So I found out I'm on my schools "Shooting Watch List"

crazyfoxdemon

Oct 2, 2009
Grickit said:
You like science, and you don't believe in their fairy tales. Of course you're evil and want to kill them all!

I wonder how many schools do this?
Probably more then you realize. Most schools have something similar to this even is its an informal list.

Thundero13

Mar 19, 2009
Oh God, they actually have things like that!? and I spent all this time getting rid of my paranoia? :(

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Hive Mind said:
Hero in a half shell said:
You should confront her about it, at her house, while holding a gun.

Actually don't do that, that would be a horrible thing to do. Also, you snuck back into her office to rifle through your files just to know what one 'unimportant' file was? Thats some worrying behaviour right there.

I like how music choice is one of the indicators for whether you will shoot up a school. "ARGH He likes Judas Priest, now were all screwed!"
I find it funny that no one else besides us has questioned the OP's willingness to sneak into a teacher's office and go through her files. A lack of empathy and none too bothered about rifling through someone's private property after having suck into their room? Kind of scary personality right there. If they come back and mention how they once killed a stray cat, I'm calling the cops.

Also, Judas Priest are terrible.
Yeah, but that means his kids will rebel and grow up listening to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and the Ramones, so all is well.

crazyfills

Nov 12, 2010
Wow thats really not right at I give you a huge thumbs up on reading that file I did stuff like this in my primary school.I find this quite disturbing hope this dosn't happen in the UK.

Hive Mind

Apr 30, 2011
funguy2121 said:
Hive Mind said:
Hero in a half shell said:
You should confront her about it, at her house, while holding a gun.

Actually don't do that, that would be a horrible thing to do. Also, you snuck back into her office to rifle through your files just to know what one 'unimportant' file was? Thats some worrying behaviour right there.

I like how music choice is one of the indicators for whether you will shoot up a school. "ARGH He likes Judas Priest, now were all screwed!"
I find it funny that no one else besides us has questioned the OP's willingness to sneak into a teacher's office and go through her files. A lack of empathy and none too bothered about rifling through someone's private property after having suck into their room? Kind of scary personality right there. If they come back and mention how they once killed a stray cat, I'm calling the cops.

Also, Judas Priest are terrible.
Yeah, but that means his kids will rebel and grow up listening to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and the Ramones, so all is well.
Oh god, I take it back!

Nov 18, 2010
WhatIsThisIDontEven said:
So I was called into the office of my high school today to talk to my guidance counselor about college stuff (I'm a senior) and she had all my files and stuff on her desk. There was one folder she never looked at though during the meeting. I asked her about it and she said it wasn't important.

The bell rang and we both got up to leave. I went back to her office once she had left and picked up the folder. It was a report about my "school shooting potential". At my school, apparently, the SSP is based on grades, interests, music choice, and religion. It said this (from what I can recall, I skimmed it)

"Grades: Excellent, excels in science.
Interests: Shows an interest in death and goth culture.
Music Choice: Heavy metal, shows interest in death.
Religion: Atheist, shows lack of empathy.

Comments: Staff are urged to act nicer to NAME to keep him at a stable emotional level."

Which is weird, because I don't have any interest in goth subculture or a death fascination. I do like metal, but so? Also the part about me being an atheist is ridiculous (the school is in a Protestant/Catholic town).

Anyone else think this is a bit weird?
Had that happen to me in elementary school, except it wasn't a profile, but my principal's "observations". I was the quiet kid that found it difficult to fit in because of my apparently odd interests in video games and anime (Strange, right? But the number of people that actually liked that stuff where I grew up could be counted with one hand) as well as being diagnosed with a mild case of clinical depression and social anxiety. But even though I had top grades, was friendly, and tried stayed on everyone's good side, that ***** of a principal actually made a direct statement to my parents and many of the teachers that she had high suspicions of me causing the next Columbine Shooting because of my antisocial behavior when I was 8! I had no idea where I would even be able to find a gun at that age, let alone think about using one, but unfortunately that rumor leaked out to basically the whole student body and I found it increasingly more difficult to interact with anyone else at the school. She's lucky I didn't go on a rampage because of her actions!

Dott

Oct 27, 2009
This seems fair and legit and totally not overreacted.

Tell your overtly Christian teachers to calm the bloody hell down.

Tizzmarelda

Jul 1, 2010
ravensheart18 said:
Tizzmarelda said:
You should totally use this to fuck with the school. Get a friend in on the act, get a bb gun ( unloaded ofcourse) and pretend to take him hostage. you get a cookie if you manage to shut the school and the internet if you get on the news. Do it for the lulz!
You do know this could get you shot if you are unlucky and criminally charged if you are lucky right?

I kid, i kid. in all seriousness though that school is out of line profiling students in such a way. they should be ashamed.

slightly evil

Feb 18, 2010
I would have gotten out my pen and corrected it :D
but then, I get patronising instead of aggresive... I'd probably still make the list for being weird though :(

DVS Storm

Jul 13, 2009
Okay I'm seriously getting tired of the whole "you listen to metal so you like to kill people" thing. I listen to metal and I have trouble killing flies sometimes. Also the whole SSP foldersystem is messed up. Are they getting so paranoid about it?

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
That's strange, I work in the schools and I've never seen or heard of a shooting watch list.

We don't have to money to pay for anyone to compile a list like that.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Trololo Punk said:
I find people saying atheists and other "non-believers" show less empathy,remorse, and are more "dangerous" quite insulting
For the whole shooting list thing, I didn't even know they existed, possibly cause they do not do those in Canada/the area that I live
Yeah, damn religious dicks! Makes me want to blow their brains out! /joke!

In all seriousness though, if my college has that list, I'm probably on it. I'm not into metal or anything, but I am an atheist, I can seem a little emotionless in passing, am a little odd and when asked about hobbies in my interview I said I shoot. The woman doing the interview looked at me like a deer looks at that oncoming truck. XD

Spacelord

May 7, 2008
Lol they'd better be trollin'

Seriously though, damn that's fucking weird. :| It freaks me out a little that they're keeping tabs on you like that. Also, I really wonder how reliable that assessment is in the sense that it predicts a tendency to shoot up your school.

Anyway, best of luck to ya. Try not to kill anyone.

TheGuiggleMonster

Feb 11, 2011
DVS Storm said:
Okay I'm seriously getting tired of the whole "you listen to metal so you like to kill people" thing. I listen to metal and I have trouble killing flies sometimes. Also the whole SSP foldersystem is messed up. Are they getting so paranoid about it?
The correlation between killing animals and being a psychopath isn't that simple though.

TheGuiggleMonster

Feb 11, 2011
Spacelord said:
Lol they'd better be trollin'

Seriously though, damn that's fucking weird. :| It freaks me out a little that they're keeping tabs on you like that. Also, I really wonder how reliable that assessment is in the sense that it predicts a tendency to shoot up your school.

Anyway, best of luck to ya. Try not to kill anyone.
Well he did say that it is a predominantly Christian town where, I assume, atheism is a small minority and they see atheists differently to everyone else because of this so it wouldn't surpise me if they came to this uneducated conclusion about atheism.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
TheGuiggleMonster said:
DVS Storm said:
The correlation between killing animals and being a psychopath isn't that simple though.
He's right, when I started hunting as a kid, I could snap a rabbit's neck and such without thinking about it, yet I'm actually a fairly amiable person. Trust me, if anyone where I live is going to go psycho, it isn't me. (I could actually name a few people XD)

AnAngryMoose

Nov 12, 2009
The first thought that came to my mind was how it sounded like some shady government-fueled profiling program, but then I realised I was just being silly... Or was I?

>.>

<..>

OT: I think that it's weird that your school is profiling students to see who's more likely to go on a shooting spree, especially based on your music taste.