So do you ever type out a post and then change your mind and delete it?

rayen020

May 20, 2009
Usually i hit the doesn't need to be said/difficult to articluate/stoopidpoint in the middle typing of a bunch of my posts. I don't usually get the whole thing hammered out then not post.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I was going to respond that I do it all the time, but there's already two pages of people saying the same thing.

Wicky_42 said:
I was gonna respond but...

EDIT: ok, so yeah, most of the time I just realise that there's little point adding to a 2+ page thread; no-one will read it unless it's a direct quote, no-one cares, and the last thing the internet needs is censorship... though another meaningless opinion is up there in the list.

*adds to 2+ page thread, gets read by no-one... and nothing of value was lost >.>*
I'm one of the crazy people who reads entire threads before posting. It probably contributes to my closing tabs after having typed out two-three paragraphs. Though most of the time I delete it because I feel it's not worth it to have pointless arguments with people I've never met over the internet, and a lot of people take things entirely too seriously even here on The Escapist.

matsugawa

Mar 18, 2009
I don't do it that often, but only because I tend to sweat over every word I write anyway, regardless of what it is (even this reply, to a somewhat lesser degree).

Frankly, I wish more people would; at least they'd be thinking about what they write before they hit "post." I keep hearing these little (insert your favorite expletive here) make the ol' "I write the way I think" or some other shoot-from-the-hip declaration that's supposed to make me respect them, albeit it just makes me think less of them because they're essentially slaves to their impulses. You can't expect to be taken seriously if you can't write.

Really, people should just trust their intuition.

Shockolate

Feb 27, 2010
I'd have at least 1000 more posts easily if I didn't.

Probably be banned a few times over too.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
I feel bad when I don't respond to someone who quotes me in a debate but sometimes I feel like "do I really need to argue about this when there is really nothing new to say". So I don't respond and I feel bad but I know it's for the best not to keep saying "but it has always online DRM!!!!!!!!!" again and again.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Casual Shinji said:
Often.

Usually under the guise of, "What the fuck am I doing here (this forum)? Who cares what I have to say about this shit?!"
Me too. I know my opinion is important TO ME but probably not to others. Still, I like to be social otherwise I wouldn't be here at all. This is the only forum I post on anymore but I read forums all over the internet. I like to read what other people think about things but often not willing to give my own.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
shrekfan246 said:
I was going to respond that I do it all the time, but there's already two pages of people saying the same thing.

Wicky_42 said:
I was gonna respond but...

EDIT: ok, so yeah, most of the time I just realise that there's little point adding to a 2+ page thread; no-one will read it unless it's a direct quote, no-one cares, and the last thing the internet needs is censorship... though another meaningless opinion is up there in the list.

*adds to 2+ page thread, gets read by no-one... and nothing of value was lost >.>*
I'm one of the crazy people who reads entire threads before posting. It probably contributes to my closing tabs after having typed out two-three paragraphs. Though most of the time I delete it because I feel it's not worth it to have pointless arguments with people I've never met over the internet, and a lot of people take things entirely too seriously even here on The Escapist.
1) having pointless arguments is the one of the only two reasons to post on a thread - how dare you demean them!
2) you obviously don't take your posting seriously enough - words are serious business, as you should know with your reading of entire threads and stuff!

hurr, arg
>.>

<.<

[sub]thank you for validating my existence![/sub]

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Crono1973 said:
Casual Shinji said:
Often.

Usually under the guise of, "What the fuck am I doing here (this forum)? Who cares what I have to say about this shit?!"
Me too. I know my opinion is important TO ME but probably not to others. Still, I like to be social otherwise I wouldn't be here at all. This is the only forum I post on anymore but I read forums all over the internet. I like to read what other people think about things but often not willing to give my own.
Oddly enough I was all giddy and enthusiastic, posting anywhere and anything, when I had just joined on this site.

But now, I feel like an old man who's become too old and tired to post anything.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
Yes, but not often enough. >_>

I actually often dictate angry letters or speeches silently in my mind when something/someone has upset me. It usually helps me calm down.

Takuanuva

Jun 12, 2011
*After writing a huge post and deleting it immediatelly after around 5 times*
...sometimes?
I tend to think about the consequences of my actions A LOT. I almost always regret my decisions (even the good ones) because of that. And if I'm about to write something...let's say, that I end up wasting 10 minutes writing a post that I know I will delete from the moment I started writing it...all of that just because I find it a little bit inapropriate in the given situation.
[sub]Also, some people are f***ing morons who just couldn't understand what I said to them, so it would be pointless to waste my mental health on trying to write a post which meaning they could fit in their tiny little brains.[/sub]

CarbonEagle

Apr 19, 2008
All the time, but usually because I cant get it to sound right and don't want to deal with the backlash of people misunderstanding (Which happens way to much on the internet. People should try to figure out what others mean instead of what they can yell about )

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Wicky_42 said:
1) having pointless arguments is the one of the only two reasons to post on a thread - how dare you demean them!
2) you obviously don't take your posting seriously enough - words are serious business, as you should know with your reading of entire threads and stuff!

hurr, arg
>.>

<.<

[sub]thank you for validating my existence![/sub]
I just did what this thread was created to ask. I had this massive, bloated meat pie of a post and decided it wasn't worth it to post it. My other reason for deleting them is actually directly related to your point 2. I take my posting far too seriously.

I tend to type out overblown text-heavy posts that somehow still don't add much to the discussion or have already been said before. Being nonsensical is good and all, but I don't like being painted in a negative light.[footnote]Please note, I am pretty sure that you were being facetious, and I did get a good chuckle out of your post.[/footnote]

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
Heh, yeah, all the time.
Usually because either I think I sound too serious or too aggressive and I can't be bothered to think of another way to phrase it. Or because I'm annoyed at a post or someone posting in the post but decide they're not worth the time.

Foxbat Flyer

Jul 9, 2009
All the freaking time... I usually type it up, then realise the 50+ people before me alreay said that same damn thing... or i say things that are a bit "Controversial" that i reallise could easily get me banned or into an argument

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Not really but I should sometimes.

I have opinions and not always good ones but I say them anyway. Sometimes i'm wrong and someone corrects me and it's usually something I knew to be wrong but didn't engage brain before posting.

I treat my posts like I would a normal conversation. If I cared enough to read someone else's thoughts then I should at least add my own whether they be right or wrong. Much like if I listened to someone speak i'd reply rather than ignore them.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I'd have at least 50% more posts if I didn't.

Curiously, I never do that to small, stupid posts like this one, always huge posts that took a long time to type and provide a reasonable viewpoint. Then I'm like, meh, and delete it.

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
If a Captcha shows up more than once a day, I avoid posting anything else for the entire day. They annoy me more than anything else on the site, and I'll be damned if I'm going to visit a site where I have to type it every 2 or 3 posts.

Apparently it's more important to get me to transcribe a jumbled fucking mess than it is to hear what I have to say.