So how is Deus Ex: Human Revolution?

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
It's alright. The concept is interesting, and it does give you a lot of options, but the voice acting and character animations hurt the story, which isn't great to begin with.

The controls are a little stiff, at least on the 360, and there are a few of pants on head retarded design choices.

Ammo is far to scarce, often forcing you into stealth weather you want to use it or not. Enemies do drop ammo, but not enough for the big fire fights, and only for the shitty starting guns you never want to use. This effectively means you can only use the fun weapons(Revolvers, sniper rifles, shotguns) once every couple of missions or so. That's a shame because making use of those weapons is pretty fun

Your energy cells will only recharge to one on their own(Which is stupid in and of itself, because every time you level it up, all you're effectively doing is buying yourself a temporary boost, which you can buy anyway), which means you can't cloak and melee at the same time, and since the cloak only hides you for three seconds at the outset, it's rendered virtually useless. There's really no point in getting it unless you can shell out the points for the upgraded version of it

The game gives you the option of being a pacifist and never actually killing anyone. Instead you use a non-lethal takedown. But you're forced to kill the bosses anyway, so there's no real point. I wouldn't mind so much if it didn't get in the way of my bloodthirst. See, there's no real point to not killing guards, as they can be woken up if they're not dead, and they alert the others. But in order to kill them, you have to hold the B button down instead of just pressing it, and since the melee won't trigger unless you're looking directly at your opponents(Who move around a lot), if you try to close the distance quickly because you apparently have some aversion to being shot, there's a chance that you'll press the button to early or that you'll end up looking half an inch to the left, and not realize it until you've been shot because there's lag anyways, then when you try to let go and reposition yourself before the alarms go off, your character will proceed to do a non lethal takedown the second you press the button!. And once the guards are knocked out, the sheer reality altering power of your ineptitude will apparently prevent you from capping them through the fucking skull.

You level up your base stats(Energy and health) the same way you level up your actual powers, and thus your options become limited because you have to spend points increasing those things, as advanced powers aren't very useful if you can only use them once a year and can only take one kick to the shin before your spine snaps in half. This effectively creates the illusion of choice, as you don't have to level your health and energy up, but you'd be stupid not to. This basic problem crops up in other areas to, like the way the game keeps passively aggressively reminding you how much more hip and cool hacking is compared to all your lame cloaking and shooting. There was this one quest that could only be completed with an upgraded hacking skill, but the game didn't let me know that until I had slaughtered my way through the police station trying to get to it, having jumped through all the other quest hoops along the way. "What's that? you don't have hacking!?, WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?!?!? :mad:, WERE YOU RAISED BY A PACK OF WOLVES, YOU UNCIVILIZED ****?", You feel more boxed in by the RPG mechanics then you do freed, because your character starts off so pathetic that your inclined to spend the first few levels just trying to compensate for his crippling deformities.

For a game that goes on about choice, it sure boxes you into a lot of corners. Maybe this all gets better once you've gotten passed the first few missions, and maybe the 360 version just suffers from down syndrome and the controls are spot on in the PC version, but so far, I can't exactly recommend this at 60 bucks

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
sumanoskae said:
And once the guards are knocked out, the sheer reality altering power of your ineptitude will apparently prevent you from capping them through the fucking skull.
You sure about that? I'm pretty sure you can kill downed people. (EDIT: yes you can kill unconscious people and make them do "the ragdoll dance")

sumanoskae said:
There was this one quest that could only be completed with an upgraded hacking skill, but the game didn't let me know that until I had slaughtered my way through the police station trying to get to it, having jumped through all the other quest hoops along the way.
Was this the quest to get the chip from the dead hacker? Because I just walked in and grabbed it, (had to talk a guy into letting me in although.)

For.I.Am.Mad

May 8, 2010
I loathe this game. I don't know, maybe I just can't get in rhythm with the game. I need to give my thanks to the fine people at Redbox, though. They saved me $54.

I still don't understand why this game is getting so many 9's. They're are some real big flaws here.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
I sort of like it.

But the mouse feels like I'm dragging it through mud even at 60+ fps, and there is a distinct lack of display options to see if even higher frame rates can fix this.

And the enemy setup seems quite odd, I'm not sure if they keep doing this but sofar there was always a clear split between safe rooms and then a room full of enemies that constantly search the tiny area as if they were looking for someone... hits the uncanny valley quite badly.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
I love how you can hack a turret and then haul it around with you to do all your fighting.

Also the AI can be hilariously bad at times. Example: I'm hiding in a vent and I tranq a guy. He falls over and his buddy comes over to revive him. I tranq him too. This pattern repeats itself until there is a pile of several bodies outside the vent.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I really like it so far.

I'm having some trouble finding room for doing the sidequests, and the loading times are pretty long, but I like it.

gonzo20

Dec 18, 2008
eh im gonna reckon the first will be better but i am getting this soon :D just sounds like the boss fights are gonna be a letdown, in the first one you could even just say a secret code and they would be like "wait wha-" BOOM! seems you actually have to fight them, which is bad :(

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Alfador_VII said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Absolutely wonderful game, apart from the shitty boss fights.
I was enjoying it a lot, until I got to the first boss, the stupid guy with the gun arm. No way to hack or stealth round him.

After trying to be stealthy before that, the game basically turns round and says "haha, you're doing it wrong, you need to be really good with guns!"

I'm playing on normal mode,and even emptying a few clips into him (or more likely near him as I didn't improve any combat augs) I can't even scratch him, whereas he can kill me in a few shots :(
A friend of mine told me about the first bossfight before I reached it.
He told me it was really hard; and he had improved his combat augments.

I, on the other hand, had been stealthing my way through the entire game until then, putting most of my praxis into hacking.
I reached the boss without upgrading any combat-augments, and was sort of worried I wouldn't be able to deal with him.

1. Get behind cover.
2. Throw an emp/concussion grenade at him.
3. Throw a frag grenade at him.
4. Shoot him with my stun gun.
5. Throw frag grenade.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 ad nauseum.

(He died after approximately 4 grenades.)
I managed him on the first try, without upgrading my combat augments (no, I do not play on "give me a story").
I don't see what the fuss is about.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Just finished it.

The game itself is fantastic I can't fault it.

The endings are a bit underwhelming. Not the kind of end I was hoping for and left me thinking "is that it, i've gone through all that just for this".

But apart from that it's a really good game.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Golan Trevize said:
Kopikatsu said:
Golan Trevize said:
Kopikatsu said:
Golan Trevize said:
Kopikatsu said:
Golan Trevize said:
k7avenger said:
Golan Trevize said:
k7avenger said:
Its a very good game until you hit a boss fight. Seriously, they ruin the game.
Really? so far I managed to beat the first boss with two or three shots and a couple of barrels.
Yea, one emp grenade and some shotgun shells got me through the first boss easy enough. But wait till you get to the 2nd boss. She has stealth, if you get up close to her, she blows up killing you, if you shoot at her far away, she'll shoot you dead, if she blows up in the wrong place, you'll be electrocuted, AND she can take more shots than a herd of frat boys. Seriously, its like trying to fight the Terminator with a BB gun.
I'll see if I can find a not so lethal way of taking her out then. It would be a pity if the game forces me to change my non lethal stealthy ways just because it's a "boss fight".
They do. It's technically possible to beat the first boss non-lethally (Although he still dies in the cutscene), but the other bosses must be killed. And they have a shitload of health.

Unless you keep one anti-boss gun and NEVER use it for anything other than bosses ('Cause bosses eat up ammo like you can't even believe, and you don't even get that much ammo beforehand), plan on having every boss after the first one destroy you
Second Boss beaten with two shots, easier than the first one. She has a tendency to run toward those generators on the walls. :D
wat. wat. wat.

You just shot the generators when she ran near them...? ... ... ...I see...
No, she shot them herself when she does her close range attack, all you have to do is move. Or if you are feeling more aggressive, stun and shoot at your pleasure.
When you say close range attack, do you mean when she starts spamming Typhoon or something else?
Typhoon, anyway I finally reached the third mech (I'm done with the game actually) I don't see a way around this one other than grenades or big guns. :(
Yeah...I don't even know how his boss fight goes. I guess that he's supposed to 'disguise' himself as one of the statues every once in a while, but even on normal mode with the 45% reduction, he killed me in about 1.5 seconds.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
For.I.Am.Mad said:
I loathe this game. I don't know, maybe I just can't get in rhythm with the game. I need to give my thanks to the fine people at Redbox, though. They saved me $54.

I still don't understand why this game is getting so many 9's. They're are some real big flaws here.
Like what?

I agree that the game has a few major flaws, but what were the ones that made it unplayable for you?

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Completed it last night. It's a great game, the only complaints I have is the shitty inventory system and the loading times. When I do my 2nd playthrough I'm going to install it to my hard drive.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Well, I only have it on 360, but its the tits. My only complaint is the boss fights, as I watched a playthrough on youtube of the first Deus Ex, and there was maybe only one bossfight, and it could actually be skipped. I think its the same problem with AP (another game I liked, but sucked because of forced bossfights). Thankfully, you have multiple options to procede with the boss fights still.

Post Tenebrae Morte

Jun 6, 2011
For those of you complaining about the Bosses:

1st one: There are gas canisters and Exploding Barrels. Throw a gas, then a barrel. You can get two barrels with one canister. You don't need to shoot a single bullet.

2nd one: There are power conduits all around you. Before the fight, upgrade your dermal to protect you from emp and electricity. Then, shoot the conduits and the boss will be electrocuted to death. You might need to shoot her up a bit though, so at the least, carry a combat rifle on the side.

3rd one: He is easily stunned by grenades, before the fight, there is a room with a Heavy Rifle and Ammo. There is also a plasma rifle in the immediate area of the fight. Stun him and shoot him in the head. I had an easy time due to having pre-ordered the game from Gamestop and getting the Grenade Launcher from Tong.

I went through the game with 2 ways of non-lethal shooting (Tranq gun and Stun Gun) and a lethal weapon (Combat Rifle for the first two hubs, Heavy Rifle later on alongside the Grenade Launcher). To me, it just seemed like common sense to make sure you have a backup.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Boss fights are pretty lackluster, and shooting people in the head is 100x easier than the sneaking around and sabotaging thing. Sneaking and sabotaging is much more fun though. Also, you'll be running around the free roam map from point X to point Y a lot- multiple times.

Those are the only quabbles. Consider everything else about the game to be crafted from solid gold 1's and 0's.

Mr. 47

May 25, 2011
It's great, but unforgiving. I've had to go back to a previous save to do a social boss fight or two (or about them all) again. One of the best games I ever played.