So I found out I'm on my schools "Shooting Watch List"

pippinj

May 16, 2011
Hmm, let's see, styles himself as being slightly insane, has a reputation for being able to kill someone with nothing more than a hat, is known to carry and throw Tim Horton's quickpay cards with considerable force, intimidates younger students simply by looking at them...

Yup, I'm definitely screwed. Good thing I go to a tiny rural Canadian school and know all the staff well enough that they know better than that.

Seriously, though, is it weird, a little, understandable, definitely. Carried off with laughably bad precision and basis in fact, absolutely. Mind, the guidance councilor may be being forced into doing these because of some board policy, and simply threw together whatever they could off the top of their head. Doesn't excuse the religion part, though. For crying out loud, I'm a christian and I cringe when I see stuff like that.

BTW please don't stereotype me as being bigoted :p

EvilPicnic

Sep 9, 2009
lacktheknack said:
EvilPicnic said:
If it was me I would be very offended. Especially the part about Atheism --> lack of empathy. imo it's the other way round, intolerant pricks.

Sue 'em if you can.
I found this a bit ironic. Thanks.
It is a bit, isn't it? :p

My last point was mainly serious though: I would certainly view this as a breach of trust on the school's part.

Feralcentaur

Mar 6, 2010
FalloutJack said:
Find out on the next exciting episode of...Escapist Magazine!
The problem with the idea of the Escapist becoming an episodic T.V. show is that it would nearly constantly be re-runs.
OT: This brings up an interesting question, if being an Atheist means you have no Empathy, would Agnostic then mean that you're not sure weather you have Empathy or not?... I'm pretty certain that I do feel Empathy and am Agnostic but am also almost certain there's no God.

pippinj said:
Doesn't excuse the religion part, though. For crying out loud, I'm a christian and I cringe when I see stuff like that.

BTW please don't stereotype me as being bigoted :p
Why would I ever assume you're being bigoted when you clearly expressed your contempt and disgust at the bigotry being done?
Don't be so paranoid silly!

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
FeralCentaur said:
FalloutJack said:
Find out on the next exciting episode of...Escapist Magazine!
The problem with the idea of the Escapist becoming an episodic T.V. show is that it would nearly constantly be re-runs.
OT: This brings up an interesting question, if being an Atheist means you have no Empathy, would Agnostic then mean that you're not sure weather you have Empathy or not?
Upon that line of thinking, why does being Catholic mean I'm always guilty! I'M NOT! I FEEL APPEASED!

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
I got called into the guidance office because someone was throwing shards of a pencil at me while the teacher was out of the room. I had flipped my desk and shouted "I'M GONNA FUCKING KILL YOU" right as the teacher came back.

The ONLY thing the guidance counselor said was "Don't shoot the school up, you won't see him after you graduate"

Now, the school knows I had/have anger issues, but they are always and always have been VERY short bursts. The few times anythings happened, I simply punched the asshole, and I was back to my normal self. I was never going to kill him, and I would never kill anyone. But I tend to threaten much worse things than I am capable of.

Izakflashman

Dec 18, 2008
Memor-X said:
Seen walking to Midvale Shopping Center and/or waiting at Busloop (in evenings) or Library (before Recess/Lunch). When no work available, plays handheld video games.
Bro, they even noted where you went after school.. That's... I dunno. That file was crossing a bunch of lines, but that's another one entirely. It's like they would have rigged up a friggin camera in your house if they were aloud.

Ph33nix

Jul 13, 2009
lol i love when schools have shit like that it just proves they have no idea how to handle anyone. I would assume I was even higher on that list at my high school considering it was known i had several guns at my house and had only average grades. oh well high school is joke.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
These kinds of "lists" appear across college campus' in the U.S. as well, however they are not called "Shooting watch List" and are based entirely on referrals and actual actions (not interests and such). The fact that they have no evidence to suggest you are capable of such a thing and only show off-beat interests is wrong. You should tell someone about this imo.

s0meNo0b

Feb 21, 2011
That's... creepy. Even creepier for me is that I can imagine myself being on such a list.

Harlief

Jul 8, 2009
ravensheart18 said:
Harlief said:
WhatIsThisIDontEven said:
Religion: Atheist, shows lack of empathy.
Ask them how they would feel if they were profiled in such a way.
That may not be profiled, those two facts might be separate. He may have DEMONSTRATED a lack of empathy.
If that was so, they wouldn't have written that note under the 'religion' bullet point... unless he did something un-empathetic in the name of irreligiousness.

powell86

Mar 19, 2009
emeraldrafael said:
Tahts... actually kinda funny. To me at least, just that your school has a list. Though it seems like something you could bring a lawsuit around for, targetting you out on your (lack of) religion, interests, and music.

Id ont know, my high school didnt need a list like that. Everyone could bring their (legal) guns to school, cause I live in a really suburban area where you can go to a rural place in like, five minutes drive, and hunting is huge. People often joked that they would come in and shoot the place (for various reasons). I know I had brought my gun to school once, and more times I had brought other weapons (for hunting). In fact, in the four years of being in my high school, and of its 40 year history, we only had one attempted shooting. it was bad for the kid that tried, cause after three of us (including me) tackled him and made him miss the girl he was aiming for, he got back up and tried again, but wound up getting shot in both knee caps, bringing and keeping him down.

Though, I guess I would be on that list if we had one, just cause I have the capabilities and discipline to kill just about anyone in most anyway, and have a reputation as being hard to kill.

EDIT:
I wonder if they have it (the list) up somewhere online for the parents to see. Like they do with Megan's Law
Interesting. I actually wonder what are the incident rates of shooting in schools like yours that openly allow guns. A part of me suspect that such incidents should be lesser than the general populace due to the simple fact that any idiot rushing in with an intention to kill would most probably meet with substantial firepower resistance.

Hypothesis:
decent people > crazy assholes
unarmed decent people <<>> armed crazy assholes

therefore less shootings lulz.

TheTaco007

Sep 10, 2009
I'm sorry, WHAT? Why are they even allowed to DO that? That's straight fucking DISCRIMINATION. I would sue the shit out of that school.

Ph33nix

Jul 13, 2009
also if something like that ever stopped me from getting my License to Carry Concealed damn would i sue the living hell out of the school district leave them with nothing. I hated my high school though the teachers were asses who could care less about your education and safety the administration almost fucked me because they forgot to send my grades and the University I go to now almost unaccepted me because of that had to drive out a week early to get them here on time but yeah i hated high school

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
So I was called into the office of my high school today to talk to my guidance counselor about college stuff (I'm a senior) and she had all my files and stuff on her desk. There was one folder she never looked at though during the meeting. I asked her about it and she said it wasn't important.

The bell rang and we both got up to leave. I went back to her office once she had left and picked up the folder. It was a report about my "school shooting potential". At my school, apparently, the SSP is based on grades, interests, music choice, and religion. It said this (from what I can recall, I skimmed it)

"Grades: Excellent, excels in science.
Interests: Shows an interest in death and goth culture.
Music Choice: Heavy metal, shows interest in death.

Comments: Staff are urged to act nicer to NAME to keep him at a stable emotional level."

Which is weird, because I don't have any interest in goth subculture or a death fascination. I do like metal, but so? Also the part about me being an atheist is ridiculous (the school is in a Protestant/Catholic town).

Anyone else think this is a bit weird?
Congratulations. You've been branded a criminal and a deviant before any criminal/anti-social activity has been instigated.

What a farce.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
AetherWolf said:
What, is your school run by Jack Thompson?

Seriously though, I thought people were done with this generalizing based on the Columbine Shooting years ago.
And as it turns out most of those generalizations were wrong. Those guys had lots of friends and were some of the most popular people in school.