So how is Deus Ex: Human Revolution?

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Fun. So, I shoot a guy, hide. They look for me then back off, I go out, shoot a guy, repeat.

Snickering as they swear at me and say they're gone to find me.

Ah, good times. I killed 'em all.

Kinda funny. I get back from a mission, only to get a mission, then another mission. So I go to take care of one mission, I leave the building and this woman walks up and sends me on a mission, where I talk to a guy, getting me 3 more missions.

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
To anyone who's played it: Is there any truth to the claim that it's far too easy? I like a challenge and if it's really easy there's no point in buying it.

FreakSheet

Jul 16, 2011
I love just watching a group of guards, wondering how to take them down silently, without anyone noticing. And there are tons of methods for confronting a situation. Early on, I screwed up the conversation with the police secretary (b*tch.) and had to sneak through the police station to find the code. If that conversation had gone better, I could have avoided so much, its cool. Same with later, I "won" the conversation with the guy against augs, and he gave me what I wanted. In the room, I noticed a vent and a computer. Had I screwed that up, I would have had a much larger task on my hands. You don't see that kind of stuff anywhere else. That's what I love about it.

FreakSheet

Jul 16, 2011
A Weary Exile said:
To anyone who's played it: Is there any truth to the claim that it's far too easy? I like a challenge and if it's really easy there's no point in buying it.
I don't know who would say its easy. On medium, at lowest armour augs you are WEAK. Guns a blazing will not work. Whether you go stealth or head on, you must plan and decide how it will go down. For head on, maybe snipe the heavy artillery man, then head shot the others. Or use a gas gernade to confuse them, while getting a new position to take them out on.

I prefer Stealth, as I find the greatest show of skill being able to get by undetected, and only taking down guards when you absolutely cannot avoid them.

zarguhl

Oct 4, 2010
It's very good, but I can't stand cover based shooting. It was designed to compensate for console's shit controllers. On the PC it's just lame.

Other than that though, it's awesome.

Lawlhat

Mar 17, 2009
I actually liked the voice acting (Mostly. Some parts were so bad they made me cringe). The writing is pretty solid in my opinion too.

The gameplay's very good and it kept me engaged to the end. Then again, I'm very easily entertained.

Mechdriver

Aug 27, 2011
It is a very stealth based game which I'm not very fond of but enemies aren't invincible and aren't super sharp shooters so the direct approach is always an option. They pulled of the hacking mini-game very well, it's fun without overstaying it's welcome. It's also a very nice fps/cover shooter hybrid. Switching to and from is very fluid and being behind cover doesn't initiate "god mode" or anything like that.

I'm nearing the end of the first chapter and I like the story a lot. It's immersive and believable. While yes, the lip syncing isn't too great and "Jensen's" voice seems to be always set on "just smoked all of the cigarettes ever" these are minor flaws that are easily looked over.

I play on the PC and the mouse seemed to sensitive and the load times were a bit too long but they've recently released a patch to fix those two issues.

In short, I went in not knowing what to expect and I found a brilliant world.

zarguhl

Oct 4, 2010
Zekksta said:
So far in this thread all I'm seeing is how easy stealth is when compared to running and gunning.
I haven't found that. I don't try to play either way, I just do whatever seems best when I feel like it. I've found some areas easier to stealth, others easier to shoot past. Or sometimes stealth to get into a perfect position... THEN KILL THEM ALL!!!

There's variety. :)

Sean Steele

Mar 30, 2010
It really pisses me off anytime there is a real major decision in the game that might seriously affect the outcome of an event the game yoinks the controller away from me and goes. "My turn to play now I'm going to navigate your stupid ass right into that ambush."

FreakSheet

Jul 16, 2011
Zekksta said:
FreakSheet said:
I prefer Stealth, as I find the greatest show of skill being able to get by undetected, and only taking down guards when you absolutely cannot avoid them.
So far in this thread all I'm seeing is how easy stealth is when compared to running and gunning.

I'm buying it next week, hopefully the stealth gameplay isn't stupidly easy or I'll feel pretty ripped off.
Its not easy per se, but you have to think, and plan. Once you have a plan, all that's left is the execution.

Sometimes my plan works out great, other times... well... I guess a sniper rifle wasn't as quiet as I hoped...

I'll just say that the room full of about 15 guards didn't appreciate me sniping their most heavily armed soldier...

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
The best game of this console generation... I'm in no way kidding what so ever... not as good as the original... surpasses it in certain ways but is no where near as well designed... but still an amazing game in it's own right...<.<

Mechdriver

Aug 27, 2011
Sacman said:
The best game of this console generation... I'm in no way kidding what so ever... not as good as the original... surpasses it in certain ways but is no where near as well designed... but still an amazing game in it's own right...<.<
I respectfully disagree. That title belongs to Batman: Arkham Asylum until Batman: Arkham City takes us out on the town. x)

TheRocketeer

Intolerable Bore
Dec 24, 2009
Deus Ex: Human Revolution is fantastic, period. A deep, thought-provoking game that is very fun to play, longer than average, large and interesting levels, engrossing setting, and offers broad, meaningful choice to the player... Eidos accomplished everything it set out to do with this game with tremendous success. This is the kind of game a lot of people have been waiting for.

Also, Francis Pritchard looks a lot like Jansen Friedh from Lost Odyssey:

Well, to me he does, anyway...

Speaking of Hironubu Sakaguchi, who else saw the posters in Singapore?

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Souplex said:
It's pretty darn focused on being stealthy. That kills a lot of the fun.
When I buy an RPG, I expect to be able to play it my way, but you get significantly more EXP for being stealthy, and your health is so pitiful that stealth is pretty much the entire option.
As scientists have pointed out for years:
Stealth =/= Fun.
That's entirely your opinion that stealth isn't fun, but you most certainly can just kill everyone you see and make it through the game. It doesn't seem like you're netting much XP at the beginning, but by the end, you will be able to kill at least 5 enemies for every one that a sneaky player would take out.

As for the health thing, you can maximize your survivability by buying immunity to EMPs, toxic gas, and concussion grenades. This means that 75% of the enemies' grenades will do jack shit. Where bullets and frag grenades are concerned, pump some points into your damage resistance and you should be able to survive relatively well, but you can't play the game like halo. You have to plan your approach so that you take out your enemies as quickly as possible, but I find that it makes the combat a lot more exhilarating because if you succeed, the firefights are just you whooping on whatever assholes dare stand in your way while they run around helplessly wondering where their pal's face just went.

OT: In case you haven't figured this out yet, I highly recommend this game.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
NewYork_Comedian said:
I'm curious about buying the game, but it's either this or Red Orchestra 2, so I want to know from the average gamer and not a reviewer how they think of the game. What do you think of it so far?
I'll put it simply. Red Orchestra will be another WW2 FPS. DE:HR got me back into playing video games, which I have more or less abandoned, since everything else is just sequels or generic as christ in a bucket of nails and small crosses. Deus Ex is somewhat open world (The hub worlds are large, but not huge. They are tall though. Multiple levels, not many games do that nowadays.), and you can play in justb about any way you want. Stealthy, Rambo-y, a mix of both, etc. It also looks unique, like a lot of effort was put into the game to make it not look like everything else. It's also relatively long as well as replayable.