So notch is an assh*le......

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
I don't like Yogscast, but I dislike Notch way much more. He's always been an arsehole, he just has a massive following of fanboys that mask it. He talks complete crap, but he tries to make himself look like the good guy with his Twitter account. He's immature, irritating, pretentious, and not a particularly good programmer.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
A better question: why does everyone care so much?

If you want people to stop treating him as a celebrity, stop caring so deeply about whether he apologizes appropriately, etc.

While I think it was perhaps blown out of proportion, I have very little sympathy with yogscast over the swearing. Especially not after they're trying to justify it by saying that they ran it by Mojang first. When you're speaking to a crowd that you know includes children, with children visible, I don't think it's at all unreasonable for you to be expected to keep things PG-13 without being explicitly told to do so.

To suggest that they're absolved of responsibility because Mojang didn't tell them to use their fucking brains and keep their presentation audience-appropriate is pretty silly.

The cheap shots at the Minecon organizing just make this seem even more petty. No reasonable person expects a first-year con to be very well organized and needing to find some tables and rope to do a signing is not some deeply insulting lack of preparation.

TL;DR: They're all acting like assholes.

blizzaradragon

Mar 15, 2010
GrandmaFunk said:
blizzaradragon said:
Plus you can't say that some of his solutions were juvenile(Quake 3 deathmatch to determine a lawsuit outcome? Seriously?).
well i guess how you want to interpret that is subjective, to me it seemed a playful and obviously-not-serious offer put out there to try and ease some of the building tension.

blizzaradragon said:
Plus when he offered to change the name, he didn't even offer to change the offending part. Noble goal, but combined with juvenile solutions, badmouthing, and utter disrespect for a company doing it's job equals asshole in my book.
the offending part being the word "Scrolls"? because that's what he offered to change, no?

blizzaradragon said:
Plus you can't say that Notch's trademark on Scrolls was waaaaaay to big for some silly card game.
im a bit confused...on one hand you think bethesda/zenimax defending it's trademark is just "a company doing it's job" but mojang taking equivalent steps in registering their trademark is, well, silly?
To the first part, I suppose it could be looked at that way, but I really don't think joking about something serious like a lawsuit in your face is the best way to get people on your side.

To the second, everything I saw was about adding a subtitle to it such as Scrolls: The Cards of Fate(not an "official" subtitle but a good example) or something along those lines. People said that he offered to change Scrolls, but every time I went to look for it I didn't see it. If you can show me where he said he'd change Scrolls I'll take back what I said about that.

To the third, they can register their trademark, but Notch went overboard. It went to board and card games, movies, TV shows, radio shows(seriously?), and a variety of other things as well as a video game trademark. It seems like someone asked what he wanted to trademark, and he just went "EVERYTHING! I WANT IT ALL!" or something to that effect. Plus that could do things like, say, prevent an Elder Scrolls movie should Bethesda ever decide they want to do one, simply because Notch made sure he held the trademark for Scrolls for everything.

If you're a fan of Notch, don't let me try to stop you from being a fan. I just feel Notch should either watch his mouth a bit before speaking or have some consequences for his actions, even if it's just something small like a suspension on his Twitter. Plus I'm sure at least some of this backlash from everything could be fixed if Notch just got someone for PR :p

Sakeretsu

Aug 15, 2010
Notch the Trollmeister! Indeed ,I'm just waiting for the video where they discover it's just one of the biggest trolling to date...

Areani

Dec 18, 2008
And people are passing judgements left and right, pretty much already having decided who they support long before they make any actual research into the matter. Not that I'm surprised or anything. It just makes me sad.

HoradricNoob

Jan 31, 2010
They are surely both at fault for some aspects of the disagreement. It is FULLY Notch's fault for making a spectacle of it.

JackandTom

Nov 17, 2010
I'm with Notch on this one, and I don't even like the guy! Seriously though, the Yogscast are so arrogant, most of their fanbase is made up of 11 year olds and they need to realise this. Anyway, a lot of it has probably been blown out of proportion but it looks like the Yogscast fame and "celebrity" status has gone to their heads.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
Both said it was a misunderstanding, one voiced a kind of apology - and nothing more seems to be coming from it, or the two aren't making a big deal out of it any longer (at least not publicly), if you can actually call what went on a 'big deal'.

Both are probably at fault to a certain extent, and I can see how a misunderstanding could occur. Notch can't be everywhere at once, and some people will get offended at just about anything. Though really, this thread just seems to be made out of a majority of people who are making knee-jerk reactions and scrambling to pick their respective sides in this 'argument that isn't really an argument'. Neither of the parties I'd stoop to calling an 'asshole' or whatever else.

Sort of reminds me of the Escapist/Extra Credits fiasco, but on way smaller scale.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Macrobstar said:
Yeh who cares about a group of peoples livelihood and business being slandered by an eminent public figure for no good reason?
Right, I'll assume we both watched enough of Yogscasts in the past to know these guys are entertainment trolls and that's why we watch them, I highly doubt they would have any reservations on dropping "f bombs" because that's just their thing.
So they were unprofessional at the show and so was Notch by venting on twitter instead of talking to them, both parties said sorry and now let's move on.

The only reason this will cost anyone anything is because people of the internets feel the unyielding need to blow everything way out of proportion, as this thread is doing right now.

Brinnmilo

Mar 18, 2009
At first I was like "well this is a bit one sided and then I was like o_O"

I'm inclined to go with the Yogscast on this one given Notches frantic back pedalling. Either way the damage is done, Yogscast will be hated by Notch fans and Yogscast fans will be disappointed in Notch.

sinterklaas

Dec 6, 2010
I don't believe Notch is purposely lying and I don't believe the Yogscast would do such things.

To be honest, I'm leaning towards Notch having misunderstood things.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
He donated $10,000 to Child's Play in Desert Bus for an auction yesterday. He is definitely not an asshole.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Macrobstar said:
Turns out notch made it up,
Spurious reasoning. What if he was misinformed? By jump to assume deception on his part?

If a kid or their parents complain to him that these people had been verbally abusing kids, it is the NON-ASSHOLE thing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

This should be sorted out with individual conference, talking via emails or phonecalls or video conference. Not open letters.

Delritho

Aug 12, 2009
Nouw said:
He donated $10,000 to Child's Play in Desert Bus for an auction yesterday. He is definitely not an asshole.
Giving money to charity doesn't stop one from being an asshole.

Venatius

Mar 7, 2010
So, where do we get to vote on who's right? I see a ton of people saying "Well, I'm going with X" or "My support is with Y". So where do you get to actually submit that to make some kind of difference?

I can also only assume the omission of WHY Notch actually went from ambiguity to actually naming specific parties on Twitter is part of the whole "Only the facts that support my predetermined side are relevant. It's more important to be agreed with than to be informed," attitude that's proliferating in here. Along with people outright deliberately deceptively labeling statements in the fervent hope nobody will follow up on checking what was actually said. I mean, I guess it's justified, since it does earn more votes in the big poll that will determine which party will get their fingers ritually broken, so I suppose the ends justify the m-

Wait, what? It doesn't actually make a single sliver of difference who "sides" with who?
Oh, then I guess people are just more interested in being agreed with than actually discussing the topic.

Side note: I've always found it grimly hilarious when people infer things about celebrities, positive OR negative, from their performances and/or scripted appearances. I can only assume these same people assume Charlie Chaplin was actually a mute.

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
kouriichi said:
I have to sign with Notch.

The yogs are a couple of spoiled internet celebs, and they act like it.

They did a Lets Play of Space Marines that was 15 minutes of them complaining about the game, when they were just bad at it. >.>;

Not to mention, if nothing bad HAD been done, why would Notch bring this out, and start lying for no reason? Im more inclined to believe Simon and Lewis were just acting up a bit.

As for paying for travel, food, ect. No one else got that did they? >.>; Simon an Lewis make alot of money off of youtube. Its not like they cant afford it. Wernt their tickets and rooms free? Rooms alone can be pretty expensive in Las Vegas, especially when there's a convention being held, and rooms can be book ahead of time.

I think the yogs were just being prima donna's, feeling that they were entitled to more then they deserve. Alot more of minecrafts success came from X (davidr64yt) then from the yogs.

Now dont get me wrong, ive been a fan of the yogs for a longtime. And in that time, ive come to realize they arnt exactly... Mature. >.>; I think they're famous because of minecraft. Not the other way around.
They dislike a thing you like = douchebags
Notch saying it was all a misunderstanding kind of makes it obvious nothing had happened otherwise he just would have stuck to his guns.
HA! Be informed, Yogs bought tickets for 10 people to fly to vegas plus food. All Notch did was pay for their room. They aren't rich and tbh they were speakers at the god damned thing, how unprofessional do you have to be to not pay for your speakers at your convention.
They have 1.2 million fans on youtube, they signed autographs for 6 hours and there were more who wanted. I would say they have a lot of sway in the minecraft commnunity.

This is their post, please read if you haven't. http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/mnau9/yogscast_response_to_notchs_twitterings/

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Delritho said:
Nouw said:
Giving money to charity doesn't stop one from being an asshole.
Well I guess it's both yes and no but what I've seen in this thread about him apologizing, I can still conclude that he is not an asshole.

silversnake4133

Mar 14, 2010
Lyri said:
silversnake4133 said:
Nah, Notch was just trollin'. He's a genius when it comes to that stuff, it's just a lot of his fans and the Yognau(gh)ts took his words way too seriously and thus back sassed him. He probably just wanted to punk the Yogscast and he did. I find the whole affair quite funny now. The Yogscast guys will probably get over it/figure it out soon enough, and after that they'll probably all have a good laugh about it and move on. Come on guys, even though he's a business man he can still have a little bit of fun every now and again right? I mean, if you were a part of a very successful video game company, wouldn't you play pranks on a few of your friends as well? I know I would. :D
First of all it greatly worries me you've associated this slander with trolling, what Notch didn't wasn't even close to trolling and in a business sense was completely unethical.
Yogscast has even lost subscribers and followers due to this little act of "trolling" which no doubt would cost them money.
Yogs have every right at the moment to lawyer up if they want too and take a shot at Notch.

Secondly you should probably read what was actually said by both parties and how Notch said it was a mistake on his part, he didn't say "PYSCH, I GOT U GUIZ GOOD LOLOLOMG"
You sound like one of those fanboys that would swoop down on Notchs foes just because he said they had a disagreement.
This wasn't trolling, the guy is a twat.
Well, judging from your response, it seems to me that you're the crazed fanboy here. Also, both the Yogscast and Notch have huge, dedicated fanbases that continue to grow with each passing day. I doubt that they're going to instantly go into bankruptcy over the loss of a few subscribers. Look I don't know if he was trolling or not okay? I've heard before that Notch can be a wicked troll sometimes with random matters on his twitter. Also, try to look at this issue from a different perspective other than the Yogscast's. Essentially, this was Mojang's first big-time convention, they probably wanted everything to go as smoothly as say Gamescon was in Germany. Here's the thing though, it didn't go as smoothly because of being understaffed, overworked and overstressed from of the amount of people that attended, and trying to keep to a relatively tight schedule. They didn't have the resources to be able to control everything that went down. Plus it is possible that communications could have been skewed when being relayed from the situation to the people in charge. Also, people can lie, it's a well in-grained thing that people do in times of stress. Besides Yogscast and the Mojang team, who else was there that was a really hot ticket item to see? Besides Deadmau5? Heck most of the people there were probably moderately popular Minecraft Lets Players with a few of their friends.

I have read the arguments, and from what the Yogscast had posted it seems like they were just as surprised as the community because of the supposed brevity of the situation. But unless someone besides the Yogscast, or Notch, who was there and knew about what happened explains what went down, then we really don't have any solid evidence do we? Don't go throwing your accusations at me because I have a different opinion of what happened. While I agree that this is really strange, I'm not defending Notch nor the Yogscast. But it seems that this is something that should be solved by the guilty parties, not through legalities. If the Yogscast really wants to lose money, getting themselves a lawyer and suing for slander is what will do it. This is a very gray area with most of the "evidence" being a "he said, she said" kind of thing. Notch doesn't seem like the type of guy to just instantly attack someone that he's had good company with over something as silly as cursing. That's why I believe something went wrong in the communication of the "events" and Notch reacted accordingly. This is already a big enough shit storm thanks to nosey fans, and I bet either party would just love for it to go away, but thanks to their statuses over the internet, it won't.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
I love how everyone assumed that Notch was the one who was lying just because those yogscast ass-holes said he was, because based on their videos they have all the maturity and integrity of of a drunken frat boy. I suspect that both parities are at fault to a degree.

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
weker said:
Macrobstar said:
After yogscast posted this well written statement notch said fair enough and apologised so hes not really disagreeing anymore is he? Also some guy linked some articles in the thread
So far his apology sounds like it is about calling them out about it (only article i noticed), it's still jumping to conclusions to call notch an out right lie.

Notch said "Hey, @yogscast! Sorry about being a dick," 3 hours ago.