleeping with mine private whore?

IT'S ERNARD

Praise your name, my Lord! I shall repay you with ernard's liver as a sacrifice!

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Oh mighty inglip... what do you demand from me today?
"Recustrate columbus"

what.

____
Mass Effect 2 was removing the feeling of an open world. It felt a lot more closed in. Then there's just the general dumbing down elements. It just left a poor taste in my mouth. Instead of fixing planet exploration, just cut it. then there's the inventory that although was clunky, was still a hell of a lot better then the alternative that mass effect 2 used.

May 5, 2010
OK, first of all: Obligatory Yahtzee Quote:[footnote]Don't take this personally, I do this to everyone.[/footnote]
*ahem* It's OK to swear on the internet, your moms not going to see it. She's too busy being fucked...BY ME.

Now that THAT'S over with, OT: The oversimplification of ME2. I mean, yes, a lot of the gear/weapons were pretty damn pointless in ME1, but that doesn't mean we have to dump the whole system completely. Hopefully ME3 finds some kind of middle ground in terms of complexity between 1&2. But closer to 1.

Blizzarded Soul

Jan 27, 2010
Yes combat does feel a little 'spam enemy until death is upon him'. However I like AC:Brotherhoods kill mechanic, it made me feel like a baddass assassin. Ezio has been killing people for most of his life, therefore the insta-kill executions work. His body has been honed into an instrument of death with ninja-like reflexes. You can grab and throw people into scaffoldings killing them instantly and enemies can grab you as well. I don't know if they throw you as I usually throw them off and them introduce their intestines to the outside word.

LWS666

[Speech: 100]
Nov 5, 2009
skate 3s lack of party play (and then the balls to add it back as DLC). it didn't ruin the game but it was pretty stupid. also, again skate 3, the fact that the entire world was now 3 chunks. i found it really fun in skate 2 to go from the top of the mountain to the harbour in one go.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Mass Effect 2 didn't have a proper Villain, no equivalent to Saren.
The game did other things that made it less great then the first one (IMO) but having no good villain is the biggest problem in my opinion.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
OK, first of all: Obligatory Yahtzee Quote:[footnote]Don't take this personally, I do this to everyone.[/footnote]
*ahem* It's OK to swear on the internet, your moms not going to see it. She's too busy being fucked...BY ME.

Now that THAT'S over with, OT: The oversimplification of ME2. I mean, yes, a lot of the gear/weapons were pretty damn pointless in ME1, but that doesn't mean we have to dump the whole system completely. Hopefully ME3 finds some kind of middle ground in terms of complexity between 1&2. But closer to 1.
This. But add that they took away the open world feel. ME felt like a galaxy, ME2 felt like a series of shooting galleries.

CoffeeOfDoom

Jun 3, 2009
What annoyed me about AC Brotherhood was getting the full synchronisation for each memory (for example, I have to kill an enemy a certain way or I won't fully synchronise).
It annoyed me because I liked the freedon in the first 2 games to play a mission how you wanted. I know that some missions in ACII had stricter requirements (like don't get spotted by guards), but Brotherhood had them on every mission, it really ruined Brotherhood for me.

Ophi

Jun 28, 2009
The destruction of proper support conversations in Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. Hands down, no question.

It was still great fun to play, the character development of minor characters just seemed... lacking compared to Path of Radiance and the GBA games.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Changing from hit scan to travel time hit detection from Halo 2 to Halo 3. Took one of the best feeling weapons in gaming history (Halo 2 Battle Rifle) and made it feel very clunky and inaccurate in the sequel. Admittedly it helped a tiny bit with the host advantage problem that was pervasive in Halo 2, but overall it was a terrible change that really made the game less enjoyable for me.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
For me it's usually not something they take away but rather something that they added.

For example, Smash Bros Melee -> Smash Bros Brawl: The addition of prat falls. What the hell is the point of those?!

And for another example, from Red Alert 3 -> the Uprising expansion: They added a few new units, but they were added to neutralize the pros and cons of each faction.

Assassin's Creed 2 -> Brotherhood: They added those STUPID secondary objectives that occasionally eluded me, but I was always so close that I had to repeatedly restart the missions from scratch, sometimes spending like 3 hours repeating the same mission over and over again because I was always a gnat's wing away from getting full synchronization.

May 28, 2009
dududf said:
Mass Effect 2 was removing the feeling of an open world. It felt a lot more closed in.
Really, just keeping the cutscenes and the ability to enter the Normandy's decon chamber would've done me. Planet exploration was cool too, but I'd at least have liked that.

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
Stammer said:
For me it's usually not something they take away but rather something that they added.

For example, Smash Bros Melee -> Smash Bros Brawl: The addition of prat falls. What the hell is the point of those?!

And for another example, from Red Alert 3 -> the Uprising expansion: They added a few new units, but they were added to neutralize the pros and cons of each faction.

Assassin's Creed 2 -> Brotherhood: They added those STUPID secondary objectives that occasionally eluded me, but I was always so close that I had to repeatedly restart the missions from scratch, sometimes spending like 3 hours repeating the same mission over and over again because I was always a gnat's wing away from getting full synchronization.
I think brawl was a big 'fuck you' to the hardcore fans who were trying to turn SSB in to Tekken. All the new over-powered, one-hit wonder shit seems to support that idea.

Gill Kaiser

Sep 3, 2008
Black and White 2's removal of the belief system, and its Creature being made into a programmable robot instead of a teachable AI pet.

OldGus

Feb 1, 2011
Kadoodle said:
the wooden structures on the sides of buildings (drawing a blank on the name right now)
Blizzarded Soul said:
scaffolding
Sol-ved
More seriously, a problem I had with Black-Ops actually. No co-op campaign. That was my favorite part of WAW, but I guess it was a one-off thing. Personally, I think it would have been awesome. Especially during the prison escape. Hell, doing that, you could have even given players different objectives, or even, idea here, made one player play Resnov. Imagine THAT at the end of Vorkuta.

sheah1

Jul 4, 2010
The degradation of property in Fable 3, wouldn't have been so bad if it had just given me a repair all button, or just told me that my property was broken, which it stopped doing after the first bloody time.

misterbobperson

Dec 5, 2010
actually mine is something that a sequel added.
Fear 2.
You could FIGHT OFF Alma when she comes around.
Alma was scary because she is omnipresent and because you're pretty sure she could kick your buttocks. In Fear 2 you now KNEW that you could fight her off so she wasn't scary at all.

In other words, zombies aren't scary, Pyramid Head is.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Lord Mountbatten Reborn said:
dududf said:
Mass Effect 2 was removing the feeling of an open world. It felt a lot more closed in.
Really, just keeping the cutscenes and the ability to enter the Normandy's decon chamber would've done me. Planet exploration was cool too, but I'd at least have liked that.
Although that would have helped, it would not be enough to phase the clamped in nature the game possessed.

sheah1

Jul 4, 2010
Oh, also, every single design decision in AC:B, god that was just an awful sequel, it's like they took all the terrible things from AC1 and added them to AC2, thankfully remembering to fuck up every single new idea as well (seriously, why the fuck won't you make it easier to pick up my great sword, make it glow or something at the very least). So glad I traded that in.