So how is Deus Ex: Human Revolution?

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
The series now contains two of the best games of all time it would seem. That is quite an accomplishment.

Trololo Punk

May 14, 2011
I never played original unfortunately, but for a new comer to the series, its a great game. I've really enjoyed it so far.

Khravv

Jun 8, 2011
Yeah, well as many people have already said, it is pretty darn good.
Sure, it ain't perfect.
Load times are ridiculous, though the game is great enough I usually am able to tolerate it.
It is HARD, but the good, challenging, make you think sort of hard.
The augments are fantastic, and very noticeable.
I've yet to have a moment where I augmented something and then though "well that didn't change anything."
It is also really cool seeing how many options are available for each situation, especially in regards to specific augments (I'm at a point where I've passed so many different routes perfect for the Icarus landing system that I'm really wishing I had gotten it.)

The only downside is that because it gives such incredible freedom at some points, the places where there isn't as much freedom seem to stick out a bit more.
For instance, there are several cutscenes where I felt like Jensen behaved far too gullible, and if I had been in control I wouldn't have done or said the things he did (or in some cases did not) say or do.
Now that being said, these scenes are still good, and BY NO MEANS ruin the game, IMHO, but came close to annoying a bit.
And some side missions require certain augments to finish. One side mission required a level 3 hacking skill, and there really wasn't any way around that.
I guess the question then lands on "Does every mission need to be able to be completed by any playstyle?"
I'm not really sure actually. Part of me was bothered that if I didn't spend Praxis on hacking, I couldn't beat it. Part of me though found that same frustration to be... realistic. That it fit the real truth that in a realistic world, you can't do everything.

In the end though, while it has its odd things (the control system is... different, but not bad, if you have played Rainbow 6 Vegas then it won't be that different) when everything adds up, the good outweighs the bad by an incredible amount.
It is a fantastic well made game, a blast to play, great thinking segments, and one of the first games in a long time where I felt my actually really DID matter.
For instance, (potential SPOILER)
I chose to let a man live who I could have killed, and afterwards I got a lot of criticism from other characters about it. However much later in the game that same character showed up again and provided a PDA full of access codes which saved my hindquarters later on in the game.
I haven't finished it just yet, but so far it has proven to be really fun, really engaging, and REALLY challenging.

And in regards to comments about 'running and gunning' it is still possible to go for a full combat tactic in this game, but don't try that MW-commando junk. It'll get you killed. DX:HR is a game about tactics, plans, thinking, etc. Use cover, upgrade weapons and weapon related skills, get some dermal armor, and then plan how to kill everyone as fast as you can, because the enemy will flank you, grenade you, and pin you down if you mess around.

LordDPS

Jun 4, 2010
l
EHKOS said:
I would like to ask...why is Adams chin so damn pointy?
like most of his body Adam's chin is a lethal weapon used to stab people in the face...i think

gery900

Mar 8, 2011
Liked the first one?
Pick it.
Never heard of Deus Ex?
Better to check out what Deus ex (the original) is and how it plays, like it somewhat?
Pick it.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I have only seen vids on the youtube but my main complaint so far from them, the game looks boring as sin and the animation looks like it hasn't been improved much.

I have just seen a woman answer a phone in game and it looked like she had a totally open palm, with her palm right next to her ear and just talking into her hand.

Just looks very awkward and San Andreas era style animation.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
omega 616 said:
I have only seen vids on the youtube but my main complaint so far from them, the game looks boring as sin and the animation looks like it hasn't been improved much.

I have just seen a woman answer a phone in game and it looked like she had a totally open palm, with her palm right next to her ear and just talking into her hand.

Just looks very awkward and San Andreas era style animation.
You tend not to notice this shit when playing it as the story is pretty compelling.

OT: If you're a fan of tactical gameplay, go for it.

If you expect to run into a room guns blazing, be prepared to die a lot. You can't play this game like CoD. You have to play this game like ME2 with a somewhat rudimentary stealth system.

A tip for new players, if you want to go the combat route, always open up with a grenade(any grenade except EMP) and don't be afraid to retreat to some place where they don't know where you are then re-engage.

Stealthy combat is also good. A silenced 10mm pistol with the AP upgrade(plus a damage upgrade or two) kicks major ass with minimal noise. If you plan it right, you can kill everyone and never be seen.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
- Loading screens are looooooooooooooooooooong.
- Mouse behaviour is frustratingly bad, to the point where it makes me suspect that it's a hint to not go rambo. I still can't get a headshot off without 3 seconds of aiming.
- NPC's act like nervous spazzers during conversations.
- Adam loses all higher brain functions as soon as a cutscene starts.
- Boss fights on a stealth playthrough are extremely annoying, and completely jerk you out of the flow.

Oh, and did I mention it's fucking awesome? If not, let me do it now.

It Is Fucking Awesome.

Period.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Souplex said:
Enamour said:
Souplex said:
A bit too stealthy to be called great, but it's pretty good.
What!
It's pretty darn focused on being stealthy. That kills a lot of the fun.
When I buy an RPG, I expect to be able to play it my way, but you get significantly more EXP for being stealthy, and your health is so pitiful that stealth is pretty much the entire option.
As scientists have pointed out for years:
Stealth =/= Fun.
It only requires some stealth nearer the beginning. A couple of weapon mods and augs and you should be well on your way to shooting everything in sight.

OT: Just finished it. Going to start a new game tomorrow. Should tell you everything.

Only real issue is the boss fights. Other than that... well, err... the map is a little unclear on where you have to go, like... twice.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
the only bad things i can say are the load times are too long (understandable given the level size and details) and the difficulty has an odd tendency to spike without warning.

SecretSmoke

Jan 29, 2009
Dirty Hipsters said:
Great game, but GAHHH, too many buttons needed for controlling it.

I've been thinking that I need a new mouse for gaming, one with a bunch of programmable buttons, and this game definitely proved me right. After playing this game for about an hour I went on Amazon and purchased a new mouse I've had my eye on. Just couldn't stand that I couldn't get the cloak button any closer to my hand than putting it on F1. That's too far to reach in combat damn it!

Anyway, hoping that a new mouse and new mouse drivers will also help to floaty feeling of the mouse.
I use Z for cloak, x for stealth run, and V for vision :D. But I favor wierd controls.

pha kin su pah

Mar 26, 2008
when i realised that i had to wait for a melee cooldown while i sat behind a guy to stun him and move on, i returned the game.

aaronobst

Needs a life
Aug 20, 2010
pha kin su pah said:
when i realised that i had to wait for a melee cooldown while i sat behind a guy to stun him and move on, i returned the game.
Please tell me you are joking

OT: It's fantastic... Regardless which version you pick up

mental_looney

Apr 29, 2008
It's awesome, there are a few issues on xbox like lock ups when getting achievements and a few audio issues with the dialogue.
Really fun though lots of side quests and really enjoying hacking lots of different choices to make with your augments. Overall though it's a really good solid game, I never played the first one so I don't think you need to in order to enjoy the game.

Grottnikk

Mar 19, 2008
I've played it through once in a run-n-gun fashion for the action sequences and had a blast with it. Now I'm going for the "don't kill anyone" and "don't raise any alarms" achievements on play-through #2. I've thoroughly enjoyed it thus far.