So I found out I'm on my schools "Shooting Watch List"

pippinj

May 16, 2011
JWAN said:
AetherWolf said:
What, is your school run by Jack Thompson?

Seriously though, I thought people were done with this generalizing based on the Columbine Shooting years ago.
And as it turns out most of those generalizations were wrong. Those guys had lots of friends and were some of the most popular people in school.
They were troubled, though. Had a guy do a talk at my old school who had actually talked to the shooters about a week prior. He saw it coming, though maybe not the extent of it...

Apr 28, 2008
Pretty sure I was put on my schools list after they found me drawing pictures of stick figures shooting each other.

I was just bored. I had literally no ill-will towards anything at the time, and had no desire to shoot anything or anyone. Granted I can kind of see how they wouldn't believe me, but still.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
If you're really bothered by this (and I wouldn't blame you if you were), you may be able to hit the school with a Freedom of Information Act request about your personal records to see what's going on here... I'm not very sure though, I'm kinda vague on it and it may depend on your state law.
(assuming you're in the US)

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
It is funny because during my time in high school no such lists existed (in my board at least). Canada + Safe community + no gang intrusion.

kypsilon

May 16, 2010
I assume this is in America? Sue for defamation of character. If you lose the lawsuit at least you shed a spotlight on a potential issue of (at the very least) character assassination, and if you win, you get college or university paid for.

Seriously though, I'd question them on it. If that's a permanent record kind of deal, could it affect your ability to get into secondary educational institutions? Will it dog you for the rest of your life because no one bothered to ask you what you thought of all that?

Averant

Jul 6, 2010
"Religion: Athiest, shows lack of empathy."

Shit, they found me.

I jest, I jest. But seriously, I DO lack empathy. I'm just too polite to show it. That, and I like my friends and actually care what they think of me. I'm an outcast, I need my friends where I can get them. >_>

If I don't like/care about the other people, I don't give a flying fuck.

EDIT: Eheheh. I remember the time in 2nd grade where I got in trouble for drawing a killer snowman. And that was a good snowman, too...

starkiller212

Dec 23, 2010
No offense, but sneaking into their offices and reading through their documents isn't something most good students would do. Maybe this is an indication that you need to show more respect to people.

Although I am kind of shocked that they have such a list, assuming this is actually true

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Based on that list, I doubt you live in the NE or W US.
I dont think it is wrong to be aware of potential problems like that, but the way they are profiling people is so ignorant and full of itself.
And who the hell on the school staff is stalking you to learn that!?
It also bothers me because it shows how judgemental the school is in a very studenty way.

Danny 6Speed

May 16, 2011
Fetzenfisch said:
That school definatly needs some people who do know at least how to write pedagogics and psychology.
No I like to exploit this (no offence intended)
Anyway I also am on this list mostly for being caught with a knife during school hours and all the other check boxes you have marked. the school says "lack of empathy" or I as say it not feeding the attention needing idiots that populate my rich kid school.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
pippinj said:
JWAN said:
AetherWolf said:
What, is your school run by Jack Thompson?

Seriously though, I thought people were done with this generalizing based on the Columbine Shooting years ago.
And as it turns out most of those generalizations were wrong. Those guys had lots of friends and were some of the most popular people in school.
They were troubled, though. Had a guy do a talk at my old school who had actually talked to the shooters about a week prior. He saw it coming, though maybe not the extent of it...
They totally were, Im just saying that the media hyped them as loners who didn't have any friends. Then there was that whole "she said yes" thing that turned out to be crap. Its just that you cant fit crazy people (or people in general) into specific boxes. That whole "snowflake" analogy I suppose.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
if this is brought to the teachers who wants to bet the file will be conveniently lost or the work of one fallguy.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
That's pretty rude, to class certain people who you expect to do something. The worst things about school shootings is that it's always the person you least expect.
And if they do class people, why would they class you completely wrong? And who doesn't like metal? And who starts sentences with "and"? Oh yeah, me.

MinionStarwind

Shooby Doo-Wah
Apr 17, 2009
Well if their data doesn't say you will, say that if you do, SEEING that they had data that you might possibly do so IN THE FIRST PLACE made you do it anyway.

Awesomeness

Aug 8, 2009
Trololo Punk said:
I find people saying atheists and other "non-believers" show less empathy,remorse, and are more "dangerous" quite insulting
For the whole shooting list thing, I didn't even know they existed, possibly cause they do not do those in Canada/the area that I live

i gotta agree with you on that one, especially considering nearly every war so far has been religiously based.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
La Barata said:
Baneat said:
La Barata said:
-AC80- said:
WhatIsThisIDontEven said:
"Grades: Excellent, excels in science.
Interests: Shows an interest in death and goth culture.
Music Choice: Heavy metal, shows interest in death.
Religion: Atheist, shows lack of empathy.

Comments: Staff are urged to act nicer to NAME to keep him at a stable emotional level."

Which is weird, because I don't have any interest in goth subculture or a death fascination. I do like metal, but so? Also the part about me being an atheist is ridiculous (the school is in a Protestant/Catholic town).

Anyone else think this is a bit weird?
i would call it very weird but i'd currently be storming into the principals/head teacher office and demand an explanation to these out right lies/total miss communication (and i assume the "lack empathy" bit was an immediate conclusion base on the sole fact that you are atheist and they dont really know much about it?, question that in detail as well) (?).
I completely agree here. This is absolutely ridiculous. I might even switch schools over this, if I were you. Seriously, you might even have grounds for a lawsuit for discrimination and labeling due to religious beliefs. It's been proven that labeling a student can severely affect their performance in school, too, so take from that what you will
If the information was obtained illegally I don't think you can lawsuit
I've seen people who, when falling through a skylight and themselves while breaking into a home, successfully sued the homeowner for having a faulty skylight. I'm preeetty sure reading a file pertaining to you might not have much effect. As well, how he found out doesn't really change the situation at all, does it?
Well, think about it,

So he didn't intend for the subject to read it, he was recording his thoughts so he wouldn't forget them. If he'd published it, yeah maybe, but it was a personal file. So, if he thought that thought, and never told anyone but the OP could read minds and prove that he really did think that thought:

Is he legally accountable?

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
"Religion: Atheist, shows lack of empathy"
How the fuck is that legal?
Someone should get fired, this is absurd.

nYuknYuknYuk

Jul 12, 2009
Oh boy. I hope these don't follow you from Elementary to High School and beyond. Because in 1st grade, I was a huge WW2 aviation buff. So when everyone else was drawing flowers and ponies, I was drawing B-17's bombing cities. I was still too young too know all that entailed.

I also liked drawing all of the insignias of the various factions. One of which was, of course, the swastika. I had no idea what it meant, I thought it was just the symbol for Germany during WW2. So I'd doodle them all nonchalant on my paper during class. Parents finally found out and I stopped. Funny story when I think about it, but hopefully I'm not on a list like this.

DocBalance

Nov 9, 2009
Custard_Angel said:
Here's an idea.

Smile more often.

It'll open many "non-shooting" doors.
If you want to convince people who aren't trying to kill them, you don't suddenly start smiling randomly. That's serial killer habit number one >.>