So I found out I'm on my schools "Shooting Watch List"

ZeroDotZero

Sep 18, 2009
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
ZeroDotZero said:
I can imagine several pupils at my school who would appear on this list should guns be legal in Britain. Maybe they are on a 'Sword-Related Murder Watch List' or something.
Please; all you chaps have is school arguments. Where a student goes in with his superior linguistics skills and makes a fool out of everyone that ever wronged him.

Same of the victims go deaf from what i hear.
Its funny you should say that, my school has a high expulsion rate for students who bring in weaponry.

Just not swords.

That's why I picked swords.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
powell86 said:
basically, they're lower. like I said, the school's been standing for 40 years, and has had the rule for 35 of them. So for 35 years, no one tried a school shooting. Then the first time someone did in 2006, the school banned guns for a year and a half, and then the rule came back (and still is to the best of my knowledge) in effect. We have a whole system of numbers meant to deal with a school shooting too, and it wouldnt take much for 50 students to be armed in anywhere between 2-7 minutes (depending how close you are to the parking lot).

hiks89 said:
you don't by any chance go to MEGATON high school do you?[/quote]

Nope.

standokan

May 28, 2009
Next time, just say "Don't stereotype me, I'm not a goth, I'm a satanist" that should clear the air.

Lucifron

Dec 21, 2009
WhatIsThisIDontEven said:
"Grades: Excellent, excels in science.
Interests: Shows an interest in death and goth culture.
Music Choice: Heavy metal, shows interest in death.
Religion: Atheist, shows lack of empathy.

Comments: Staff are urged to act nicer to NAME to keep him at a stable emotional level."

Which is weird, because I don't have any interest in goth subculture or a death fascination. I do like metal, but so? Also the part about me being an atheist is ridiculous (the school is in a Protestant/Catholic town).

Anyone else think this is a bit weird?
Yes.

Alert the media, act all offended and sad and stuff, sit back, and enjoy the ensuing lulz.

Lucifron

Dec 21, 2009
xdiesp said:
Ehm, do american schools profile their own students for unaligned behaviour now?
And I guess you guys accept it as it was the most noble and free thing in the world...
Pretty sure someone said liberty and freedom die under the guise of improved security and safety.

As Carlin would say 'Live a little ya pansy"
That is a paraphrased quote of Benjamin Franklin.

Also, +15 internets for Carlin.

Dark Prophet

Jun 3, 2009
You got to love the US cause US comes second only to Japan as far as the wierd and creepy shit goes.
On a more seious note: No offence but psychological profiling? On the students? Leaving said profiles so that students can get their hands on them. What if a profile of somewhat seriously problematic student would have gotten to the hands of some asshole.

nightwolf667

Oct 5, 2009
So, basically it's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

My only question is, do you go to a public school or a private one?

Also do Goths have a death fascination? Does Metal make one more violent? What makes an Atheist less empathetic than a Christian? Is a kid put on a school watch list specifically because he is Muslim?

Even if you (hypothetical not OP) are fascinated with death, does that make you more likely to kill others or just yourself? It's kinda a one big WTF moment. This isn't really a coherent profile though, it seems more like it's fear monitoring or something. But if this is a public school they may have just violated your first amendment rights. Like I said: Lawsuit waiting to happen.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010

Comments: Staff are urged to act nicer to NAME to keep him at a stable emotional level."

Which is weird, because I don't have any interest in goth subculture or a death fascination. I do like metal, but so? Also the part about me being an atheist is ridiculous (the school is in a Protestant/Catholic town).

Anyone else think this is a bit weird?

May just be a practical joke played at your expense (she may even have a hidden camera to capture your expression).

In the case that it isn't, however:

1. Are your friends with or is anyone you are regularly acquainted with goth or obsessed with death? Like it or not, people ARE judged by the crowds they run with (no matter how petty it is). Mayhaps you have a keen interest in biology and take to dissection labs enough to be easily misconstrued?

2. What type of metal do you regularly listen to? Do you sing or speak openly about it, or is it something they learned from a survey you might've filled out?

3. Is your lack of empathy a symptom of your atheism (i.e. if A = B and B = C, A = C; if WhatIsThisIDontEven is an atheist and atheists lack empathy, WhatIsThisIDontEven lacks empathy), or an observed trait of yours tacked onto your religious affiliation?

Smerf

May 4, 2011
hmmm, if my school has something like this i might be on it, for one in 8th grade i put Unreal Tournament on the school computers so we could all play it in computer class. even got a few teachers to play.

Arkonnan

Feb 2, 2010
although I can understand their reasons for creating such a list, but the criteria seem a little limited. This would be more likely to accurately predict potential shooters if it took into consideration more factors. Also, i agree, it seems a bit arbitrary with music interests being a major criteria.

ZeroDotZero

Sep 18, 2009
ZeroDotZero said:
ZeroDotZero said:
I can imagine several pupils at my school who would appear on this list should guns be legal in Britain. Maybe they are on a 'Sword-Related Murder Watch List' or something.
Please; all you chaps have is school arguments. Where a student goes in with his superior linguistics skills and makes a fool out of everyone that ever wronged him.

Same of the victims go deaf from what i hear.
Its funny you should say that, my school has a high expulsion rate for students who bring in weaponry.

Just not swords.

That's why I picked swords.
Like what? I was joking with the school arguments being deadly bit but what weapons do they bring? kitchen knives and such?
A couple of knives (two or three), a saw and an axe. Most of which have been used to threaten other pupils. Pupils tell teacher, attacker gets expelled. It always happens basically the same.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Is that even LEGAL?

I suggest asking about it, and sue if needed.

Also, judging you because of your relgion is a federal crime for public schools, so you can report em.

t3h br0th3r said:
i'm not surpised ur school had one, it seems relatively common.

at my middle school there was a %90 chance i was on that same list, and if i wasn't they were pretty dumb given the symptoms i was showing. (Depressed, very few friends, self-absorbed, bullied,interest in medieval weaponry).

but after being on that list i went on to found my schools Gamer's Club (Freshman year, no teacher help, only kid to pull that off in school history) and get published a bunch of times in the school literary magazine.

I'm currently mopping up my undergrad degree and have been accepted into graduate school so there is hope bro.
Atmos Duality said:
Don't worry about it. It happened to me too, and a friend of mine. We haven't killed anyone, nor do we have the wish to.

School systems are so absolutely terrified of losing funding, prestige, or reputation that they go to outrageous lengths to keep tabs on "possible shooter students".

I was put on that list because:
1) Of the medication I was taking at the time
2) I was brighter than your average student (that isn't me bragging. That was what they said.) in most subjects. Especially computers, science and writing.
3) I didn't participate in any of their extracurricular activities (I had just moved for the first time when I started high school.) So they presumed me critically antisocial. I also enjoyed playing shooters at the time (Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 were brand new around then)

Of course, what they didn't know is that my family didn't own any firearms; so they invented that possibility (in their own minds).

It was a remarkably similar to the scenario that my friend endured.
Though I find it more than a little disturbing that school systems make such inaccurate assumptions about their students just for the sake of presenting "evidence" to their superiors that they are indeed keeping an eye out for possible psychos.
I guess it's not just that school.

Have ANY of you confronted anybdy about it? How would I find out if my school has one?

Sacman said:

I saw mine the year I left, my counselor was nice enough to show it to me... I don't remember exactly what it said but it had the same format except instead of religion it said, "Emotional State" or "Mental State"... or something like that...

it was something like...

Grades: Generally very poor, but excels in History...
Interests: Shows interest in music theory and technology...
Music Choice: Nirvana and music expressing similar themes...
Mental/Emotional State: Possibly unstable...

And than it had an essay I didn't read...

Comments: It was a fairly long description so I didn't read the entire thing... but the end it described me as, "Potentially Dangerous, but showing no signs of violent behavior."
Seriously?

WHY HAVE NONE OF YOU GONE TO THE NEWS OR SOMETHING!

This is ILLEGAL.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
It's not because you like metal, it's because you excel at science. Catholics hate science. They just can't burn you at the stake for being good at it these days.

Seriously though, it's bullshit. If they're trying to profile you and have only anecdotal and outright false reasons for thinking you're a risky student, they'll probably be caught blindsided by whoever it is if someone does come to school with a gun someday. But hopefully that won't happen, and they'll just be nice to you from now on.

EDIT: also, this isn't the 1980's. What place does music have on there? They should be taking stock of the types of video games students play, that'll tell you if they're potentially violent.

penguindude42

Nov 14, 2010
chickencow said:
It's fairly obvious what you should do now.
Kill them.
Kill all of them.
There's a quote just for that:

"What's that, sandvich? Kill them all? GOOD IDEA!"

On-topic: This is stupid. Also: inb4 OP is a ******.

-tom

Captcha: "Gardiner's diubso"

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
Cause a believer in any god has never hurt another person. Noooo. Only atheists kill.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
killamanhunter said:
tell some guy in Anon about it, they'll tear that school district apart like the largest box under the Christmas tree. However if you do not plan to ask the most powerful beings on the internet just go into the counseling office and yell, "I HAVE A GUN IN MY POCKET!" and just walk out. Should get you both looks and laughs the rest of the day and week.
DO what this guy said.

No, not the gun thing, go to 4chan and have them deal with it.

I REALLY want everybody who knows their school has a list like this to got to the media, and raise hell.

Also, how might I find out if mine does?

A google search on School Shooting Potentional is not leading me anywhere.

ninjapenguin981

Jul 10, 2009
Even if you are atheist, I find it actually pretty offensive that people assume that we have no empathy. I have too much empathy if anything, I like metal, I'm not a goth, but am also good at science. This kind of thing is pathetic.