So, what are you reading right now?

Jillian Andes

Feb 14, 2011
I just finished reading Under the Dome by Stephen King, and now I am reading War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells.

Under the Dome is a great novel, and is never boring, despite being over one-thousand pages. It's about a small town in Maine, that suddenly becomes trapped under an invisible "dome" that conforms to the borders of their town. The story focuses on the political struggle for power in the town, and finding a way to destroy the dome before the air inside runs out. It sounds really boring, but it's not.

War of the Worlds is much better in book form, I think. The War of the Worlds movie that came out a few years ago wasn't very good. Call me snobbish, but I feel like the 1890s time period that the original book was set in was a lot more fitting.

Zyntoxic

May 9, 2011
I'm almost finnished with Twilight, the third book in the stacraft "the Dark Templar Saga" series.

and I'm off to the book store to pick up "Ascension" the second Mass Effect book.

after that one I'm considering to start with the "a Song of Ice and Fire" series but feel kind of disheartened to know that the all books probably wont be finnish until like 7 years from now at best...

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
I'm currently reading The Shining by Stephen King, it's brilliant so far and next on my list of books to read is It by Stephen King

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
The Screwtape Letters by C.S.Lewis. It is one of my favourite books. It consists of letters between two demons plotting to corrupt a human known only as 'The Patient'. It's an interesting study on faith and morality. It's kind of resonant considering the struggle of science and faith these days.

Bobbovski

May 19, 2008
Monte Cassino: The story of the hardest-fought battle of World War Two by Matthew Parker. I also read/flip through a bunch of army books + the rule book for the game Flames of war.

ArtemusClydeFrog

Feb 1, 2011
I've just finished reading American Psycho (literally - like 5 minutes ago).

It's taken me longer than it usually does to read a book of the same size, but it was hard for me to get through since I found it genuinely nauseating at times and couldn't continue reading for longer periods of time.

I still find it a very interesting book, quite different from anything else I've read up until now. Very grim and gory, but also engaging, psychedelic, hilarious and even poetic at times. I'm glad I read it, but on some level I'm kinda glad I don't have to read it anymore as well.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Spaghetti said:
Right now I've just about finished "Rubicon - The Triumphy and Tradgedy of the Roman Republic."

After watching the HBO/BBC miniseries "Rome" and playing a couple of Roman themed city builders, I decided it might be worth learning some actuall Roman history.
For anyone wanting to learn a bit about Rome, particularly about Roman culture and the rise (and fall) of Caeser, this is a really good book. It's very easy to pick up and read and little to no prior knowledge is required. The author (Tom Holland) constructs an easy to follow narrative that touches on history, culture and the personalities and excentrisities of some of the major figures like Caeser, Pompey and Sulla. It's a book I'd recomend to anyone with even the slightest interest in history.
Sulla was a bit of a super villain, wasn't he? Oh, your Uncle was my sworn enemy and I'm setting up as a brutal dictator. Even though you hate my guts and I can tell you're very resourceful, I'm going to let you live, even though you didn't follow my super-villainous demand of divorcing your wife. (talking about Julius Caesar)

OT: Waiting for some books from Amazon. The second Scott Pilgrim book. A Song of Ice and Fire: Game of Thrones, and The Sword of Truth: Pillars of Creation.

silasbufu

Aug 5, 2009
I'm reading your post.

heh..

Not reading anything right now, except The Dark Tower comics, but guess that doesn't count.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
A Classical Education (the stuff you wish you'd been taught at school)
Effectivly, it teaches you the Latin alphabet, a few phrases in Latin and gives you all of the details on the Greek gods and goddeses and Roman history, due to its impact on the developement of the Western world.

ozuraravis

Nov 22, 2009
currently:

The Norton Shakespeare (at Cymbeline right now, so nearly finished)
The Antipope by Robert Rankin
Die Blechtrommel by Günter Grass
For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway
The Road by Jack Kerouac

Yeah, I usually read at least 3 books parallel, sue me.

from July 12: A Dance With Dragons

Hafnium

Jun 15, 2009
Listening to The Hitchhiker's Guide on audiobook, it's quite a task to follow, considering how many plot-changes and timeperiods are going on.

My girlfriend recently read the whole Dragonlance series (I think it was all of them, at least 12-15 books), and I've started on it.

About Obama's comment, I'm a bit disappointed that he made it a point about games. Games are a form of entertainment, that I find much more interesting than the others. It's not fair to bathe it in a negative light while not mentioning that the problem is inactivity and too much time spent on entertainment in general. I guess a president with a positive view on games would lose too much support.

Raptorace18

Dec 3, 2009
I am currently reading "Cutting for stone" by Abraham Verghese. The shear scope and depth of this book is impossible to put into words.

CazGirl

Feb 24, 2011
All Your Base Are Belong To Us by Harold Goldberg which is proving to be an interesting read :) and also the Sherlock Holmes Short Stories Omnibus but thats going verrrrry slowly. Good though!

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
At the moment?

Nothing. I'm waiting on the new books in a bunch series to come out(got the new Dresden Files preordered with a couple others :D) and my wallet to fill up more. I think I got a few books I can read or reread in the meantime, but I'm going to have to dig through my bookshelf which is a fucking mess right now.

The last thing I did read was the newest issue of American Riflemen yesterday.

Hobohodo

Jun 20, 2011
Im currently reading Yahtzee's book, Mogworld, I bought it simply on impulse, and am actually quite surprised with how entertaining it is.

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
Introduction to Quantum Mechanics and reading over spins makes my head spin, too.