So, Pirates are Playing Diablo 3

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
GiglameshSoulEater said:
Another issue this kind of DRM means is that what happens when Blizzard shuts down or scrolls back he servers? I guess people will no longer be able to play.
This is why I preferred old games. They don't have crap like this.
Eh, all that's happen is you'll start playing on the pirate servers, just you do for most online-capable games from dead companies

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
TheKasp said:
Adam Jensen said:
Me neither. It doesn't look like something that's been in the works for 12 years. More like 2 years.
Did they say that it was in development for 12 years? I am pretty sure it were just ~4y or so.
They were developing it secretly in house for a number of years either before or after WoW came out, then somewhere along the way they shit-canned the whole project and started from scratch. That was maybe 4 or 5 years ago, but in "total" they've been developing it for much longer. Not 12 years mind you but much longer than 4 years. People just assume it's been in development for 12 years since D2 was released that long ago. The reality is that WoW's initial release sucked up most if not all of their resources and it wasn't until it resulted in swimming pools of money that they could focus on D3 in earnest.

Honestly wish I could say where I read that, it was either here or on the D3 website some months ago.

OT: Hmm, true or not I've no doubt they'll get around to circumventing the system eventually. Good thing I'm not a Diablo fan or I'd be really pissed right now.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
evilneko said:
The RMAH could've been protected without forcing single player to be online.
Really? How so then?

people keep saying this, and yet have no idea what they are talking about. There is no way to do it. Having an offline mode, means all the data, (Including items) has to be stored on the customer computer. If the data is already on your computer, it is trivial to take the data, decrypt it, and duplicate it. This is exactly what happened in D2, and this is exactly what they aim to prevent in D3.

If you have a solution to somehow solve this dilemma, please, by all means, reveal it.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Darkmantle said:
evilneko said:
The RMAH could've been protected without forcing single player to be online.
Really? How so then?

people keep saying this, and yet have no idea what they are talking about. There is no way to do it. Having an offline mode, means all the data, (Including items) has to be stored on the customer computer. If the data is already on your computer, it is trivial to take the data, decrypt it, and duplicate it. This is exactly what happened in D2, and this is exactly what they aim to prevent in D3.

If you have a solution to somehow solve this dilemma, please, by all means, reveal it.
So, according to various people here, and various external sources, D3 operates much like an MMO. Level generation, item and mob placement, loot drops, all are calculated server-side. There's no reason multiplayer couldn't operate like that, while at the same time having the code available to do it locally for single player. Sure, hackers could reverse-engineer the data, figure out how to insert arbitrary items if they want, but big deal--it's single player.

Online, everything can be handled by the server. The server tells the client what items are in its inventory, equipped, dropped by mobs, everything. If the client tries to tell the server otherwise, the server can just reject it. They could go one further, and not only reject the data, but the client itself could be booted. That could get annoying if something started causing false positives though.

Maniclings

Jan 14, 2010
NortherWolf said:
snowplow said:
This game marks the acceptance of several things:
Always online DRM for singleplayer
Ridiculous money schemes (HI 30% BLIZZARD CUT FROM AUCTION)
Shit graphics
Shit gameplay
Shit voicework
Shit story

This is the future. Gamers willingly pay $60 for this trash, proving to the industry that gamers will buy anything as long as its made by a well known company.

I'd rather give up gaming as a hobby than see another idiot praising Diablo 3 (DURR 9/10 ACROSS THE BOARD DESPITE IT BEING OBJECTIVELY SUBPAR)

shintakie10 said:
...incomplete piece of garbage.
You don't need emulated Diablo 3 for that, the legal purchasable game is more than enough to fit that description.
Don't forget that some gamers cheer that evolution on.

To a very large group of posters in this thread; Thanks for reminding me why I genuinely despised Blizz-fans.
I really don't see how the graphics are so shit, or why they need to be the main focus of the game, I am very happy with the graphics in D3 and I really don't see why they would need to be UBER STYLES BEST GRAPHICS EVAR!!!! like that is the only thing that matters ;/. The game was never trying to break any records with the graphics, blizzard has never been about making crazy graphics, but they have always consistantly made amazing cut scenes and diablo3s are no exception.

The game play is actually really good and everything I expected from a diablo game, fun addicting and so intense in hardcore.

The voice work i havn't had a problem with, in some parts it is quite funny but I'm not really paying that much attention to it so far, I don't think it was ever meant to be the main focus of the game, same with the story.

However I enjoy the lore of the diablo series, and the setting of the game, its a lot of fun for me.

You know unlike other games that get released and that is basically the finished product apart from extra paid for DLC or expansions, where bugs are not really fixed, no patching is done, blah blah blah. I know blizzard will be patching this game, adding new features into the online system, providing great customer support, fixing any balance issues, any errors an bugs that come up. They will provide an excellent service for the game for a long time (Judging by their other titles, there were still patches applied to bw even 10 years after its release). The price is justified by the ongoing service they provide in upkeeping their game. That and the fact that the replay of this game is very high, I know I will enjoy it for a very long time, for me it is definately worth the price.

Blizzard is a good and solid company, they might not always get everything right but they consistantly make very good games and don't drop their standards.

The always online is not that much of a bad thing, it doesn't just prevent piracy(or at least delay it), it also prevents the game from being full of hacks and bots and duped items and all this other trash that can really make the multiplayer experience less, for me that is worth it.
I like the system they have made for the game to run this way aswell, it is so easy to join your friends games, or play alone if you want, I understand there are some issues with lag atm but I am confident Blizzard will make this not so much of a problem. They do actually address and fix issues their customers raise.

I am enjoying the gold auction house, I don't really care about the real money one, and I firmly believe it is not going to have any effect on the game for anybody except the people that use it. People can't buy hacked items, they have to drop in the game, the people who do buy these items have to play enouph to be at the right level to use them, and if you are really finding such a huge problem with it just play hardcore, the game is way more fun in hardcore anyway.

Yes they have appealed to a wider audience with d3, you can play more casual if you want in soft core, or you can play more intensly with hard core.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Haakong said:
lapan said:
Haakong said:
Dryk said:
Haakong said:
Good, now all the haters can play their "offline version", and us others can enjoy the great things the "online version" brings us. Win-win, everyones happy, discussion OVER!
What are these great advantages the online version brings?
Multiplayer, and bosses dropping pizzas.
And day long server outages rendering us unable to play. YAY!
Dont really mind em tbh. Ofc, wont be a blizz fanboy and deny it being total incompetence from their side (they knew it was going to be popular, and its not like they lack money :D ), but after a few reality checks it doesnt matter. Got so much other things to get done, so a days break just gives me time to wrap those things up.

Things like this just dont get to me, at all. Guess Im just not an angry person.
It was just annoying to have it happen on a weekend of all things...

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Aeonknight said:
Kahunaburger said:
Haakong said:
Dryk said:
Haakong said:
Good, now all the haters can play their "offline version", and us others can enjoy the great things the "online version" brings us. Win-win, everyones happy, discussion OVER!
Yeah, if only I could find a grindly clickfest P2W multiplayer RPG somewhere. Truly, Diablo III is revolutionizing the industry.
You know it's funny, you throw out "pay 2 win" in the case of diablo 3 like it's a prime example of "he who has the credit card conquers the game." But the availability of using the auction house to buy gear using ONLY in game currency kinda debunks that. It's a grey area of sorts. Yes, I used the AH to buy a better sword. I also didn't spend a dime besides what I paid for the game initially. Get drops, sell drops for gold, use said gold to buy better gear for yourself. It's a pretty standard setup for just about any MMO out there.

I know Diablo's not supposed to be an MMO but hey... never said it was perfect.
Sure, you don't have to use the P2W mechanics. But they are certainly there for those who want them.

Kingpopadopalus

May 1, 2011
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Kingpopadopalus said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Kingpopadopalus said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Baldr said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Why are we in a situation where people who stole Diablo 3 are able to launch the game and just... play, while people who purchased the game have to wait for servers to be fixed to play single player?

Steal the cracked game, play it.

Buy the game, don't get to play it.

That DRM sure did work >_>
Online only was never about the DRM or piracy. It was keeping the game less susceptible to cheating and hacks.
If they are worried about cheating and hacks, make an online mods and an offline mode, where a character made in the later cannot be used in the former and vice-versa.

This has nothing to do with hacks and cheats and everything to do with money.
Cause we all know how well that worked in d2.
It would work if they wanted it too, but they are so intent on squeezing money out of people with their real money auction house that they would never let it. See, all you have to do is make the single player version unable to connect to the servers. Done. If you start an offline character, they are permanently offline. Forever. No servers. No internet.

Fidelias said:
I know the game has been cracked. I know someone who pirated the game, using a server emulator or something. It looks just like my copy which I paid for, except his has no lag...

woot...
Totally fair how that works out, huh.
You missed the sarcastic point entirely. The point was that even if there were seperate online and offline people found ways to hack it. It happens no matter what game you play, take cod for example.
Um, I don't know if you actually play any of the Call of Duty games online, but hacking is very rare and anyone who does it very quickly finds themselves banned. I've played Modern Warfare 1 and 2, as well as Black Ops extensively and in all my years there, saw... maybe one hacker.

Besides, your entire point is irrelevant. You're saying there's no point in offering people single player content because people will find a way to hack multiplayer. Nice logic.
When did I say there was no point? I said that no matter how much you separate them people will still hack online so offering single player separate is not going to change if people hack online or not. Also, there are tons of hackers in cod games, play about an hour of CoD 4 and you'll find a hacked lobby on live.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Draech said:
Kahunaburger said:
Aeonknight said:
Kahunaburger said:
Haakong said:
Dryk said:
Haakong said:
Yeah, if only I could find a grindly clickfest P2W multiplayer RPG somewhere. Truly, Diablo III is revolutionizing the industry.
You know it's funny, you throw out "pay 2 win" in the case of diablo 3 like it's a prime example of "he who has the credit card conquers the game." But the availability of using the auction house to buy gear using ONLY in game currency kinda debunks that. It's a grey area of sorts. Yes, I used the AH to buy a better sword. I also didn't spend a dime besides what I paid for the game initially. Get drops, sell drops for gold, use said gold to buy better gear for yourself. It's a pretty standard setup for just about any MMO out there.

Sure, you don't have to use the P2W mechanics. But they are certainly there for those who want them.
I still dont get this non-sense of pay to win. There will be no gear on the RMAH that wasn't obtained through gameplay. P2W is a sentence used about micro transaction games where you have to pay to be competitive. It just doesn't work here.
No, P2W as 90% of the internet uses it covers games where paying money gives you a gameplay advantage at all, not just games where paying money is the only way to get a certain gameplay advantage. But that's just semantics. Regardless of what we call it, the RMAH is part of a pretty messed up trend in game development. Edmund Mcmillen has a lot to say about this sort of design - he's specifically talking about mobile games, but his comments can be generalized to games like Diablo 3 as well.

There is an on going theme these days to use a very basic video game shell and hang a "power up carrot" in front of the player. the player sees this carrot, and wants it! all the player needs to do is a few very rudimentary repetitious actions to attain it, once they get to it, another drops down and asks them to do more... but then the catch... instead of achieving these "goals" by running on the tread mill, you can instead just pay a single dollar and you instantly get to your goal! better yet pay 10 and unlock all your goals without even having to ever play the game!

words can not express how fucking wrong and horrible this is, for games, for gamers and for the platform as a whole... this business tactic is a slap in the face to actual game design and embodies everything that is wrong with the mobile/casual video game scene.

Kingpopadopalus

May 1, 2011
Kahunaburger said:
Draech said:
Kahunaburger said:
Aeonknight said:
Kahunaburger said:
Haakong said:
Dryk said:
Haakong said:

I still dont get this non-sense of pay to win. There will be no gear on the RMAH that wasn't obtained through gameplay. P2W is a sentence used about micro transaction games where you have to pay to be competitive. It just doesn't work here.
No, P2W as 90% of the internet uses it covers games where paying money gives you a gameplay advantage at all, not just games where paying money is the only way to get a certain gameplay advantage. But that's just semantics. Regardless of what we call it, the RMAH is part of a pretty messed up trend in game development. Edmund Mcmillen has a lot to say about this sort of design - he's specifically talking about mobile games, but his comments can be generalized to games like Diablo 3 as well.

There is an on going theme these days to use a very basic video game shell and hang a "power up carrot" in front of the player. the player sees this carrot, and wants it! all the player needs to do is a few very rudimentary repetitious actions to attain it, once they get to it, another drops down and asks them to do more... but then the catch... instead of achieving these "goals" by running on the tread mill, you can instead just pay a single dollar and you instantly get to your goal! better yet pay 10 and unlock all your goals without even having to ever play the game!

words can not express how fucking wrong and horrible this is, for games, for gamers and for the platform as a whole... this business tactic is a slap in the face to actual game design and embodies everything that is wrong with the mobile/casual video game scene.
Diablo has always been a P2W system. Blizzard just wants a hand in the money that is switching hands via its product.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Draech said:
Secondly you are making a strawman.
How so?

Draech said:
3rdly your attempt to give weight to your strawman you are name dropping someone quote completely out of context and with no relevance to what is going on.
Grindy games that establish a reward mechanic, then allow players to pay money for rewards? Sounds pretty relevant to me.

Draech said:
If his quote counts about D3 then his quote is incorrect since the same method of gear distribution was happening in D2.
Kingpopadopalus said:
Diablo has always been a P2W system. Blizzard just wants a hand in the money that is switching hands via its product.
The solution would be to design the game such that P2W isn't an issue in the first place, not to make it a core pillar of gameplay (to the extent that they remove core features like modding and an offline mode).

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Darkmantle said:
Separate online and offline characters. Still play online single player as you currently can where those can later be played with others and use RMAH but an offline mode as well for people who just want to play single player and not care for the online components, completely shut off from it making it still safe.

Immensely simple solution.

TomLikesGuitar

Jul 6, 2010
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Pandabearparade said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
This has nothing to do with hacks and cheats and everything to do with money.
Sorry, but you're wrong. The reason it's always online is -not- piracy, it's to add a layer of anti-hacking security, which is in turn necessary to make Blizzard money on the RMAH.

This is not a defense of that, by the way, I just want to see anger for the right reasons.
Wait, I think we sort of agree... Blizzard wants people to be unable to cheat and hack, as doing so would make their little auction house money grab useless.
The game is going to take up a shitload of server space.

Server space accrues costs.

Instead of having a monthly fee for a game of this magnitude, Blizzard released an streamlined method of real money item auctions (which people were doing on eBay anyway), and are taking a small amount of each transfer. They could potentially lose money off this idea, but it will help pay for the servers SOMEWHAT.

So stop bashing them for the freaking auction house.

Also, Diablo 3 is pretty sweet for anyone who has a stable internet connection (90% of you) and the ability to not get butthurt over silly little intricacies of games (apparently about 5% of you).

DazZ. said:
Darkmantle said:
Separate online and offline characters. Still play online single player as you currently can where those can later be played with others and use RMAH but an offline mode as well for people who just want to play single player and not care for the online components, completely shut off from it making it still safe.

Immensely simple solution.
That's exactly what Diablo 2 was and it didn't work.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
Baldr said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Why are we in a situation where people who stole Diablo 3 are able to launch the game and just... play, while people who purchased the game have to wait for servers to be fixed to play single player?

Steal the cracked game, play it.

Buy the game, don't get to play it.

That DRM sure did work >_>
Online only was never about the DRM or piracy. It was keeping the game less susceptible to cheating and hacks.
~If you truly believe that you are being incredibly naive. It's partly to promote the auction house, partly DLC. It doesn't stop hacking. WoW gets hacked and they are using the same system here. ~Not to mention, how does forcing you to be online stop hscks and cheating? If im playing offline, who cares?

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
I simply refuse to buy Diablo III until either the always on is removed or the server issues are fixed and an Australian server is setup (no I will not connect to a US server and lag just to play a SP game).
For a company that has the most popular MMO on earth and years of experience in MMO games not to mention popular games in general, its pathetic and disgraceful that the login issues are happening. If they want always on DRM, then they HAVE to make it work all the time, or else us gamers need to tell them to get stuffed.