So I found out I'm on my schools "Shooting Watch List"

Evil Moo

Always Watching...
Feb 26, 2011
This reminds me of the time that my school sent the police round my house because they thought I was going to, and I quote: "Shoot everyone at my school and then kill my parents.". This wasn't due to me being profiled as far as I know, more due to a running joke that some malicious people decided to tell seriously to a substitute science teacher.

Annoyingly the police apparently didn't believe me when I told them that I wasn't going to shoot everyone (and after they had searched my room for guns), nor did they believe me when I was taken out of a geography lesson some time later to talk about it. I was later told that I came across as "cold". At this point my school was trying to get me a psychological assessment, which I didn't really want to get involved with, so I had to write a letter explaining everything to both the school and the police in the hope that they would see sense for once. I eventually sorted the whole thing out when, some months later, I told the local anti-terrorist/extremist type officer they had at the police that what I had actually said at the start of all this was that I was going to blow up the world, not shoot everyone, and that other people had added and changed details until it matched what caused the issue, and I had merely agreed with the new iterations in my usual flippant way.

That was a strange few months...

Back on topic, it does seem weird, but I suppose that they have got to do something to identify possible threats to the school. The sort of profiling they're using seems pretty limited, presumptuous and unreliable though. That said, anything that gets staff to act nicer to you has to be something of a good thing, right? :p

Mrrrgggrlllrrrg

Jun 21, 2010
Bueracracy HO! Bring it up to the principle as well inform your parents and/or guardian(s). Don't steal the file since that is illegal and would only harm you. Just set up a meeting and if they deny goto the school board since that is unprofessional behavior. All else fails write a stern letter to local news and to the principle and superintendent as well any other that would possibly apply including chaplain if blah blah blah...

Sudenak

Mar 31, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
Because they're trying to prevent the school from being 'shot up'?

Not saying the OP would do that, but every couple of days, there seems to be another school shooting in the US or Mexico. It seems to be the 'cool' thing to do nowadays.
Actually, that's not true. In the past few years, there's been a steady decline in school violence in general. The media just frantically sensationalizes everything for ratings. There's a reason why they still compare everything to the Columbine shooting, even though it happened over a decade ago.

Once you can stomach "atheists" and "death metal fans" being more prone to murder because they are less moral than Christian country fans, then I guess you can stomach whatever crap the media spoon feeds you as well.

And keep in mind that the peak of school violence was somewhere around 40. For the entire country. In a year. In fact, lemme look that up.

2003-2004, 43 violent deaths in a school. In the entire country. Let's compare that to how many murders were committed in 2003. 16,528. Hrm. Yeah, I guess this is an issue that requires profiling based on religious choices and music tastes. Without consent. While hiding it.

I can't be kind about this: if you shrug off discrimination, they get to keep doing it. And they'll go farther the longer you let them get away with it.

deathninja

Dec 19, 2008
Ah, profiling.

Similar reason that I've been turned down for every job I've applied for because of Asperger's syndrome, with the excuse that 'x person in the papers was violent/a hacker'.

Seriously, I'm on the verge of killing myself here, the state keeps telling me I'm an awful person for claiming disability benefits, yet everyone turns me down for jobs point-blank because I have a disability, what the fuck do I do?

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Dags90 said:
emeraldrafael said:
Its not about that, its just that he's being targeted and profiled.
Targeted for what though? They aren't treating him any differently.
As a potential threat with no real backing (that the OP has provided, again, they skimmed the file), other then their interests, music likes, and because tehy're atheist.

And maybe not negatively, but they are saying to treat this student in a more friendly matter, which can be just as wrong.

I'm no saying he should sue, but i can see where he would have reason to say something, and that he should say something, because its making them feel weird.

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
I could just see my psych eval...

Gamer, computer genius, anti-social, anti-stupid, does not handle conversation well, oh and did I mention gamer?

Since I may or may not play games with guns, my school is probably just waiting for me...

Oh wait, I'm homeschooled =P

Seriously though, what's with these people?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Goth? Wow I'm glad I'm not in your school you psycho shooter.

OT: People are far too sensitive these days. Kids were supposed to draw their hero for HW in school and one drew his father, a US Army guy with his gun...he got suspended. Wow.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
ZeroG131 said:
Wait, how did you find this out? How did you find out they had this kind of information on you? Cause I'm more than sure I'm on some list somewhere. And yeah, if is pretty fucked up that they really have to do this just to make sure they don't lose whatever status they have. They'd probably say, "Think of the children, we're just protecting them!" Bullshit. I don't here anything about a possible suicide list, do you?
How did I acquire that information?
It's quite simple: Around graduation, I asked the psychologist that the school required me to see (yes, they required it or I couldn't continue classes.) and he showed me the files they school had on me. Why? Because even he thought they were overreacting and it was generating him business. That, and it's borderline illegal; if I were legally an adult at the time of high school, it could actually fall under the realm of conspiracy or discrimination.

At the time, my high school was unusually affluent for a public district due to its location (high land values), and they didn't want any possibility for their reputation to be damaged. So they played it well beyond safe, and straight into paranoid. I considered subpoenaing the school afterwards, on the grounds of discrimination but decided against it due to the legal costs.

Sufficed to say, I was much happier in college.

biggles1

Sep 1, 2009
deathninja said:
Ah, profiling.

Similar reason that I've been turned down for every job I've applied for because of Asperger's syndrome, with the excuse that 'x person in the papers was violent/a hacker'.

Seriously, I'm on the verge of killing myself here, the state keeps telling me I'm an awful person for claiming disability benefits, yet everyone turns me down for jobs point-blank because I have a disability, what the fuck do I do?
stupid government and social systems, nothing ever works properly does it :/

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Aris Khandr said:
When I was in high school, most of the student body and a fair percentage of the faculty actually, truly believed that I was the daughter of the devil.
That plus your avatar makes for a wonderful juxtaposition ^_^

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
It's a miracle the report didn't say,

Interests: Videogames, training for when he shoots up the school, possibly into rape simulators like Duke Nukem, check basement for missing local children.

Sounds like republicans, likes metal=fixated on death, atheist=he spanks it to holocaust documentaries.

La Barata

Apr 13, 2010
Baneat said:
La Barata said:
-AC80- said:
WhatIsThisIDontEven said:
"Grades: Excellent, excels in science.
Interests: Shows an interest in death and goth culture.
Music Choice: Heavy metal, shows interest in death.
Religion: Atheist, shows lack of empathy.

Comments: Staff are urged to act nicer to NAME to keep him at a stable emotional level."

Which is weird, because I don't have any interest in goth subculture or a death fascination. I do like metal, but so? Also the part about me being an atheist is ridiculous (the school is in a Protestant/Catholic town).

Anyone else think this is a bit weird?
i would call it very weird but i'd currently be storming into the principals/head teacher office and demand an explanation to these out right lies/total miss communication (and i assume the "lack empathy" bit was an immediate conclusion base on the sole fact that you are atheist and they dont really know much about it?, question that in detail as well) (?).
I completely agree here. This is absolutely ridiculous. I might even switch schools over this, if I were you. Seriously, you might even have grounds for a lawsuit for discrimination and labeling due to religious beliefs. It's been proven that labeling a student can severely affect their performance in school, too, so take from that what you will
If the information was obtained illegally I don't think you can lawsuit
I've seen people who, when falling through a skylight and themselves while breaking into a home, successfully sued the homeowner for having a faulty skylight. I'm preeetty sure reading a file pertaining to you might not have much effect. As well, how he found out doesn't really change the situation at all, does it?

Laxman9292

Feb 6, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Err, that's good. It's good that you like death.

It's very good.

>_>

<_<

Please don't shoot me bro!

Nah, I'm joking. Seems kind of messed up that a school would measure the sociopathic tendencies of its students.
Eh but at the same time, people who have gone on shooting sprees have indeed had a "type" similar to the one described. It would be lax of them to not consider the possibility. I mean stereotypes exist for a reason, this is not to say that you should ignore those who don't show these stereotypes but I think it's perfectly fine to keep an eye out for these "red flags".

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
I'm probably on a list of that sort, I like music that the majority of students don't, I'm usually quiet unless I'm with friends, and I prefer to sit in the back corners of classrooms. It's quiet, and I get more work done. And to be honest, my grades could use a little work getting done.

Of course, their solution to this behaviour of mine? Well. They decide to put me up front and shower me with praise. They said it was to motivate me to do well, but come on. I was doing much better before. Either I'm paranoid, or they're paranoid.

My friends also like to joke around with me and purposely act extra nice to me on hopes that they won't get shot.

That said, I really wish everybody would shut the fuck up and realize that I'm about as violent as a sleeping kitten.

Seriously, I feel bad about killing spiders. Not to mention another human.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
Jon Shannow said:
Wait so because i'm an Atheist i'm more likely to shoot people?
You'd think that believing that this life is all we have would make you less likely to destroy it, as opposed to believing that killing someone would send them to a happier place.

Also, lacks empathy? I'm an atheist and I empathise all the time. I have more difficulty being apathetic than empathetic (empathic?).

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
Should have biro'd in comments next to everything.
I would have. And then spoken to them about it. :D

although as an atheist myself I don't see why that's more reason to be classed as "potentially homicidal"