So how is Deus Ex: Human Revolution?

rehevkor

Mar 19, 2008
It's awesome. Very close to the original Deus Ex (still fresh in my find having played through it fairly recently). I've got it on the PC and I've been loving it, playing the non-lethal stealth route (non lethal is a much better than it was in the original game). The PC version does seem to have a few issues, but nothing major. Load times don't seem to be above average for me.

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
The loading times are a tad too long and occasionally the game tells you to go fuck yourself when you are supposed to be playing stealth by forcing you to use lethal weapons on the bosses.

But when it's good. It's REALLY good.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Googenstien said:
I think I am going to grab it.. heard nothing but good shit about it so far. II just hope the differences among the specs are really all that different so you want to replay the game different ways.
The only problem with the different ways you can aug your character is that XP in the game is biased toward stealth. You get XP for not being seen by enemies, you get XP for not setting off any alarms, you get more XP for taking out enemies in a non-lethal fashion. You can still play however you'd like, but you'll get more of what you want, faster, if you're stealthy.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is an amazing game. I highly recommend it.

Drummie666 said:
The loading times are a tad too long and occasionally the game tells you to go fuck yourself when you are supposed to be playing stealth by forcing you to use lethal weapons on the bosses.

But when it's good. It's REALLY good.
Btw, this is the exact reason I carry an upgraded pistol at all times. All boss fights provide you with weapons(albeit weak, unupgraded weapons, but weapons nonetheless) so I just carry the pistol and stun gun with me so I can grab extra stuff to sell off. Pistol's to cause a little bit of damage while I scurry around looking for weapons. xP

AceTrilby

Dec 24, 2008
I just finished it, and I thought the experience was fantastic - pretty much all the reasons why have been covered already.

On the subject of the boss fights - I was a stealth-hacker type and aside from the first boss, none of them were really all THAT challenging, and I never upgraded my combat skills.

Couple of tips for bosses:

Barrett: I preordered, so I had plenty of UR-DEDs in my pack, so my advise is to take cover, stun Barrett and then spam explosives at him. Whittled him down in no time - double barrel to the face didn't work as well as this.

Federova: Shoot electrical boxes on walls to stun, and use the heavy rifle and reams of ammo that were stashed nearby.

Namir: I advise picking up a grenade launcher ASAP (Tong gives you one after finishing a mission, I think), and spam the hell out of him.

Minority Report future girls: Run around close to the base of the column opening the pods - one full revolver will generally kill each one. If any crazies get close, toss a gas grenade. Smash the screen quickly with explosives and use your weopon of choice to kill the ***** at the top.

Simple! :D

Just make sure to carry a good lethal weapon and it's cake.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
I cannot really say anything bad about the game whatsoever. There's the long loading times, but they don't really count seeing how they aren't a part of gameplay. (Unless you're a save-scummer like me.)

I'm glad to see that Squeenix hasn't meddled in the game's development. Kudos to you, Square. :)

Shraggler

Jan 6, 2009
Man, it is fun as shit. This coming from someone who rarely finishes games. I still have Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, The Witcher 2, Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age 2 that have yet to be completed. I usually get bored or, more often, don't have time. With Human Revolution I'm making time.

I wasn't expecting much to be honest. I felt, and still feel, like the golden age of (PC) gaming was in the late 90's/early 2000's when Nvidia and ATI were on the rise and 3Dfx was king.

When it was released, I played the first Deus Ex at a friend's house because I was a broke, lower-middle-class asshole who couldn't afford shit and smarmed my way over to their house just to see them play it. When I got a chance to jam, I was totally taken by the game. I was just like, "Holy shit, this is what a game should be."

Now with games getting more press and extremely hyped, only to fall far short of nostalgic expectations (mostly due to the fact that many games are marketed towards consoles whose expectations haven't been perverted by the quality we had back in the day on PC), I was a bit cautious about getting excited for DE:HR. I'd forgotten that I'd bought my copy in advance months ago (shows how 'in' I am with the gaming world) and only realized the day before release after a friend mentioned it.

I went in on the easiest mode simply because I like to get more involved with the story and less involved with running around searching for ammo. It's still difficult. You can't survive encounters with tons of dudes unless you've got the controls down. You need to hide and sprint everywhere when they've got a bead on you.

The stealth is excellent, as it should be coming from the remnants of the Thief franchise. It really mimics the intensity of Thief as Yahtzee described in his video on the series - when some dude is 'Altered' and comes waltzing around where you're hiding, breaking up his patterned patrol path in the process so you don't know where he's gonna look. Sniper patrols and cameras also make this interesting. Robots/mechs make it 'Terminator'-like scary.

You're fairly vulnerable, but as you get more augmentations there are ways to mitigate your chances of encountering bullets, whether physically or otherwise - your choice.

Gameplay is pretty diverse. You can go in gun's blazing or go completely unnoticed. I've opted for the latter because I like the real feelings of tension and suspense it brings. However, you don't need to stick with that one way. You can swap between to two at almost any point in the game.

There are many ways around obstacles such as enemies and door-locks/keypads. For example, I had to get a guy out of a room that was locked. I didn't know the code and didn't want to waste one of my hacking disposables on a side-quest. So I just shot the door, guessing and hoping that the AI would be smart enough to notice sounds outside of the room. The guy and his bodyguard came out to investigate. I downed 'em both non-lethal style.

I definitely recommend this game. I think I've got about 10-15 hours clocked on Steam so far and have only started the process of moving to the second major city.

The above, however, coming from someone who has purchased both DE:HR and RO:2. Both games appear to break the mould. I don't envy the decision OP.

EDIT: I just looked up 'mould' (because it's red squiggly) and every online dictionary says "Chiefly British" - is that not how to spell mould? The alternative doesn't look right to me: 'mold'. With 'mold' I think of the growth you get on a loaf of bread after a week in the sun; with 'mould' I get the distinct definition of shaping or malleating, which is what I intended. Is that just me, or does the 'u' give the word a sense of 'shape'?

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Pretty good, except stealth is damn dodgy at times. I've had guys see me when they are searching a desk and looking straight down at the desk. Also, they seem to be able to see you through clutter on top of cover as well. I swear that Jensen's haircut has given me away more often than not. Also, don't know if it's just me but the damn Tranquilizer Rifle keeps shooting to the right of my crosshairs, regardless of range. Other than than, hacking is fun once you get the gist of it and the conversation system while not deep is entertaining.

TorchofThanatos

Dec 6, 2010
I like the game but hacking is far to important. So many side quest need it and high levels too. One of my side quest need level three.

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
I dunno, it seems like the kindof game that gets better when you over analyze it. While it did feel really rewarding to get passed a room without anyone noticing, the amount of traveling and loading times (multiplied by how many times they stuck me in an auto save death trap) kinda made it feel more frustrating rather than fun. I spend most of my late nights playing it not because I wanted to see what happened next, but because I just wanted to beat the game and be done with it.

I had bought Bastion the previous week and I had more fun with that.

Accountfailed

May 27, 2009
Skorpyo said:
Take the awesomeness of the original, take all the good parts of Mass Effect 2 and Alpha Protocol, and you're pretty much there.

It's really, really good. I've yet to find much to complain about.
There were good parts to alpha protocol!?

stutheninja

Oct 27, 2009
it is excellent, you might break your controller over your knee if you are stealth oriented and you get to the boss fights, but other than that, excellent

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Accountfailed said:
Skorpyo said:
Take the awesomeness of the original, take all the good parts of Mass Effect 2 and Alpha Protocol, and you're pretty much there.

There were good parts to alpha protocol!?
The conversation system was pretty damn good. The game changed drastically depending on your dialogue choices, something I think Human Revolution did pretty well. Alpha Protocol was pretty good, if a bit clunky, in my opinion.

OT: After finishing it, I can say Human Revolution is absolutely brilliant. My only complaint is with the bosses, and even then they're so brief and easy (If you have an EMP grenade) that I can't complain that much about them. So far, it's probably the best game I've played this year, and it's one of the few instances where the game actually lived up to the hype.

aeroblaster

Nov 10, 2009
Here's how it really is.

Gameplay - Good
Graphics - circa 2005 (looks 6 years dated)
Shortcomings - Very glitchy and there are many of them that will stop you from ever finishing the game. (restarting the game after 20 hours really wanted to make me just sell it)
Boss fights also suck because it changes the way the game is in a very awkward suddenness.

(Imagine playing Pokemon and entering a gym changed it radically to L.A. Noire-Halo 7)

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
AceTrilby said:
I just finished it, and I thought the experience was fantastic - pretty much all the reasons why have been covered already.

On the subject of the boss fights - I was a stealth-hacker type and aside from the first boss, none of them were really all THAT challenging, and I never upgraded my combat skills.

Couple of tips for bosses:

Barrett: I preordered, so I had plenty of UR-DEDs in my pack, so my advise is to take cover, stun Barrett and then spam explosives at him. Whittled him down in no time - double barrel to the face didn't work as well as this.

Federova: Shoot electrical boxes on walls to stun, and use the heavy rifle and reams of ammo that were stashed nearby.

Namir: I advise picking up a grenade launcher ASAP (Tong gives you one after finishing a mission, I think), and spam the hell out of him.

Minority Report future girls: Run around close to the base of the column opening the pods - one full revolver will generally kill each one. If any crazies get close, toss a gas grenade. Smash the screen quickly with explosives and use your weopon of choice to kill the ***** at the top.

Simple! :D

Just make sure to carry a good lethal weapon and it's cake.
Or if you have master hacking you could hack one of the terminals and shut off life support. Master hacking + Electric Immunity + EMP grenades make the final boss extremely easy. So easy in fact i didn't know what i was doing.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
Ed130 said:
sumanoskae said:
And once the guards are knocked out, the sheer reality altering power of your ineptitude will apparently prevent you from capping them through the fucking skull.
You sure about that? I'm pretty sure you can kill downed people. (EDIT: yes you can kill unconscious people and make them do "the ragdoll dance")

sumanoskae said:
There was this one quest that could only be completed with an upgraded hacking skill, but the game didn't let me know that until I had slaughtered my way through the police station trying to get to it, having jumped through all the other quest hoops along the way.
Was this the quest to get the chip from the dead hacker? Because I just walked in and grabbed it, (had to talk a guy into letting me in although.)
No, it was the quest that Megan's mother gave you.

I knocked some guy out by accident, shot him in the head, and it still said he was knocked out.

Aeriath

Sep 10, 2009
Skorpyo said:

Since you brought up AP: I've yet to play this, but my impression from what I've heard is that it's basically like if Alpha Protocol had actually been polished a considerable amount. That sound right to you?
Gameplay wise that would be right on the money. The shooting/stealth is a little more refined and the hacking/speech systems are greatly improved. Deus Ex also heaps a ton of style on top of this, and I enjoyed the story more.

I've seen a few reports of long load times but never experienced this myself. I also agree that the boss fights are out of place, expecially if you are playing a stealth character.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
It is an awesome game sometimes the "detective" parts can drag slighty.But its a stealth game that feels like a stealth game no part where the game goes "oh you know all that sneaking you been putting your points in now time to have a full on shoot out now that you are not balanced for.

Yes you can have massive shoot outs with people but its up to you and also the game is very clever.