So a black actor is considering role of Johnny Storm and nerdrage has turned racist again.

Sherokain

Jan 11, 2013
gjkbgt said:
VMK said:
I think Brad Pitt should play Luke Cage. What? It will "add new depth to the character", or some other bull****.
how would that add new depth?
just curious how this works in your head.
He's being sarcastic my friend. Atleast i think he is.
Captcha: i love deadlines. yes captcha i know i have an exam tomorrow and im wasting my time on these forums but i need an hour to unwind after work. -_-

Sepko

Feb 16, 2010
Father Time said:
Zeldias said:
"OMG shut up, it's fine for Cumberbatch to be Khan even though it was a big deal that Khan wasn't a white guy."
"OMG shut up, it's fine that all the characters in Avatar: The Last Airbender movie are cast as white."
"OMG shut up, it's not realistic for there to be minorities here/it's just normal/deal with it/etc etc."

"OMG WTF, A MINORITY IS GONNA BE CAST AS A CHARACTER THAT WAS ORIGINALLY WHITE? HOW DARE YOU!?"

I love the smell of racist, white supremacist hypocrisy in the morning.
I think it's coming from your straw man.
Pretty sure that's not a straw man.

Sepko

Feb 16, 2010
ninjaRiv said:
Also, I feel like I should be "that guy" and point out that there's a difference between being racist and just not wanting a black guy playing a white character.
Unless your argument is one of these points then I suppose there is a difference.
http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/the-5-most-insulting-defenses-nerd-racism/

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Am I the only one too distracted by the fact the Fantastic Four suck to even start caring about their casting?

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
Sepko said:
Father Time said:
Zeldias said:
"OMG shut up, it's fine for Cumberbatch to be Khan even though it was a big deal that Khan wasn't a white guy."
"OMG shut up, it's fine that all the characters in Avatar: The Last Airbender movie are cast as white."
"OMG shut up, it's not realistic for there to be minorities here/it's just normal/deal with it/etc etc."

"OMG WTF, A MINORITY IS GONNA BE CAST AS A CHARACTER THAT WAS ORIGINALLY WHITE? HOW DARE YOU!?"

I love the smell of racist, white supremacist hypocrisy in the morning.
I think it's coming from your straw man.
Pretty sure that's not a straw man.
Zeldia is assuming everyone's the same and we're all racist so, at the very least, it's fucking stupid and a terrible argument/point

Sepko

Feb 16, 2010
Father Time said:
Edit: Seriously if the best you can do is "I'm going to assume everyone arguing this also believes these other things, that way I can call them hypocrites instead of addressing their points", you should just go.

Because 2 can play that game.

"How dare you make the people in the last airbender white, that's racist"
"ZOMG stop complaining about this white guy being played by a black guy, racists"
Oh, you added more.
And this is bad because....

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
Sepko said:
ninjaRiv said:
Also, I feel like I should be "that guy" and point out that there's a difference between being racist and just not wanting a black guy playing a white character.
Unless your argument is one of these points then I suppose there is a difference.
Mine is not. At all.

Sepko

Feb 16, 2010
ninjaRiv said:
Sepko said:
ninjaRiv said:
Mine is not. At all.
Are you suuuuuuuuuuuuuure?

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Sepko said:
Strain42 said:
It's not white washing if you don't get a white actor. If there was an Asian Luke Cage, or a Latin John Stewart it would still cause the same discussion. It's still needlessly changing the race of an established character. I'm not saying that it's automatically a bad thing. Just that it's needless. And I think it's a bit unfair that someone should be considered a racist just because they feel it would be equally needless to change a white character as much as a character of any other race.
As much as we'd like to live in a perfect world of perfect equality and happiness, that's not the case. There are more white characters in western media than there are any other races combined. Does it have to be needless to try something new with a character, who's skin colour is about as interchangeable as their costume? Does it matter if it's needless? Is it going to dramatically change anything? It doesn't matter. At all. And that's fine. It's not the end of the world. It doesn't mean they shouldn't do it in the first place as well. Because it doesn't matter, allegedly.
That's sort of my point. It doesn't matter, therefore it is needless. It's true there is little reason why they "shouldn't do it in the first place" but you can just as easily say there isn't really any reason why they should. The only argument I've heard for why they "should" would be to add diversity to Hollywood, but Hollywood could easily do that without changing existing characters.

How many popcorn action movies come out every single year that have new and original characters that could have easily been non-white from the start? How about we work on these rather than changing existing characters?

I'm not going to deny for a second that there aren't more white characters than any other race out there in most western media, but that doesn't mean the solution to this is to take established characters and change them.

But like you said, and I agree with you, it's basically pointless.

In my eyes if an actor does a good job with the role, it's fine.

I'm sure when auditions were held for Heimdall, they hired Idris Elba because he did the best job, and it showed in the film because he was awesome.

I'm hoping if Michael B. Jordan gets cast as Human Torch, it'll be because he auditioned fairly and was the best choice for the part. Not because the director is already his friend and certainly not for the sole purpose of trying to add some diversity.

And if he turns out to do a good job, I will come out of that theater opening day saying he did a good job. If he does a good job I'm not gonna walk out of the theater going "but why was he black?"

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
Sepko said:
ninjaRiv said:
Sepko said:
ninjaRiv said:
Mine is not. At all.
Are you suuuuuuuuuuuuuure?
Very sure. Positive. So sure it hurts. My argument is that there are plenty of great black characters out there to adapt, just like there are plenty of white actors who are capable of playing the role as well as the many fantastic (see what I did there? Fantastic) black actors who would no doubt play the role excellently. Would does it need to be a black actor? I mean, this is all speculation, of course; we might have Daniel Radcliffe as Johnny for all we know (also stupid).

There's no need to change the characters ethnicity just because... because why? Because a black actor shows an interest? No other actor showed an interest, then? Because it would give black people a role model? Yes, that's right, black folk you can be white, too! I'd rather have a Black panther movie over this, any day.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
Sepko said:
"Oh no! I'm too distracted by different coloured siblings I can't concentrate on the movie!"
I get your point and before you say anything about recessive genes "yes I know", but the fact remains it will look weird. As long as they make Susan Storm (or whatever mr fantastic's wife is called) a black person too there shouldn't be an issue, but if she's white with a black guy supposedly as her brother then, obviously he will look like the token black guy.

Chaos Incarnate

Swiggity Swag
Jan 31, 2010
You guys all remember Idris Elba as Heimdall? Yeah, he was fucking badass I say give anybody a chance to make a unique version of a character rather than what we've seen for the past 70 years in comic books.

Kanova

Oct 26, 2011
Its like they are just making him black because they want a black guy. Disagree. Make a movie starring a black hero instead.

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
Tombsite said:
Well if they also make Sue Storm black then I don't really have a problem with it. But I can see where some people are coming from. If you really want your superhero's to look like they do in the comic then switching race is something you will disagree with. Same with different hair colour (Imagine the reaction to a blond Jean Gray) or costume.
Why? Because a multiracial family is all of a sudden weird and immersion breaking?

And no offence, but comics change the look of characters all the damn time. Just compare classic Nick Fury with Ultimate Nick Fury.

Sepko

Feb 16, 2010
ninjaRiv said:
there are plenty of great black characters out there to adapt
Name 3 black superheroes that're well-known to the public outside of comic geekdom that would get a considerable amount of butts in seats who isn't Spawn.

ninjaRiv said:
There's no need to change the characters ethnicity just because... because why?
Because why not? Shake up the formula a bit, having Johnny as a black guy isn't gonna end the universe.

ninjaRiv said:
Because it would give black people a role model? Yes, that's right, black folk you can be white, too!
Implying that Johnny Storm's personality is somehow linked to his whiteness. Also, really? Really? We're doing that here?